Oz/ Kiwi Ktm 690 Riders Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rosscoact, Jun 27, 2008.

1. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    Gecko have the 690E in. I sat on it, stood on the pegs, sat on it again walked around, sat on it again.

What a wonderful piece of machinery, the quality is obvious, the ergonomics exactly right (for me). I know the sales monkey since my Ducati days and he is a pretty straight shooter. He has bought one and ordered the racks too although he couldn't give me a price on those.

The only reason I didn't slap the deposit down then & there was the lack of long distance tank. It's an interesting exercise with the tank over the rear wheel but I'm sure Aqualine will work it out.

I told wifey the price and that I was buying it, unless she bought it for me first (I have a big birthday in Feb 09). No firm undertaking from her yet but I have seen my next bike and I'm excited.:clap :clap I'm going orange.

The only downside is the mirrors are a bit gay and an aftermarket muffler would be a must.
  2. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Saw one at our local dealer.

To tell the truth I didn't like the look of them in the pics I had seen of them but it's one sexy bike in the flesh.

I was quoted 15 and a half K on the road, and I must say I very nearly started proceedings to get a loan.

The only reason I'm not orange now is that our local KTM dealer is the local Harley dealer, All they have in is Harley's, still power equipment and a couple of KTM's as an after thought.

I wouldn't trust a Harley dealer with my DR so there is no way in hell I would trust them servicing a 690...
  3. rosscoact

Oddometer:
    I agree in the pictures/flesh difference. I reckon KTM road bikes are about the ugliest pieces of machinery going around, sort of like a electromagnet picked up random bits of metal or the Citroen transformer car halfway through.

The trouble with Gecko is that they aren't the sharpest knives in the draw when it comes to mechanics and also they want $16,150 on the road, bastards.
  4. maccajim

maccajim Holding the Awesome

Oddometer:
    Sweet Orange,
    Go the KTM, I just got 1 after a lifetime of hondas and kawasakis the ktm is definetly planned for use, it has a simple easy to tear down build. I'm just learning but at the moment with my 640 with the ergo hand wrench wack on the 8mm socket u can pull all the plastics off in 2 min, do airbox check battery etc.
    It is designed smliar to the subaru rally cars eas to strip fix back on the road.
    plus the suspension is sweet fully adjustable
    see out there
  5. Sylvia

Sylvia vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer:
    The the orange is strong in this one........ :lol3

Who will be next?

G'Day Rossco.
  6. rosscoact

Oddometer:
    Gday Ross,

Yes, I've seen the light and it shines like a pumpkin. After spending a shitload getting the DR and DRZ adventure capable I'm thinking the quality of components make it a no brainer.

I reckon they need to move the mapping switch up to the dash so you can do it on the fly but when one starts making critisisms like that you're obviously looking hard

Yep, I'm sold 100%
  7. Sylvia

Sylvia vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer:
    G'day Rossco,
    I hope it is all you want it to be mate. It sure looks like a good platform by all accounts. There selling pretty well worldwide so the after market companies are sure to get in the swing with some goodies as well.
    Keep us posted and I'm a +1 for your upcoming bash :D
  8. aussieJase

aussieJase herder of cats

Oddometer:
    hey roscoe, josh and I were in there today (early though) and had a chat to an older bloke who had a shiny KTM jacket on, hadn't seen him in there before and thought he was over qualified to work there (he was nice for starters). looks like a good bit of kit but needs safari to do some work with it
  9. Canuck in Oz

Canuck in Oz you still here

Oddometer:
    KTM Newcastle (formerly Track & Trail) just received 2, 1 for sale and 1 demo.
    I'm not sure who this bike is targeted at. The small tank is a horrendous mistake I think. Wasn't it the old hard enduro that KTM offered a special kit for.. 18L tank, tank bad and something else. Didn't they learn their lesson about a small tank on an open class thumper? Haven't they seen the popularity of the DR, KLR, etc.. with large tanks??
    Another big problem I see with the 690E is the modular rear end for starters. No traditional frame to weld lugs or drill and bolt racks/pannier frames to. No home fabricators need apply. You must ride as purchased thank you very much. The stock 690E doesn't even have a midget rack like to 640/625LC4!!!
    The much more modifyable "old school" 950SE is looking more attractive by the minute.
    Even the promised proprietary long distance options KTM planned to offer has been shelved. No that many would buy them anyway, as the prices would probably make even Bill Gates wince.
    I'm starting to have doubts even about the 690ADV. If it follows the same basic design, it will be very difficult to personalise. Sure it'll have a bigger tank and hopefully some sort of rack, but if it's not exactly the size/design that works for you.. too bad so sad.

ADV riders are not racers - 690E non-ridden rating = [​IMG]
  10. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    WHere's the maping switch on them stock Rossco?

On the exc's its just a wire down near the left radiator you disconect to activate the soft map, or plug in the handlebar map switch's wires.

Handle bar map switch -

[​IMG]
  11. rosscoact

Oddometer:
    Under the seat. So it's lift the seat, flick the switch and off you go. Funnily enough, the airbox intake faces towards the back (it's very high up too, should be up for some great creek crossings pics) and it needs a couple of torxs screws to be undone to gain access.

Rob, yeah, I think the OEM pannier racks do the job for both the seat and pannier bags. Given I'm absolutely hopeless with any sort of that stuff, I'm looking for the least intervention from me. I assume that if they are popular which I assume they will be, the aftermarket guys will follow the money. A date and a spec on the adventure would be the only thing that would stop me from buying the enduro.

jase, I was talking to Graham who didn't have a shiny KTM jacket, but he's been there for ages

Well, I said to wifey, "I posted the 690 on the forum and everybody reckons I'd be mad not to buy one". Her reply, "You'll have to wait for your birthday". My response, "Do I have to wait until February, that's a long time":lol3 See you in Araluen, on orange:rilla :ricky
  12. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Rossco, Orange is a nice ride, but be aware that they like loctite, torque wrenches, and lotsa loving over time. You profess to be a bit spanner-shy, so be prepared to start learning. A 1/4" drive torque wrench can be purchased from Gasweld in Fyshwick for about $55. You'll need one, as they aren't as forgiving of gorilla mechanics as their asian counterparts.
    I'm no race mechanic but always happy to assist if needed.
  13. rosscoact

Oddometer:
    Tom,

I am possibly the greatest asset the shops have. I am the personification of Murphy's law. Two years warranty does give me hope though.

And yes, I would be very grateful for any assistance
  14. LeglessOne

LeglessOne Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can provide the butter - oh i mean loctite:lol3
  15. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the DR is for sale ?
  16. rosscoact

Oddometer:
    Bloody hell, is this compulsory if I go Orange?:rofl

sigh, well yes, I guess so

I'll put some ads up tomorrow......bloody vultures sense the fallen corpse:lol3
  17. LeglessOne

LeglessOne Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. rosscoact

Oddometer:
  19. LeglessOne

LeglessOne Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer: