Rupture of rotator cuff surgery. Is there a dual sport life after it ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gros Buck, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    dont know about rotator cuff but I had a 3rd degree SLAP tear in the shoulder that bothered me for 1.5 years after initial injury, was finally able to convince the doc there was a problem and he said he'd do exploratory only to find I was 1 degree from full separation. Repaired it with anchors and rehab, I'm now riding better then I ever was, if only my knee will heal up as well (blown ACL, MCL, PCL and miniscus back in May '12)
  2. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    that is exactly what my rehab pain management psychologist said,

i could fall over walking and do the same sorta damage as riding a bike.

mind you, i had a steel fence post go through my left shoulder, 3 years on light duties at work, 2 of those off bikes, collar bone and first rib broken, rotator cuff smashed, , tendons severed, smashed arteries, caused blood clotts, smashed nerves, which surgury was required to kill them to stop pain signals, i now do physio daily at home, still..
  3. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    Ok That dude won't take anthing but the full package !!! :rofl:lol3

Bobzilla. You've been out of the radar for a while ... Seriously, you got rid of the 690 ???

I've been married for so long pain is not an issue anymore. Thanks ...

I take note: Re-Hab. That will be good for the rest of the body anyway ... Thanks everyone for those constructive comments full of hope ...

Paul Jr
  4. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    look here

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856865

long story but i got old somehow:rofl and want to do some other types of riding...... still got the berg when I need to scare myself:D
  5. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    Ok

Another form of rupture ... :cry

Paul Jr
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I was sure my shoulder was wrecked,high speed water ski incidents,10 years of flattrack racing,soccer from junior high to college,trail riding since I was a small person and still do,about 8 years of re-modeling houses and I was sure it was done,hurt all the time,barely could move the one arm sometimes.

Had a girlfriend who was a deep tissue body worker,Rolphing is the technique. Very strong and very determined work by her has now made it so I cant remember which shoulder was bad,both work pretty good all things considered.
    It was real painful to get that shoulder to move all the way around again,but worth it.

Rolphing breaks up old scar tissue and adhesions from injuries,I still go in for tune ups every now and then,ankles,feet,the whole body likes getting the heavy duty work.

Cant be a pussy and get Rolphing done though. Im enjoying my singletrack riding more then ever at age 55.
    Still out on the Mt bike regularly.
  7. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another shoulder story here. :evil

I had my right shoulder re-bulit and my left shoulder with a nip and tuck. It takes about 18 months on average for a "full" recovery. Full recovery is a euphemism for as good as it's going to be. :deal

When it was said tears heal on their own: no they don't. Surgery is the only way to repair rotator cuff tears; same as an ACL/MCL/PCL etc.

Also, swimming as a rehab is another no no. The over head motion of your arms when swimming is out. The pain and risk of more and continuing damage to the joint are not worth it. Any overhead type of work or motions will forever more be painful to a degree and risky. However, the good thing is riding does not involve overhead arm motions (not counting crashes :D) and the type of muscle work involve with riding is okay and should be a good-to-go once healed up properly.
  8. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    I figure that one already but I guess not all swimming methods are bad ... I would not start will crawl let say ... The physio I deal with have a full sheet of exercises to be performed in water later. Crawl is not in there ...

Paul Jr
  9. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell ya. What causes it in a lot of cases is bone spurs develope in the shoulder area and intiate muscle tears. Rehab is the key after surgery. Take it slow and transfer to a free weight routine when you are able. Good Luck!
  10. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    nah, forget about it, 'yer done for!... you need to just get rid of that KTM and give it to me.....:evil..... hehehehehe......
  11. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is fucking hilarious!

I go for rotator cuff suregry in a couple weeks. It's gotta be better after than it is now. I have been living in severe pain since June 3rd! Rode twice all last summer.
    :cry
  12. heliyardsale

heliyardsale Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer:
    I've had four rotator cuff repairs, one on the left and thee on the right here is the latest fixed Nov 20th this past year
    [​IMG]

Six weeks in a sling, six weeks passive stretching, six weeks pt. long recovery.
  13. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    I would have considered that request but unfortunately, you failed at showing a minimal level of politeness ... Next time, do not forget to end your sentence with the word "PLEASE". :rofl

Four times ? :huh You seem to recover faster then an Alien too ... :deal

Yeah. It hurts like a delivery through the nose ...:lol3

Paul Jr
  14. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:

i said ill take pain with the lot, then i got a divorce ontop of that..
  15. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Dislocated my left shoulder at work in 1993 and tore the labrum. Rehabbed the rotator cuff due to employer not wanting to have surgery done. Dislocated the shoulder again later, employer still wouldn't do surgery. Ended up having it done 2008 on my benefits and vacation time. 5 anchors put in.

Tore my labrum and bicep in my right shoulder November 2011 during a dual sport event. Had surgery last February. Three anchors put in as well as shaving of bone spurs.

Broke my left fibula riding gravel road in W. VA last April while still rehabbing the right shoulder. Crutches prolonged the rehab.

Recovery time after SLAP repair can take a year. It's very painful after surgery and motion is virtually non-existant. Follow the Doctor's orders and do the physical therapy. You should be able to ride with little to know problems. Expect some pain while riding though. Just strengthen the rotator cuff as much as possible without re-injuring it.

I'm still riding though. Rehab is your friend.
  16. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:

With that track record, who would take this advice? Absolutely no personal offense intended whatsoever by my comment! :D
  17. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    None taken. :evil

Hopefully I can make it through this year without tearing/dislocating/breaking anything.
    The concussion from that dual sport ride in November 2011 was not fun.
    Riding out of the woods with a torn shoulder, headache, and no rear brakes was interesting to say the least. LOL
  18. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    We give you a chance to re-phrase this ... The word "interesting" sounds too weird to me ... :huh :eek1

After I kissed the ground with the bike over me, I had to replace the rotator back into his socket ... I bang the shoulder on the tarmac many times, but my right elbow was still 2 to 3 inches bellow the left one. I asked my friend to raise my arm, and doing so, pushed the rotator back into his hemi-spheral socket. I heard and felt too well the "knocking" sound. Ouch !!! At that point, because of the pain, my eyes were almost blind. All I could see was like black sheet with a small hole. Like if each of my eyes were looking into a 3/8 " tube.

My friend found a way to put me back on the bike. Fore-arm and hand were working, but from the shoulder to the elbow, everything was dead. It behaved like a piece of Ham hanging under 12 inches of cord. 20 minutes of bike, and 5 hours of pickup later, I was at the hospital.

Paul Jr
  19. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Ok. It was an "experience" to say the least. :rofl

Sounds like you had some nerve damage/pinching during your ride back.
    I'm surprised you were able to make the ride back without going down.
    Kudos to you.
  20. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience suggests you have plenty of dual sporting left if you want.

In 1981 I collided with another rider mid-air off a jump during a Friday night stadium race. I shattered the ball of my left shoulder when I landed. Most painful thing that ever happened to me. I was 31 and it was a year getting back to normal. I stopped racing after that and concentrated on my career.

I started riding again in my mid 50's and so far no problem. I enjoy dual sporting at my own pace. I don't have full motion of my left arm, though, and I get bursitis in it easily. A few days in the gym with a lot of stretching cures it pretty quickly.

I've fallen off a few times, but never on that shoulder so far. Doesn't seem to be an issue.