One guy, one Yamaha and endless fun.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by charles624, Feb 4, 2013.

1. charles624

charles624 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Riding.

It’s an exhilarating feeling that never dies. It is the sum of pure freedom, endless adrenaline and unique experiences. Everyone needs their escapism and definitely I have mine. In an attempt to escape a mundane routine it has led me to a passion that inhabits me to my very being. My mind craves more, it tempts me to go out to new places. It makes me think of only the present. My past becomes oblivious and my future is instantaneous. It is no more a question of where I have to be or what I should of done. It's all about living in the present moment.

With spring around the corner I have decided to start myself a thread where I will update my adventures this year. With ideas of where to go I will do my best to post through my daily adventures and my possible week long journeys this season.

I hope some of you will hop on with me and live through new moments, new experiences and like most motorcycling stories, new friendships.

Below I present to you my motorcycle with which I will try to entertain you.

[​IMG]
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your reports... this sort of blog report belongs in the Day Trippin' forum where it's been moved. Welcome to ADV :thumb
  3. blacktruck

blacktruck Shiftless

Oddometer:
    Not quite Arkansas but I can see it from here.
    Top of the day Charles.
    I'm looking forward to your posts on this continuing journey ahead. Not able to ride for awhile so this helps to be able to see what the rest of the inmates are up to. Get some pics and post your thoughts on here so we know what's going on. Bad ass looking bike too. I like it.
    Ride safe man..
  4. Circle Blue

Circle Blue Here and There

Oddometer:
    I'm in.
  5. RoadGrime

RoadGrime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Yammy Charles!
  6. charles624

charles624 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the warm welcome :wave

As the season is coming closer I decided that I was due for a helmet and one of quality. I opted for the SR-1 from Schuberth in glossy white. Here's what it looks like:

[​IMG]

In itself buying this helmet was an adventure of its own. Was I making the right decision after 3 weeks of looking around? After reading reviews and watching videos I had made up my mind.

I wanted something comfortable for long rides with great airflow. Although the SR-1 was over budget, in the end I just decided on going for it. I called most helmet dealers around Canada and none had these in stock or even knew when they would get some.

I ended up buying it from Revzilla which by the way has AMAZING service and very knowledgeable staff on the products they sell.

After the headache of figuring out if my contact in the US had received it with a proof of delivery only indicating "Left at front door" to going down to get it I was amazed by how this helmet feels like it's worth every penny it cost.

It's amazingly light, it's wonderfully vented and it even has channels for my glasses which makes for a perfect fit.

I wish it would of been possible to get this on the bike but the 2 feet of snow was a bummer and I opted for the car. No big surprise there :rofl
  7. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    There's no such thing as overpaying for a comfortable, well fitting helmet if you're a daily or near daily rider, or traveling.

Welcome to ADV!:clap
  8. charles624

charles624 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So plans changed and things did not go as I was hoping for them to. My plans of leaving one week on my motorcycle were replaced by a week long roadtrip down the east coast of the US.

I've been craving to go further but things did not fall into place this summer and the bike is almost due for storage. Snow and sport tires do not mix all to well.

Another problem I faced when riding along is that I would never take out the camera. I stopped at many places but I only think about it once i'm a few kilometers out. I end up just passing on writing about the rides or weekends because I have no images behind it.

At least I have a 9 day long trip through the east coast of Canada to look forward to next summer. Things are actually falling into place for this ride. I have a buddy that wants to come along, a bike i'm comfortable to ride far from home and a desire to discover new things.

If anyone has any places to recommend in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and/or Prince Edward Island I am all ears to take any suggestions.

Here's a picture from riding on a road some hour out from my home which is filled with sugar shacks. The one behind me is clearly out of use but there is a good dozen along the way. It's a nice quiet road.

[​IMG]
  9. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds nearly 100% in the present. Too involved in the moment to record for a future report of the past.:D Guess you'll have to get a bike or helmet mount.
  10. 4thic

4thic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Charles I live in PEI and I am from Nova Scotia. There is not a road in this part of the world that I have not ridden multiple times. When you decide to come in this direction let me know and I can give you the keys to some of the best rides you will get on the East Coast.
  11. charles624

charles624 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will take you up on that offer as the only decent road I know about in the region is the Cabot Trail. Which other would you recommend?
  12. 4thic

4thic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Cabot Trail is a given. You might also consider Advocate Harbour, which is south of Amherst starting at the community of Joggins and proceeding down through Apple River. Great ride with very little traffic and as you ride a sport bike lots of curves and elevation changes. This is a particular favorite of ours because it is a nice 400 to 500 km day from where we are in PEI. The section between Advocate and Parrsboro is often referred to as the mini Cabot Trail. If you choose to ride it you must pay attention to the signage. There are three one lane bridges that have appear with little warning and have claimed many motorcyclists that have missed the posted signs.

A great ride, either on you way to or from Cape Breton is Cape George, which is north of Antigonish. The personal preference is to ride it counter clockwise which makes the start point Antigonish. It follows along the coast of the Northumberland Strait and like the aforementioned is full of curves and elevation changes.

Most of the South Shore of Nova Scotia along the old trunk 3 highway and the many loops off of it are very good. The road to Peggy's Cove, from Bayside to Indian Harbour is all curves. I cut my teeth on this when I was a kid. It is over run in the summer though with tour buses and tourist traffic. Pretty much ruins the experience. The best time would be an early Monday morning.

Another favorite is to take the Wood Islands ferry from PEI to Caribou, NS. From New Glasgow you travel south to Sherbrooke. Here you gas up and back track a few kilometers to then head east toward the Country Harbour ferry. You continue east as far as the community of Lundy where you then head north to Guysboro. From Guysboro you go north to the TCH 104 at Monastery. This route has some rough sections but is challenging and relatively free of car traffic.

To put it all in context I am a 60 year old who rides a CBR 1000RR Honda. My riding partners are a 65 year old VFR rider and a 50 year old Kawasaki ZX-10 rider. We just happen to love sport motorcycles and we actual use them as touring machines as well. I scoff at the idea that motorcycles should somehow be age specific. I am always amazed at the people who ask me, when told I ride a motorcycle, ask which Harley I have. We love all things two wheels but when forced to make a choice sportbikes are it. We are a very disciplined group so that we maintain a relatively safe environment for ourselves and we pose no danger to others with whom we share the road.

Look forward to possibly meeting you next year. You are more than welcome to join us. If you want we can send the details to your smart phone

Cheers
    DA
    Bonshaw, PEI
  13. charles624

charles624 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking the time to write all this down, it's greatly appreciated. It will most likely end up being our main guideline for the trip. I have just spent an hour going through the roads you recommended to see the positioning on the map and they all seem very interesting.

I was happy when I read some ferries were involved. I knew some would have to be taken considering the geographical positioning of the locations we want to travel but I did not think of it as an integral part of the ride.

I hope to meet you as well. When we will head your way I would be more then glad to message you and ride a part of the way along with your buddies.

Sometimes it is hard to stay disciplined on these machines but for the safety of others and yourself you have to stay within reasonable limits when riding on the streets.

Ride safe 4thic & looking forward to a possible ride in the near future.