BMW at the DAKAR

Discussion in 'Racing' started by LUDO, Jul 5, 2010.

1. italrally

italrally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    from google translation from the bike mag: " moto verte"

News Fretigne

Convalescence Express David Fretigne who still hopes to participate in the Dakar 2011. Decision on December 23. © JM Pouget

Seriously injured in the Morocco Rally, David Fretigne is since October convalescing. He gave us some news on his health and his chances to participate in the Dakar 2011.
    Mainly affected the vertebrae and ribs, neo-BMW driver had to support three full weeks of immobility. But since mid-November, he started his rehabilitation at the center of Perpignan Présports with the help of his coach Christian Millet. Despite the seriousness of his wounds, calcification of his ribs was fast, which allowed him to regain some mobility. Under the eye of Dr. Christian Fournols, it has started swimming, bike room and forced himself on several sets of pumps each day in addition to long sessions of physiotherapy. "These days I found my strength almost before the crash. I'm as much of pumps!" We said No. 3 of the Dakar 2010.

Decision on December 23
    Yet if his ribs do suffer more, the affected vertebrae are currently weak, especially at the apophyses not yet fully rewelded. The decision whether to participate in the Dakar 2011 has been postponed to 23 December. "From my side, I am confident. I'm all for it, " concluded David recovered more than ever.
    JMP
  2. Pilbara

Pilbara In the flow...

Oddometer:
    I asked this question else where and this thread appears to have given me the answer. I asked if the speedbrain bikes used a cush drive...the photos in this thread seem to indicate they did not. It has been my understanding that cush drive was always a given for rally bikes, or is this only on the larger capacities?

How many of the 450s of other makes ran cush drives...any?

I also heard somewhere that Verhoven's 450 had a 6 speed box, he was clocked with the highest speed on the last stage. Any insights here would be useful.

Cheers
    Pilbara
  3. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    They added a 6th gear, running a 47 rear sprocket on that stage.

Dont know about the cush drive on the BMW, Aprilia dont use it if memory serves me well. Cush drive is more comfy, thats about it i'd say. Might introduce an extra chance of failure with those rubber blocks..
  4. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Kelvin :wave

I can't say for sure whether they use a cush-drive, best to check out their picture gallery here: http://www.speedbrain-rally.com/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=categories&Itemid=3

Verhoeven did, however, tell me they went the extra mile and redesigned the gearbox to fit a 6th gear which would allow a top speed of something like 185km/h :eek1

If you don't already know they also fitted a new left hand side cover from the new Husky that increases the oil capacity a bit and allows for an oil filter to be fitted:
    [​IMG]
  5. buspilot

buspilot Dr. Dirt

Oddometer:
    Correct Tony, and for the last stage Frans asked his mechanic Boy to use a 47 teeth rear-sprocket :D
  6. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
    What's the future for the 450X? It didn't do very well here in the US. I see it is still on the BMW web site. WIll there be a 2011 model?

I have never got a chance to ride one. I did a trail ride with a guy on one, it looked like it worked just fine to me.
  7. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    Will it become a Husky product ?:ear
  8. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya it's called a TE449, apparently the 450X is dead according my BMW dealer.
  9. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    It looks like it might not be 50 state street legal .
  10. Ms. Nashville

Ms. Nashville Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    your dealer is right. bmw isn't a very popular brand with the young kids - to whom the 450 was dedicated. so bmw will stay with the "old, settled" bikes, and husky will will be the brand of the "young, crazy" offroad-bikes.
    sadly, the image of a company can be the out for some excelent products...:cry

Martina
  11. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's official... the Aprilia factory bikes did have a cush drive...

[​IMG]
  12. xr400r

xr400r Long timer

Oddometer:
    wow!!! and bmw had to develop a whole new bike to figure that out????? hmmm
  13. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old and settled like the S1000RR?
  15. stteve

stteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Wild Man

Wild Man Escape Artist

Oddometer:
    :deal Call it a Husky, paint it like a husky, but that's a G450RR frame & swingarm through and through. They probably didn't have time to mod the Speedbrain stuff for the new Husky model and this was a quick fix. The engine is the same so who cares.

All I want to know is where I can get the extended swingarm for my G450RR project. Speedbrain hasn't offered those up yet. :evil
  17. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any welding shop, proper welding shop...
  18. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1:nod
  19. Muecke

Muecke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what kind of ground plate for the Touratech roadbook and the IMO is used here?