HPN - I just want one

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Dakar83, May 4, 2012.

1. Dakar83

Dakar83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two steps forward one step back!

After performing faultlessly over the 2 days of the off road course I washed the bike down and the next day went for a ride. About 3km from home the engine cut out, It restarted ok but started back firing a little then cut out again. Progressively this worsened until I couldn't ride any further. The bike starts easily and idles well, but when it's rolled off the centre stand or rocked back and forth it cuts out. No more backfiring it runs fine then cuts out as though the kill switch had been activated. As I say after each cut out it starts again fine.

I thought maybe some water had got in where it shouldn't be, fuel is fine, spark is fine so there must be a some electrical fault?
    I left the bike for a day hoping it might dry out, but no change so I started checking out the connections. After an hour having checked and tightened all the connections I could think of and emptying both float bowls to make sure there was no water contamination. I try again but no luck. Now I'm stumped, any ideas?
  2. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:

Hey Mike, Is this you?

[​IMG]
  3. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    ignition related, afterfiring would indicate no spark.
    something cuts out when it gets warm, perhaps.
    Not sure what ignition system its got, but do you have a spare known working ignition (bean) can to swap in? Or CDI controller, bolted to the bikes backbone? Seems like the problem comes from what is controlling the spark.
  4. RecycledRS

RecycledRS Along for the ride

Oddometer:
    Check for the famous cracked coil.
  5. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

Maybe your boots aren`t quite up to snuff. I did a BMW course some years ago with Simon Pavey (name drop) and Wayne Clarke as instructors. The bikes were 650 Dakars and had the standard narrow foot pegs; I wore BMW road boots. After two days of standing on the pegs my legs were pretty sore as well, so when I got home I bought some strong adventure boots and fitted wider Fastway pegs to my 1100GS. With the lower Fastways and handlebar risers I could ride standing up for many kilometres if I needed to with no ill effects.

18 Months after the first course, I did the trail bike course on an Xchallenge. They had wider pegs as standard and with my stronger boots, I had no trouble standing on the pegs for the two day course. As soon as the bike got moving, we had to stand up and were yelled at if we weren`t.

A mate of mine uses Pivot Pegs with the centreing (is that a word?) spring removed and claims it is more comfortable.
  6. Dakar83

Dakar83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Rucksta, no the pegs won't fold back only pivot, but I can't see this being a problem.
    The adapters only fit one side so flipping them won't work. These adapters are Mk1, perhaps there will be a lighter Mk2 which can solve the folding issue.
  7. Dakar83

Dakar83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coils are new and no cracks visible.
    Managed to ride up and down my street today, the bike will rev up but under load it stalls on all but gentlest deceleration?
  8. Dakar83

Dakar83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike runs an enduralast ignition and 450w alternator, so no bean can.
  9. Dakar83

Dakar83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was using a well worn pair of BMW Santiago boots, I found the pegs angled slightly back so most pressure was on the front ridge ie very narrow section. Now with the Pivot Pegz fitted it should be no problem.
  10. Dakar83

Dakar83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are some pictures from the BMW off road course held at Kirup earlier this month

The motocross track with hills and trails in the background

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the single trails through the trees
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hill climb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    What`s the story with the hill climb? It`s obviously a lot steeper than it looks in the first pic.
  12. RecycledRS

RecycledRS Along for the ride

Oddometer:
    Folding pegs serve two purposes, first they allow the peg to survive a hard bump with an immovable object and second they give way when they hit your leg after you've planted it for a turn, log, etc. If you have ever been nailed by a non pivoting peg you'd remember.
  13. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    This looks like a nice fix and I was about to ask if Frank made a batch of 'em.

Reading the thread further, sounds like the trade off is that though they still pivot, no folding back. I've got a traction and balance shortcoming that too frequently leads to kissing mother earth so may not be just right for my riding style. :lol3

Seems like a good approach though, maybe I can build on it.

fwiw - broke 4 metatarsals in some Santiago's. Walked around with 3 non union (no heal) for a couple of years (yes, I didn't give them enough time) before going back to Dr. Got 2 back together non surgical but big toe is 1/2" shorter and titanium reinforced. Crossfires in the dirt these days.

14. Dakar83

Dakar83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it was a great hill, the main picture doesn't do it justice. It was steep and long, heavily rutted and what you can't see in the pictures were a number of deep wash outs / ditches running across the hill. It was also strewn with heaps of rock. A good challenge!
  15. Dakar83

Dakar83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I acknowledge the reasons for folding pegs, these will fold but at the moment in and up and forward direction, not up and back. the configuration of the boxer motor tends to prevent the pegs grounding but that said it would be preferable to have hem fold up and back. Still this was prototype 1 and sets the challenge to come up with an improved design to encompass folding.
  16. ms-oz

ms-oz Mike

Oddometer:
    Hi Jason, yep it's me the limping polarbaer, MS-OZ. ta for the photos and for all the nice reports about you racing "die gummikuh" through WA.
    Dakar83 is "John" he got himself a G/S in HPN lock, build with copys of my tankdecals, colled HPM made here in WA.
  17. Dakar83

Dakar83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well the HPM is back on the road, the problem was water which had migrated along the HT leads and into the coil. The coils have a rubber boot which is cable tied in place so I was a bit surprised. Anyway good to find out close to home and not 000's km away in the outback.
    Dave's solution after drying the coil was to pack silicon under the cap and then reseat it. The silicon should set and keep water out.
    So today i enjoyed 140km of trouble free riding, up to Mundaring for quick gravel fix in the hills.

I called in to see Frank at the fabrication shop on the way back, we have a new design for the Pivot Pegz lowered and setback mount, this one will be lighter and simpler than the first one shown in an earlier post and best of all it will restore the proper folding action of the foot pegs. Frank will start work on it in a couple of weeks, so I will post up the results and some pictures in due course.

Back home spent some time setting up a descent tool kit to go in the tank wallet, all told a good day!
  18. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Is there an option for a group build with new design?

I spent 4hrs standing on oem last weekend and am in want of width.
  19. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Keep me in mind for a set of those if it goes ahead, I have trouble obtaining a comfortable standing position on airhead GS`. My R100GS special is starting to take shape and should be on the road before Xmas (hopefully).
  20. chicky

chicky BMW Rider

Oddometer:
    My R100GS special is starting to take shape and should be on the road before Xmas (hopefully).

Hi David .. :D

Any photos about the machine build-up .......

Chicky ....