Tahoe Trippinz

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Hunter-Douglas, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Hunter-Douglas

Hunter-Douglas rube

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride behind the resort after work today to explore some new territory. The Fiberboard freeway runs from Brockway Summit to Tahoe City and serves as an access point for all sorts of fire roads and single track. My goal was to make it up to Mt. Watson, where views of the lake were to be had.

The start of the freeway.
    [​IMG]

Many miles of windy single lane asphalt make for great riding getting to the dirt. Just mind the traffic around the blind corners. They come up real quick. :eek1

Then the fun, the real fun, begins.
    [​IMG]

This road (#49) takes a long cut away from the freeway. I managed to get lost and end up down in Carnelian Bay before sorting my sense of direction out. Whoops.

Me-no-likey-ABS-on-dirt
    [​IMG]

A few miles of relatively technical road leads to Watson "Lake". I've seen ponds this size... Nice though!
    [​IMG]

The unmarked Mt. Watson turn off.
    [​IMG]

The light couldn't have been much better (at least if you're not riding into the sunset).
    [​IMG]

And last but not least... the view!! Lucky for me I live on the NW side of the lake. Smoke from the Rim Fire is really no joke over there.
    [​IMG]
  2. Starbuck21

Starbuck21 Manly scooterist!

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride! I would think the ABS would help in the dirt portions?:huh Thanks for the great pictures!
  3. ewilly

ewilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering what Watson Lake was about! Now I know. Thanks for the pic.

I rode my F8GS up to Tahoe from AZ two weeks ago with my Mt bike and mt biked up to and along the rim trail just below Watson Lake. I will be posting RR this weekend.

Nice Dakar! I am envious if you live and work in the area.
  4. Hunter-Douglas

Hunter-Douglas rube

Oddometer:
    I've had the 'Tao since March and love it more and more everyday! And yes, from what I've experienced cranking the ABS off and having the ability to cleanly lock the rear wheel when descending dirt helps reduce the excitement a bit. :eek1

Tahoe seems to have endless riding options. Right across the highway from the fiberboard are numerous paved and dirt roads heading up Martis Peak. Once you make your way up to the summit area there's an old lookout tower that offers a nice panorama.
    [​IMG]