Ile d'Anticosti -- anyone ridden there?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by markbvt, Aug 12, 2010.

1. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I keep doing these trips to Labrador, Newfoundland, Gaspésie, and the rest of the Canadian Maritimes, and each time I'm planning these trips I see this big old island smack in the middle of the Gulf of St Lawrence, and I keep thinking, "I wonder if you can ride there."

There is a road across the island, and several smaller ones branching off. Seems it's a popular hunting destination. Also popular with hikers in the summer.

Anyone ever ridden there? I'm thinking it might make a nice vacation at some point when I feel like combining a little riding with a lot of rose-smelling and camping and photography and contemplation.

--mark
  2. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    I don't think as of today you can bring your car or motorcycle and roam around the Island as it is half a natural preserve and the rest for visiting tourists flora and fauna trips.

BUT you can visit Illes de la Madeleine, off PEI.. via ferry and ride around...camp...etc...very windy and Very French!
  3. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    After doing a little more research, I've found that there are vehicle rentals on the island for getting from Port-Menier to the other parts of the island. And the Relais Nordik ferry stops there. I also found a ride report by someone who rode there, but no photos and very few details were included.

So apparently it is possible, just not very convenient.

I'd still love to hear from anyone who's been there.

--mark
  4. Serge LeMay

Serge LeMay Dirtmedic

Oddometer:
    Bury, Quebec, Center of the middle of nowhere
    I have not been there, but my in-laws (wife's sister) have.

rode there /w their 4X4 and tent, got LOTS of flats (slashed tires) from the sharp edges of the weird ''gravel''.

But otherwise, spectacular scenery lots of fauna and flora to photograph.

not a lot of road, but plenty of atv trails...

I'd say go!!
  5. bumper1871

bumper1871 Been here awhile

Oddometer: