Copper Canyon- suggested maps and roads

Discussion in 'Americas' started by tedder, Jan 26, 2013.

1. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    I've been to Mexico (and all the central american countries) but have missed out on Copper Canyon. Assuming this security map of mexico is up to date, zipping down to CC next week will be fine.

So, the question that remains- what roads/areas are passable by a solo rider with significant dirt experience but who won't be on knobbies? I mean, I'm fine abusing a 'Strom and I'm have taken it on singletrack, not mention over Baja 1000-scarred roads and up on the Alaska gravel.

So the cliche moment is to get to Creel. Then what? Does anyone have recommended GPS tracks, GPS maps that cover there in detail, or know of paper maps that cover the area in detail, or can list cities worth seeing in the canyons?
  2. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    I went to Copper Cayon last year and used the Garmin City Navagator 2011 map and now I have the 2013 edition and they are both excellent maps to use. I used a 60CSX but have just recently upgraded to a Montana. It has a much larger screen and more fetures, but either one will work for your needs.

PM or email me if you need more details.........................:eek1
  3. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    I have a 60. I didn't know if the more recent maps would help in Mexico. (I've been using the 60 since they came out in 2004)

I'm looking for specific routes/roads that are recommended. Do you have a marked-up file or anything like that? What did you use for the travel planning?
  4. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out my ride report from last April...Cirque de Copper Canyon...and send me a PM with your email address if you want my map or have any questions.

Johnnydarock
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That map promises nothing, either bad, or good.

Your travel savvy, in Mexico and elsewhere, is your best risk management tool
  6. Standup Rider

Standup Rider Deacon

Oddometer:
    Why is part of the security map in Yellow?
  7. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Legend is at the bottom- "defer non-essential travel".

Nope, it's all about probabilities. Tell me Honduras is as safe as South Dakota.

Put it on my to-read list. I'll probably PM you soon :evil
  8. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll say it again, that map means nothing
  9. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I have many maps for the CC area - even the Mex gov topos.
    They are all correct, and they are all wrong.
    Maybe all of the cartographers enjoy a few cervezas while penning...:D

If it was all clear and exact, the challenge and adventure (as you chose to bite off) would be much less.
  10. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    I heard the switchback section was getting paved...which sorta eliminates much need for a map IMHO.
  11. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    :rofl

True. But it's nice to minimize some of the risks.
  12. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a map that will load into your 60. It is made from tracks that I have recorded in the sierras.

If you go to www.ccoons.com and click on "Mexico Info Links" you can download it. It is an .exe and should self install in Mapsource so you can load it to the GPS.

You might also be interested in the mileage chart below the map. The .pdf map above the gps map might be useful, but I see the link for that is broken. If you pm me an email I can send that to you. I'll try to look at the link tomorrow to see if I can fix it.

I spoke to Tury (lives in Chihuahua) recently and apparently the main road to Batopilas is not passable due to construction. The alternates are possibly passable on a strom, but you will work really hard for some of it and if you get in a fix it might be a long time before somebody finds you.

It might be different when you get there.:deal
  13. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Thanks- I fetched that already. Saw the PDF was broken but pulled the others. I'll pm my email.

Road to Batopilas = from Creel? While I can ride a Strom like it's a DRZ, I have to be more careful because I'm solo and will be out of country.
  14. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually the road from Samachique to Batopilas. Samachique is where you turn off the highway south of Creel.

You can go west from Samachique (on the GPS map) and then south to Batopilas (I have a track for that and it will be on the next iteration of the map). Parts of this route would IMO be pretty challenging on a big bike, but then I'm an experienced user of the medicare system so may be a little conservative. I use a DR350.:D

You can also get there by going farther south on the highway and turning in near Aboreachi or even further and turning near Guachochi, but the locals tend to avoid that if they can because of the nature of some people who live in that area.:cry
  15. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TEDDER

As Charlie says I live here at Chihuahua city, been riding the area since 1972 ( all the sierra mountains, that includes the BARRANCA DEL COBRE ), Also, for the past 7 years with Charlie and his MINNESOTAN´S amigos, so when you get to Chihuahua state and if you pass through the city give me a call to my Cel. 614 1 42 0640 and i´ll give you an update about the roads :deal. Riding a V Strom with tar tyres can give some work !, can be done, so have a good adventure:clap
  16. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    The map may be BS but I'd avoid Culiacan.
  17. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hola Enduro-Ince;:clap;been quite a time that I had no news from you ! Charlies fellows will be at Barranca del Cobre next March, I´ll catch up with them, have some good riding and :freaky
  18. BoulderGuy

BoulderGuy out ridin'....

Oddometer:
    I've got a prety good set of maps (hand drawn, of course!) for CC. Let me know if you want a copy. PM sent as well....
  19. dajuice

dajuice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, and here it is said revision:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864804
  20. vermin

vermin unrepentant thinner

Oddometer:
    i went there with a honda pacific coast with a truck battery in the trunk and no gps. just go to creel and I think you turn left half a mile out of town and follow the signs.

ok I will be more specific go south to chihuahua city then turn right then go past cacktwohammack and turn left till you get jest past creel and then tern left again for probably 25 miles and then turn right for probably 3o.