Santa brought me a new pony! G/S refresh...

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by DiabloADV, Dec 26, 2013.

1. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    This looks bad, but it's actually worse. Imagine everything you ever did to keep your bike nice. None of that was done to this one.

[​IMG]

The goal here is, Safe, Running Good, Clean. Not a restoration...more in the realm of "deferred maintenance." The other goal is, Quick. Like a few weeks. Will do top-end reseal, de-carbon, clean up electrics, and safety items.

[​IMG]

Battery don't fit? No worries, just move the top of the shock outboard.

[​IMG]

10 years in storage with a leaky master...

[​IMG]

Dirty...but at least the rear end is dry. Going to leave the RMS alone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Frame is bare now. There is enough roughness and rust that I'm going to have it properly blasted and powdercoated. After I grind off those welded aux. light mounts. Parts in the mail from Max, and hope to be on the road in mid-Jan.
  2. DiabloADV

Oddometer:
    Oh...and, yes, there was a mouse nest in the airbox.
  3. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    How'd that fit down the chimney?!

When I was a kid I always thought it would be cool to have a truck,car or bike that looked like hell but ran Hell too!

Looks like fun, keep us posted.
  4. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Looks good ... complete. Perfect place to start.
  5. DiabloADV

Oddometer:
    No side panels. :-(

Since I've not seen one of these in person before this one...can somebody get me a pic of the proper rear turn signal mounting setup? I'm just guessing that these rubber hoses are not OEM...

[​IMG]
  6. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's crying out for a bit more loving than you describe. I'd strip it down and have all of the black stuff re-coated, no doubt about it. This is the time to do it.
  7. AntonLargiader

Oddometer:
    The rubber hoses aren't original (obviously) but they are a good solution that I have used on Airheads and Oilheads. Done tastefully, of course.
  8. DiabloADV

Oddometer:
    I was planning to paint the starter cover and the timing cover fin gaps. Airbox base, bars, triple top plate, front signal mounts...what else gets black paint besides frame and crash bars?

Oh...and I need a right side crash bar if anybody has one.
  9. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    You should have made yourself a big parts list and ordered from MotoBins instead of Max that would have saved you some dough. Looks like a fun project. I'm with Anton, sand blast the complete frame not that much more work. Don't forget to get some R1150 drain plugs and crush washers to plug the air injection.

Check the input shaft bearing on the tranny for smoothness. Drop the oil pan and clean it and inspect the oil pick up for tightness.

BTW- just paint the crash bars with wet paint not powder coat...as if you ride the G/S the way it was intended you'll be touching them up quite often. Powder coat doesn't touch up well.

I like a black painted Alt cover. When this one was refreshed, the rear frame, battery box, starter cover, alternator and timing covers, saddle bag mounts, rear rack and the starter covers were sand blasted and powder coated......

[​IMG]
  10. DiabloADV

Oddometer:
    So far, parts list is just seals and gaskets, plus oil pressure and neutral switches (both leaking badly). Steering bearings...good domestic price is Allballsracing.

My big worry right now is the master cylinder plunger. Won't know till I get that bit all freshened up, and it's not a cheap part.

Pulse air system removed...head adapter fittings came right out. You say R1150 oil pan plugs will fit in the head holes?
  11. AntonLargiader

Oddometer:
    Subframe, swingarm, center stand, battery tray, front nacelle mounting tabs, shift lever, brake lever, rack, handlebar bar clamps, crash bar clamps, rear rack (but not the chrome one). That's all I see in my box here. I'm going through the same thing right now with a PD.
  12. AntonLargiader

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't for a moment consider re-using that master cylinder, but if the price of a new one puts you off then you definitely won't want to do the powdercoating.
  13. DiabloADV

Oddometer:
    I was thinking I'd take just the frame and subframe to the powdercoater. The swingarm is surprisingly clean...can sand and spray that and then don't need to disassemble it and put in new bearings.

The rest of the bits are serving as lessons in patient sanding for my two teenagers. They need gas money to go surfing.
  14. DiabloADV

Oddometer:
    Don't trust the whole handle/perch assembly, or just the plunger?
  15. AntonLargiader

Oddometer:
    The master cylinder is the ~$200 piston and housing. It's more than just the $70 plunger but less than the complete control assembly.
  16. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    complete MC at Motobins ($156) is cheaper on the MC than stateside dealer (MAX $284)...yes 1150 drain plugs..
  17. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    Get your shopping list and head for Redwood City. I'll be in the shop finishing a couple G/S builds, a /6 and a /5. Have plenty of parts for you..some already powder coated..bring the old ones. What you have is what I usually start with so BTDT.

Call first

18. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice offer Greg! I'd take him up on it! Congrats on the G/S!:1drink
  19. GrahamM

GrahamM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well done in deed. Mine is all apart as well. Tank is out getting a new internal coating ($120) then it will be out for paint - Alpine white with decals:), frame reinforcements are in process of getting water jetted. Once I get them welded in I can do the powder coating... Sound like a plan not to coat the crash bars.

I am going with very flexible led blinkers, getting a custom bracket water jetted to mount them to to the rear rack, included will be a secondary 100mm wide led tail/brake combo on the same bracket... When I have it all together I will shoot a few pics. The blinker are kosso and the tail/brake is one I pickup at Louis.de in Germany.

Pickup up a 09 KTM 530 with a bent crank... Front forks are being adapted to the g/s along with bar mounts and steering stabilizer...

Once I start the reassembly I will create a running thread on my progress. My present challenge is getting the bearing races out of the swing arm.
  20. 685

685 Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer:

I just got a set, ~$22 shipped from Amazon.