2014 Giant Loop

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by OlafofOregon, Jan 21, 2014.

1. OlafofOregon

OlafofOregon Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    “. . . There is something heartening about a group of adventure riders down the street who have the vision and technical expertise to create top-shelf, functional motorcycle gear every bit as good (maybe even better) than their corporate rivals worldwide.” - Kit J. Vercella, January 2014, “Kit And Caboodle,” BMW Owners News magazine

[​IMG]

Happy New Year! As we begin the sixth year of this adventure we call Giant Loop, we'd like to thank YOU, the many ADV Rider friends and customers who make it all possible.

Seeing your photos, reading your stories, meeting many of you in person, getting the chance to ride together and hearing your feedback and suggestions energizes and encourages us to stay on the throttle.

We strive to continually innovate and improve your riding experience, not only with world-tested rackless soft luggage, but also with comprehensive, modular, customizable Adventure Proof Packing Systems.

Please consider this thread to be YOUR space to share your experiences, as we share news and updates about new Giant Loop gear — and the riders who inspire us everyday.

Go Light. Go Fast. Go Far.
  2. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Australian riders gearing up for a self-supported Simpson Desert crossing
    [​IMG]
    "Simpson Desert update: Philippe looks pretty pleased with himself. Two ten litre Rotopax - taking fuel capacity to 47 litres....enough to cross the desert and the Giant Loop Great Basin neatly tucked in and way back on the seat.":clap
  3. puuh_racing

puuh_racing Gravel!

Oddometer:
    Very pleased with my Mojavi + Coyote Dry Bag for the longer trips.

[​IMG]
  4. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Nice set-up! Like how you're using both the Dry Bag and Tool Pouch in combo on the MoJavi Saddlebag. Thanks for posting - we'd love to see/hear more about your adventures. Cheers!:freaky

5. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    New for 2014, Giant Loop's Buckin' Roll Tank Bag has been completely redesigned, making it fit virtually any motorcycle make/model and fuel tank combo.

Named for saddle pads used by rodeo cowboys, Giant Loop's Buckin’ Roll Tank Bag keeps all the essentials handy and out of the way when standing on the footpegs, making it the Tank Bag for those who don't like tank bags!

The Buckin’ Roll Tank Bag consists of three components, which can be used individually or in any combination: harness, center Tool Pouch case and Pannier Pockets.

[​IMG]
    The new Buckin' Roll is available in two configurations: COMPLETE and CENTER ONLY. The photos above are the COMPLETE option, which includes two 2-liter Pannier Pockets.
    [​IMG]

Here's the CENTER ONLY option:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Buckin' Roll Tank Bag - CENTER ONLY option is just the ticket for carrying a few small essentials.
    [​IMG]

We're in the process of getting our website update, but in the meantime, the 2014 Buckin' Roll Tank Bag is available in our webshop in both the CENTER ONLY and COMPLETE configurations.

If you're concerned about scuffing or scratching bodywork or plastics, get a package of Giant Loop's Vinyl Protective Film and install it beneath the Tank Bag's contact surfaces.
  6. cba191

cba191 wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer:
    would the great basin or the coyote work with the factory panniers on a 2002 tiger?
  7. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Cool bike!

Depending on how much gear you need to carry, the better options may be:

Fort Rock Top Case - For riding 2-up and carrying gear for two - 84 liters. Rides on top of panniers and tail rack, wrapping around pillon.
    [​IMG]

Tillamook Dry Bag - 38 liters, double ended roll top access, 100% waterproof.
    [​IMG]

Rogue Dry Bag - 17 liters, double ended roll top access, 100% waterproof.
    [​IMG]
  8. cba191

Oddometer:
    That Tillamook bag looks very cool. The rogue looks to be a little on the small side. It there a middle size? I think the Tillamook
    and a 24-28 liter would be perfect!

also, are there any adv discount codes? :)
  9. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If any of our Northern ADV Riders are at the Vancouver Motorcycle show stop by the PSSOR booth, I have a great selection of stuff to check out. I'm sold on the soft luggage and for my March trip to do the new AZBDR (and bits of the UTBDR) I have chosen GL as my bags of choice. The new Buckin Roll is an awesome fit on the F800GS. I've run a Mojave on my dirt bikes for over a year, I can't say enough good about this bag. I also have an older Great Basin that works great solo, but seeing SWMBO enjoys getting dirty with me I went to hard luggage, which is great for paved touring, but places weight farther out than I liked doing the COBDR and WABDR last year. So, I have a brand new, as of yet fitted set of Siskiyou panniers. I was going to lash them to the rack system, but decided I wanted them in closer and tighter to the bike. I also purchased 1 Tillamook bag and 2 Rogues. After getting them I decided I won't need all three, I thought my Redverz tent would take up all the room in the Tillamook-wrong!!!
    Needless to say, I am a GL Rider, I'll leave the poser/clone/copycat stuff alone:deal
  10. cba191

Oddometer:
    Also, do the Tillamook and rogue come with mounting straps?
  11. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, they do have a daisy chain for lashing points. I also bought several of the Pronghorn straps, works great. Double ended, no more emptying the entire bag for that thing on the bottom. My plans are to use the Rogue for clothes, and sleeping gear. The Tillamook will hold my tent, sleeping pad, stool, camp axe, shovel, and assorted tools. To balance the load I have a 3 ltr MSR water bladder. ADV on!!!!
  12. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:

CBA191 feel free to contact me for pics/thoughts/testing of the Fort Rock bag.

I give that bag a SUPREME rating both on the KTM 640 and the beemer RT. Lots of 2 up mileage and more to come in May.:lol3

Last July I did a write up with pics here in Vendors/ Giant Loop.

Contact if you wish more gale
  13. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    The Dry Bags may be bigger than the photos suggest. I can fit my sleeping bag and pad in one Rogue and my tent/poles in a second one. My whole sleeping kit fits in a single Tillamook. Also, the Tillamook's 38 liters is the MAX volume. By simply rolling down the ends you can easily make it half the size - easy to expand/contract.

For scale, here's the Rogue Dry Bag strapped behind the Great Basin Saddlebag:
    [​IMG]

Here's the Tillamook Dry Bag strapped to the top of the Siskiyou Panniers:
    [​IMG]

14. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    For straps, our Pronghorn Straps can be chained together to lash Dry Bags:
    [​IMG]

And we're also big fans of Rok Straps - especially for larger, heavier loads:
    [​IMG]
  15. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. Those Pronghorn Straps are awfully strong. I had a factory bag break its hardware halfway threw the WABDR and used the Pronghorn Straps as the only thing holding on one fully loaded KTM saddle bag for over 500 extremely rough and fast miles.
    I was more than impressed.
  16. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    :dealWe have a few 2013 closeouts available on our site at 15-20% off right now:
    2013 Buckin' Roll Tank Bag
    2013 Diablo Tank Bag (identical to 2014, except for harness)
    2013 Fandango Tank Bag (identical to 2014, except for harness)
    Great Basin Dry Bag

But on current-line product, we avoid discounting so as not to compete against our own hard-working dealers and distributors.

[​IMG]
    :dealADV Rider Discount
    When you order $40 or more (subtotal before discount) on our website, your choice of a Giant Loop cap or t-shirt will be discounted 90% (our shopping cart doesn't allow a 100% discount unfortunately - but it's a pretty sweet shirt/cap for $2!): GLteamwear
  17. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    :clap[​IMG]
    A HUGE congratulations to Giant Loop rider Riaan van Niekerk for a stellar 12th place finish at the Dakar Rally! Here's a pic of Riaan back home in South Africa training with his MoJavi Saddlebag (via GL's South African distributor, Desert Lizard).
  18. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    While our friend Riaan was at the front of the pack, racing Dakar, our friends at Boanoracing.com were supporting Dakar rider #173 Luca Viglio on his Boano built Beta Atacama 450RR.
    Luca finished the event in 76th position. Good work Boanoracing.com and Luca Viglio, another rider's dream for a Dakar finish has come true!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Beta was a work of art and careful preparation, created by Boano Racing. Luca had plenty of enduro experience to handle the challenge. Luca was mentioned a couple of times in the Dakar F5irehose, as he managed to finish a couple of stages by the skin of his teeth.

Here is a couple stories translated by fellow inmate auguzt:

19. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Giant Loop rider Tiffany Coates was one of the first people to put the new Pannier Pockets and Tillamook Dry Bag to the test. She toured solo and 2-up part of the time (which is why she needed the big Tillamook on her DR350). Check out her adventures in Madagascar here.
    [​IMG]
  20. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Great idea for a thread Olaf!

I've just been putting the finishing touches to my refurbished XR400 (40,000+ miles, I've lost count to be honest) - it's had an engine overhaul and I took the opportunity to strip everything down and powder-coat the frame, then check and re-assemble all the cycle parts, ready for more travel adventures... of course my Coyote and Mojavi will sit very comfortably on the new rear end!

[​IMG]

I will also be heading to the Tuareg Rallye in Tunisia this coming March - providing photos and PR for a selection for riders (as well as my general reporting here on ADV of course), and it will also be the opportunity to test our new LC4-50 Dakar (2015) bike in the desert... my plan is to then ride it home from Tunisia to the UK to really prove it's worth, and of course I shall me relying on my Giant Loop luggage for that too!

Report/s to follow!

All the best, Jenny xx