'05 FJR1300 in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hoseclamp, Jul 20, 2004.

1. hoseclamp

hoseclamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been focusing on either a GS1150 or a V-strom for a bike that I can take deep into Mexico, but I found a SMOKING DEAL on a '05 FJR1300 w/ ABS. Someone put a deposit on the bike, $3,000 Canuck peso, and backed out. The dealer wants to dump the bike (they're up north, rare a bike sale) at thier cost minus the $3,000, so they don't lose a dime, just get rid of it. I'm not saying the price, HEHEH, but it is MOST DEFINITELY worth looking at. Anyone ride a FJR into Mexico, would it be out of it's element there?

Thanks for the info, eh!!

hoseclamp.
  2. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    it's the rider.

Just buy a damn bike and do it. :nod
  3. dr650bc

dr650bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my brother has an fjr1300 and it is one sweet highway bike. Unbelieveable motor - docile when you want to go slow but an animal when you spank it - 10.95 1/4 mile - 149mph top end. You may disappear into another dimension with a bike like the FJR and your roads in Northern BC

but -- it is a heavy bike with a heavy feel in the front end. you wouldn't want to take it in the dirt at all and it hammers a bit on bumpy roads. The frame pours out heat in a big way so it might be uncomfortable in mexico

for long fast highway stretches though, it makes the v-strom feel like a tractor, gets equal or better fuel economy(50-55mpg cdn ga). A bit less legroom than the V-Strom and the bars are lower . I still prefer my v-strom as I can explore the many dirt backroads around bc. My brother needs to park his FJR and load the XR200 into the truck to follow me.
  4. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I have not ridden an FJR in Mexico, but I did ride a Katana 750 and a VFR, which are of similar road-worthiness . Obviuosly, it will limit your ability, no that's not right, your eagerness, to take some of the great dirt roads people post here so often. Obviously, if you have the ability to handle (and risk droping) a heavy, plastic clad bike on gravel roads, you could try some of those roads even on the FJR, but there is a lot more to Mexico than just dirt roads. Some of the roads are not as well paved as you may be used to, but I have driven/ridden road cars/street bikes without any problems. And then there are a lot of really excellent roads, on which the FJR will be right at home. Just watch out for the topes as you drive through towns.They will take your wheel, fairing and headers if you don't give them the respect they deserve.

Gustavo