Going for Broke: TAT 2011

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by simonpig, Jun 16, 2011.

1. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Yes, I hope all things align. Right now, it's really the trip planning thread.
  2. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    I need a tankbag. Wondering if anyone can weigh-in. GL Diablo or Wolfman Enduro? Would be great to hear from someone who has used both.

I travel light, so don't plan on putting much in there, cellphone, contour battery chargers, electronics. Maybe some snacks.

Which is smaller? I can't really tell from the pictures.
  3. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Great Tank bag...Fandango...by http://www.giantloopmoto.com/. No need to remove tankbag for refueling; just half zip bottom of bag to tilt over for gasing up. Strap stays on bike.

Great stuff...great saddle bag...great guys...

[​IMG][​IMG]
  4. Callahan

Callahan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tank Bag

Go with the Wolfman Enduro or even a bigger model of Wolfman. I have the Enduro and love it, but also use other Wolfman bags to accommodate just a little bit extra gear.
  5. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the tracks for NV and OR they could send me? Trying to plot tracks on those 2 states are challenging. I've sorta eyeballed the highlighted lines on the maps and done my best, but am not completely confident its correct.
  6. ini88

ini88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanh, how long does it roughly take to complete at your pace you are want to set?
  7. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    I'm honestly not sure but am guessing 175-–250 miles a day. 3 weeks to Oregon total I think. Operating start date August 15th.
  8. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Decided on the luggage. Wolfman expedition tank bag, enduro e10 saddlebags and enduro duffle. My target maximum weight for this trip is no heavier than 30 lbs of luggage.

[​IMG]
  9. LXIV-Dragon

LXIV-Dragon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We start the TAT this week (Friday).

My buddy is at 30lbs.....I am at 49lbs!! I will try to get that down but there is no way I will get to 30lbs so well done to you!
  10. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Lightening up is an expensive proposition unfortunately, but I believe its worth it. Have a great trip.

11. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Official simonpig approved Tat suit. Klim traverse. Daniel, Thanks for letting me try yours out. I decided to get a small jacket instead just so the armor doesn't slide all over the place.

[​IMG]
  12. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Hey Than, glad to see you are going to ride the TAT. I am going to ride the CDR leaving 8/20. I also have a WR250R now. I plan to ride it on that ride. Do you know where you are starting yet? Who knows, we might meet up somewhere in the middle of the country. Actually it would have to be in Salida, I guess. Since that is where the two trails cross.
  13. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    That is fantastic—CDR is on my todo list. Are you riding with Vance and Rudy? I'll probably be in MS around that time. Planning on leaving 8/15. I don't think I'll be in CO until end of August. Who knows If I book it, maybe we'll cross paths—lets play it by ear. Congrats on WRR ownership, that bike is a gem.

14. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    No I am riding with Dickosaurus and Rufus. The same guys I did the TAT with. You met Rufus, he is the guy that went over to Vance's house with us. Looks like I won't be here when you come through but you should stop and see Vance. aka Vinnie The Snake.
  15. ini88

ini88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are welcome! looks good. You will love it for the TAT. works in all conditions.
  16. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Yes, I met Rufus when we were over at the Vinne the Snakes garage. Send him my best. Maybe on my way back, I'll stop by and say hi. You guys should be done with the CDR ride by then.

17. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    That would be great if you stopped by on your way back. You are always welcome.
  18. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Time to sample a meal preparation on the trip. Mountain house beef stew. I'm gonna bring a dozen of this freeze dried camp food on the trail to alleviate the stress on those days where I'm pushing a little later. It's not bad. A little bland.

[​IMG]
  19. LXIV-Dragon

Oddometer:
    On the TAT now (RR - TAT ; No Reservations).

Have the same Klim stuff, perfect. I also have mesh pants, Olympia in addition.

Tires are an issue, make sure you order the next set in advance. Note the Valcome guy in Trinidad is no longer in business.

Best of Luck!
  20. LXIV-Dragon

Oddometer:
    ...oh and add extra water to that Mountain Food stuff - it is okay....