One Bob's BikeWeek2014: Cinci to Daytona (IronButt) - then Key West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DYNOBOB, Mar 7, 2014.

1. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:

Running solo this trip (couldn't interest Dad in an IronButt). Nothing too earthshaking but will be my first attempt at a real-time RR. Will share some shots of BW and warm beaches for those of us that have survived a seemingly endless winter....:deal

The Plan:
    - Leaving this am to do an IronButt1000 to Daytona
    - Recoup a couple days
    - Ride south to Everglades NP and camp at Flamingo (on the beach)
    - Continue to Key West camping a couple days at Long Key or Bahia Honda
    - Return to Daytona for a few days and thence to Cinci

Here's today's route.

[​IMG]

Hitting the road here shortly and plan to arrive as the sun comes up over the ocean near Flagler Beach... (will stop somewhere and take a couple hour nap (or two) whenever I get tired)

Also.... I welcome your thoughts on visiting the Keys (never been there), I have gotten some good advise down on the regional forum http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952985

Anyway.... I'm ready to roll.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the departure throng.... :D

[​IMG]

2. danh600

danh600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice trip.

We just had a cold front (cool front?) come through down here. Always nice weather after those. Daytona should be really nice when you get there.

I can't get any weekdays off this time of year, but I am doing some weekend trips. I live about 1/2 way between Daytona and the Keys. Going to Long Key State park tomorrow for a night of camping. Next weekend my wife and I are running up to Daytona for a night.

I will look out for your rig.
  3. cobrat

cobrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh man I wish I was coming along for this...

Key West -- my favorite hot sauce bar in the whole wide world is Peppers of Key West.
  4. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Looking good Bob🏁

Fred
  6. backroadbob.com

backroadbob.com Roads Scholar

Oddometer:
    Nice ride. Good on you. Things to do - Camp on the beach at Bahia Honda on your Honda (weigh down your tent so it doesn't blow away). Islamorada - stop at Worldwide Sportsmans and have a cigar and a whiskey at the Zane Grey Lounge, go next door to the Islamorada Fish Co. for lunch, check the fishing fleet at Bud and Mary's. Key West - do at least one sunset on the beach, have a drink at Sloppy Joes, enjoy the show on Duval St., go down a side street and eat at a small local cafe, go to Mel Fishers Treasure Museum, enjoy the bikinis, and post lots of photos. Have a great trip!
  7. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:
    Had a smooth run down. Left home at 11:30am, arrived Daytona at 8:30am. Felt fine so I just kept rollin the whole way - not sure how I managed to accumulate 5hrs of stopped time?

Some randoms after 21hrs on the bike...

- Two things I brought at the last minute made a big difference to how enjoyable the ride was. 1. I grabbed Dad's Airhawk seat cushion. At the 500mi mark I switched from the sheepskin to the airhawk and it was like hitting the reset button for my ass. 2. I wasn't sure if my heated jacket was fully working when I left so I grabbed Dad's also. Mine was working but temps from midnight to 5am were in the upper 30s so I put both jackets on and stayed toasty.

- It occurred to me more than once how much I like the goldwing. They're not pretty or cool but: I'm riding a motorcycle w/ the cruise on 75mph in 37degrees with 350watts of headlights and 1300watts of charging system pulling a 300lb trailer with a 40lb cooler and some tasty tunes on the mp3 - in comfort. We live in an amazing age....

- There are no Waffle House signs without at least one letter burned out

- BikeWeek should really be called TrailerWeek (guilty myself)

Walked out on the beach this am and got a few shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading over to the Speedway now to shop for some gloves.... Leaving in the am for the Keys!

8. farmboy555

farmboy555 n00b

Oddometer:
    Had a good breakfast 2 weeks ago at Robbie's Marina on Islamorada on my way to Key West. Feed the Tarpon and take a break
  9. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Solo trips are good for the mind.. :clap

Could run into some local spring breakers in the keys this time of the year..

I ride distance on my FJR with an Airhawk also. No way I could do 1000 mile days rides without that piece of equipment especially with a Corbin saddle.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip Bob.
  10. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    20 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
    look forward to more of this ride report…

a few years ago spent a few days (work related) in Lebanon Ohio, went away with the impression thats it would be a nice place to live…had a good vibe to it
  11. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike.

I'll be owning a airhawk soon.... :deal

12. sandtrap

sandtrap Shaken not stirred

Oddometer:
    You did make record time.
  13. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    You left at a good time Bob.
    Temp dropped and supposed to get some snow back home.

Hopefully it will be gone for your return.

Fred
  14. NHADV

NHADV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When visiting Key West I recommend Ft. Zachery Taylor for a beach. Then for food the Hog Fish bar and Grille. If you don't mind parking and walking to eat another great place is Santiago's get the short ribs! I just got back from Key West I am jealous cant wait to go back next year. If you run into trouble shoot me a PM I have family down there. Remember to stop along the way take deep breathes and enjoy the warm sun because as I learned its back to reality fast. Enjoy!
  15. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:
    Sorry folks.... just got back to Daytona from the Keys. Going to get caught up now that I have internet.

16. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

OK... So Saturday I took it easy.

Sunday I went to the Speedway to check out the vendors and stopped at The Helmet Shop's new location.

KLR 650 "New Edition"

[​IMG]

For some reason I want one of these...

[​IMG]

Then had dinner with my two favorite Floridians at my sixth favorite Aunt's...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

Got up Monday and headed south for the Everglades. Messed around and didn't leave Daytona until noon which cost me later. Thinking it would take about 6 hours to make the 330mi trip to Flamingo Campground, I failed to account for atrocious Miami traffic :deal. It took 9.5 hrs to get to the campground and I arrived well after dark. I had the 45 mile road into the park to myself in the dark which was pretty cool. Knowing I wanted to camp in the "walk out" area because of it's proximity to the ocean, I scouted out a site by flashlight and went back to the bike and got my duffel of camping gear. I know my setup pretty well and was glad to hit the sack about 10pm.

Side note: When I got off the FL Turnpike to head for the Everglades I found my cooler mount had broken and my cooler had been "seconds from disaster" :eekers. I re-rigged my strap and secured it temporarily....tomorrow I will need to find a welder.

Anyway, this is the view I woke up to Tues morning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

Had my two bowels of cereal and got packed up pretty quick so I could take my time in the park and on the way to Long Key. The stop in Everglades NP is well worth your time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I failed to get pics of the "Snake Bight" hiking trail and "panther crossing" signs...

Took a wrong turn in the park that dead ended into a historic military site. Didn't take the time to take the tour ride out to the site but it looks interesting.

[​IMG]

19. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

Definitely take your time to walk the Anhinga Trail at Royal Palm near the park entrance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fish beware!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

Just after you leave the park you pass this local landmark... more fresh produce than I've ever seen in one place.

[​IMG]

In Key Largo I spot a repair shop that does welding.... the cooler lives to fight again another day :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and of course I can't pass up the chance to eat lunch at the southernmost Waffle House

[​IMG]

My planned destination is Long Key State Park. They are known for their campsites being located right along the water and are in high demand (make your reservation 6+ months in advance if you can or you may not get one). I got lucky and they had one primitive site left (got it 5min before another bike camper pulled in). A bargain too at $8/night! I'll take it for two nights thank you....

The ocean is 20ft behind my tent thru the mangroves (?). There are six primitive sites with an outdoor fresh-water shower and a nice modern bathroom out by the parking lot. It's about 100yds on the boardwalk out to the sites, luckily I have a rolling duffel for my stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]