Engine Oil Preferences

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by kitjv, Feb 22, 2006.

1. kitjv

kitjv "Old Guys Rule"!

Oddometer:
    A quick search through the forum archives didn't reveal a lot of info on riders' engine oil preferences. I know that KTM recommends Motorex Synthetic ( could they possibly have a proprietary interest in the brand?) & my dealer also recommends the same. But the $12/liter price tag is a bit staggering. Since I have used Mobil 1 in my BMW oilhead, Ducati, & Honda for years with no obvious adverse effects, I am inclined to continue the practice in the 950. And, admittedly, I subscribe to the dictum that it is more important to change your engine oil/filter regularly than the brand of synthetic oil. I do understand, however, the argument in favor of motorcycle-specific oils with specific additives. What are the thoughts of those of you who have had a long relationship with your 950?

As usual, thanks for your patient indulgence.

Kit
  2. RAGrote

RAGrote Fishin w PICO

Oddometer:
    Valvoline dino - @ the proper viscosity.

Now I've gotten 5 - 5qt containers of Mobil 1 from my neighbor who sold his Powersmoke diesel and had it laying around so I'll use that up but usually.....valvoline.
  3. DPRider

DPRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the Kawasaki Synth--no real reason, I used to get a good deal on it and I just keep using it. I have thought about trying Motul or Amsoil too.

In other bike I have used the Mobil 1 red cap and it never let me down.
  4. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
  5. kitjv

kitjv "Old Guys Rule"!

Oddometer:
    Mort... Thanks for the thead. It confirmed my assumption that there are as many differnent opinions on engine oil as there are engine oils.
  6. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I have clutch drag problems, was using Shell Advance semisynthetic 10-40 and now use the same fully synthetic, with no signifficant difference in clutch dragging! How about you??
  7. snarf

snarf WFO and clueless

Oddometer:
    Just to add some fuel to the fire here.. hehe.. but I've ran Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w30 in my bikes and cars for years, its great stuff.

On a whim, I tried some of the Shell Rotella T dino oil in my 950SM at the last oilchange, b/c i had heard lots of great things about it [great oil, super cheap], and figured, why not.

The darn bikes shifts and runs easily 2-3x better than it did with the Mobil synthetic in it.

Apparently, the gearbox likes the heavy, thick dino oil better than the super slippery synthetic :)

Hope this helps!
    1reddawg likes this.
  8. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    Rotella is cheap and bikes love it. Given how frequent oil chages are it's good stuff.

Personally I use Castrol Actevo 4T Full Synthetic in the engine and Honda GN4 80w85 in the trans - of my CRF. KTM.... not sure yet since I have yet to do the first oil change for breaking in.
  9. RedRupert

RedRupert Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer:
    Riga, Latvia / Bergerac, France / Colchester, UK
    I only use the Motorex that KTM recommend. I see no reason to take any sort of risk to save a few quid (or US dollars, even if they are virtually worthless these days :lol3 :eek1 ).

Also, I may be happy in the future, when I have engine / transmission problems, because I can rule out oil as a cause. :rofl
  10. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

I have run dino 15w50w since day one on my 04. Love it. Tried synthetic once 10w40w Hated it! Glup on my front carb, and damaged air filter. This despite having an oil separator on my breather. It was a high speed cold trip which may have contributed. I still get cold clutch chatter when starting off.

$65AU for 20 Lt drum, and stainless filter. I use the same in a 2Lt turbo car @ 5,000 Km each.
  11. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea of little faith:lol3
  12. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bike runs Motrex although my KTM 450exc runs fine on Putoline DX4(cheapest Putoline oil).....when the warranty runs out i shall run the 950adv on Putoline DX4 i think.
    I aint penny pinching,it just seems a good enough oil in my opinion.
  13. union jack

union jack Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After using the stuff that the dealers were using/had on their shelves anything from Rock to Putoline (always 10w/50 fully synth) I tried Moterex that is recommended. What a load of shit. It was noisier and it drank it. Tried a Silkolene which was good but expensive, but have settled on Castrol R4 racing 10w/50. Smoother, quieter and burns less and £20 cheaper per can, result
  14. Cayuse60

Cayuse60 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    I'm one up on ya CM, how's K-Mart Recycled Oil sound ? :lol3

ELF 10W-60 Syn.
  16. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    CASTROL R4 SUPERBIKE (i use to use shell quadroTX full synth when it was sponserd to me)
    Full synthetic engine oil engineered for use in competition four-stroke motorcycle engines, including all high performance multi-cylinder, multi-valve, V-Twin, air or water-cooled sports or race replica models. Provides premium protection for highly stressed engines. JASO MA, SAE 5W-40, API SG.

KTM recommends Motorex only becouse they sponser there race teams :deal

bottom line is keep to a good brand & grade to suit. brand its down to buyers brand of taste.
    hay if your realy in the shit any oil is better than none to get you out of it at the time.
  17. CaliforniaRob

CaliforniaRob Mmmm!!! Aadveentuure aghh

Oddometer:
    Golden Spectro 20/50 Semi Synthetic Blend
    12,000 Miles - 0 Problems
  18. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    My transmission is noticeably smoother with JASO MA oil than not.
  19. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I go with whatever quality brand 10w50 fully synt I pick up at service time. I usually go with Silkolene, but I've used Motorex and Castrol in the past with no discernable difference in the way the bike runs, or oil consumption.
    I wouldn't go with any cheap brand or non-bike specific oil - I can't see the point of penny pinching in this area when you look at how much a bottle of oil costs compared to the cost of the bike and other consumables such as tyres, fuel, etc.
  20. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    I have been using the ams oil in all of my bikes now for several years.

there is a noticable difference in the shifting quality of all the bikes when ever i use somthing else and switch back to the Ams oil.

Most of the time the other stuff was either Motul or the KTM dealer stuff.

And I change my oil every 5K on the road, more freq when in the dirt.
    1reddawg likes this.