Arai XD-4 helmet whistling.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Scotty4x4, Dec 9, 2012.

1. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    My XD3 whistles... :cry

viz
  2. searchin oz

searchin oz Sand, Gimme more sand

Oddometer:
    Is it wrapped in parachute pants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    New_English likes this.
  3. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    I have the XD4 and when I wear goggles, with the visor shut, there is the slightest whistle at over 80 kph. without the goggles no whistle at all regardless of what direction my head is pointed , standing or sitting.

It is considerably noisier sitting than standing due to the screen on the bike (F800GS) but at 6'4" it probably was not designed for my height.

My old RJ's Dakar used to whistle very bad if there was a wind from approximately 45 degrees and it used to twist my head as well. No such problems with the Arai, I consider it money well spent.

Take it back, if they will not do something about it, hit them with it. That always seems to get a response.
  4. The Friar

The Friar Bugger, lost again

Oddometer:
    Have the xd three. Bikes a KLR and the wind noise is rather bad as you said, anything over 40ish it starts. I've learnt something, might try the foam rubber thing. See what that does. The screen I've got is a MRA Vario touring screen and I think it just doesn't push the air up and over. So I have resigned myself to the noise,and just wear ear plugs all the time. But after reading this thread I might experiment and see what happens. Very happy with helmet generally speaking. Would definitely get another.
  5. Scotty4x4

Scotty4x4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey thanks for the replys everyone..

the whislte is loud.. not to a tune just loud.. lol

i found the noise to be the peak. tape some of the smaller holes on the peak and it made no difference. i took it back to the shop i brought it off last saturday and they rang the supplier got some info about it. she said all of them have wind noise and can whislte. but they cant take a helmet upon return or to be swapped.. so this has left me with a $800 helmet that i hate.. and wasted most of my tax on this year.

i love the comfort, all of the features and the helmet design itself, but i cant even ride to work with it, without the thing whistling in my ears.

i was told to run it without the peak. which is silly cause if i wanted to do that i would of brought a road helmet.

so next thing i am going to do is email arai, see if i can get help out of them.

im not trying to get my money back either, or try and get a brand new one out of them i just want the helmet to stop whislting without having to modify my $800 helmet..
  6. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would you like to try an earlier peak on it to see if there is a difference? The original torance ( xd 1 ) had the peak vents more to the side, the peaks are interchangeable. If you cover return postage you're welcome to try my old one. ( grey)

I'm a bit confused though, my xd4 peak only has the one set of holes, so I'm not sure what you mean by some of he smaller holes??? Picture?

Have you tried it ithout peak o make bsolutely sure it's the peak??
  7. Scotty4x4

Oddometer:
    i just sent arai a email. so i will see what happens.

yer what i ment by the smaller hole was the 2. there is only 2 holes in the peak on the xd4. sorry should of been explained more.

that was the 3rd thing that i did was running it without the peak. and the noise was gone once i removed it, i spent about a hour just fiddling with different venting options, adjusting the peak slighty, peak removed, and after locating the postion of the noise i taped up the 2 holes on top of the peak, but the tape was on the underside of the peak not the top where the graphics are.
  8. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't heard whether you're using earplugs... Maybe that's the answer, or maybe you simply have a bad case of tinnitus from not using earplugs?

My XD4 whistles only if I crank my head back and look at the sky... Aerodynamics at play, the helmet is not at fault... Seek a solution grasshopper, your head is worth much more than 800 bucks.
  9. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    Did the tape stop or reduce the noise?
  10. Scotty4x4

Oddometer:
    No It didn't do a thing. So it must pick up in between the peak and helmet gap.

I was riding home the other day tho and it started raining lightly/but enough to be wet, and at the same speeds same road it doesn't whistle at all! The helmet was the best thing I have every rode with. Lol.

Arai never emailed me back either. Might email again tonight
  11. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you close any vents in the rain?
  12. Wallaby_Ted

Wallaby_Ted You call that a bullbar?

Oddometer:
    Did you try this yet? Here's a photo of what i have done.

[​IMG]
    Rus and New_English like this.
  13. Scotty4x4

Oddometer:
    i will try that next. thanks for the photo!

no all the vents were still open the same.. it was only drizzeling...
  14. JD

JD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did a few hundred K's today with a bit of foam stuck up under the visor like has been suggested.

All vents wide open, not exactly a quiet helmet but no whistling.
    New_English likes this.
  15. BoundaryRider

BoundaryRider ApprenticeAdventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had similar problems with the same helmet,until I changed the screen with an extra 8cm in height that fixed it. Ride a different bike first just in case you've got a lemon.
  16. philth

philth www.motorbikin.com.au

Oddometer:
    what are these buckets worth?
  17. podge NT

podge NT Podge NT

Oddometer:

More than a poor dairy farmer can afford, anyway it whistles and you wouldn,t like that. :evil:evil:evil
  18. TigerNoir

TigerNoir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    $700-$800 Phil.:puke1
  19. xrxtz

xrxtz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine works very well. Much better than my old Zeus. (bloody well want to at $799 v $250 or so. Very comfortable even in the south with a balaclava etc. About 7000 ks now 3000 road and the rest dirt, tracks etc dirt. Yeah there all right. Speakers from Zumo/ipod/uhf etc work ok as well. They are very good in the rain as well.
  20. Chipper

Chipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any new items here? I just got new KTM hardparts xd4 and it whistles! For what cost that's crazy. Gonna try the foam tape since that's exactly where coming from, visor to helmet gap. But it is beautiful!
    New_English likes this.