Bringing an Out-of-State Bike into California

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Badassbobthecattlerustler, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Badassbobthecattlerustler

Badassbobthecattlerustler Cheap Jap Bike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if the only thing California DMV looks for when bringing an out-of-state bike in for registration is that it has at least 7500 on the odometer? I'm fine as far as that goes but I'm psyching myself out about anything else. Bike has an aftermarket can on it but I will be able to put the stock back on. I guess I'm more worried about any emissions that might not be on it that they will look for. Do all bikes sold in every state come with that charcoal canister? Thanks for any input (sorry if I put this in the wrong forum).
  2. Scary Mc

Scary Mc Resist Much. Obey Little. -Whitman Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might be better served in the Regional forums.
  3. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's a BMW, it's a 50-state bike and the 7500 mile rule shouldn't apply. The 7500 mile rule is for vehicles that are not CA emissions compliant. That's so you can't buy a non-compliant vehicle in another state then bring it immediately to CA to register it. Check the CA DMV site for specific info. Dan
  4. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    dtop1 got it right.

<7,500 miles and it's considered a "new" vehicle and must meet CA emission requirements.
    Bikes that do will have a sticker somewhere stating that they meet all states' requirements (the '07 KTM EXC models do!).

>7,500 miles and it's considered used, so you don't have to meet requirements.

Join AAA, and let them handle the title and reg transfer - fast and easy.
  5. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought my '04 KTM 950S from an out-of-state seller. The DMV required that I bring the bike in for an inspection. They wanted to see the VIN and the engine numbers. They also wanted to see the factory-applied emmision sticker (which was under the fuel tank). I had to take the bike home and remove the fuel tank and then trailer the bike back in for them to see the sticker. Keep in mind my bike had only 2k miles on it. The sticker showed that the bike met the CA emmision standards. They didn't really look at the mufflers (which were stock) or anything else. Good luck.
  6. jrandsu

jrandsu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I brought in a 1997 Gsxr 600 from Arizona about 6 month ago. I had the AZ pink (notarized), and bill of sale. It had 18K miles on it. They checked the odometer, the vin and the engine serial number. It did not have any smog or blinkers or bodywork on it. It didn't even have the fuel tank on it.
    I got the new plate on the spot, with stickers. I had to give them about $200 for late fees, transfer, tax, etc. Pink arrived 2 weeks later.
    Now a dual sport is different. Have not had sucess yet.
    Hope this helps.
    JR
  7. ctp13

ctp13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most of the above is correct but the 7,500 mile isue is because of taxes not the 49 vrs 50 state thing

CA has extra tax applied to new vheicles and they have NO intrest in using reason. AAA can not do this for you ( at least not the several ofices I have used) out of state bikes/cars Etc have to go through a dmv OR!!!! there are dealers that have certified inspectors that can do this paperwork for you ( I would look to a Dealer that sells what you bring in since there will at least be some incentive for him through parts and service$ in their future.

They will not ( in my expearence 10-15 out of state purcheses) look to see any thing other than the DOT and emmisions stickers ( even if over 7,500 miles) and Both Vin #s ( yes BOTH!! ) and will look for engine #'s (though they can not tell if they are the right ones unless they are listed on the title) They will not look to see if the lights work or any thing else.

Just the onemindedness of the stickers and Vin numbers.

Have your paper work in hand and a good attitude and spare time.

IF you use the DMV make an appointment if possible , if not go in take a number , go out side get it inspected ( this will save time) then go back in and wait for your turn. If you use a private certifier take his paperwork in along with yours ( you will not need the bike at the DMV if a private inspector has done the paperwork)

Now the trick! go after 4pm! once inside the door they will get you out before 5PM ( YMMV) and do not take time to play inspector Clusoe.

Good luck

Chuck
    ArielNut, Motorius and helven like this.
  8. vagabondingshane

vagabondingshane my advice, drink heavily.

Oddometer:
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

9. RaffyK

RaffyK Bikeholic/Farkleholic

Oddometer:
    I've brought in two in the last 4 months.

Notarize the sellers signature on the title. Get a form 262 filled out if possible (acts as bill of sale and mileage verification) and have the seller give you power of attorney (same form 262).

The bike will be inspected for VIN, engine number and emissions sticker. that's it.
  10. Addicted2it

Addicted2it Reptile Disfunction

Oddometer:
    I just imported a used motorcycle to California from Arizona and have done a bit of research regarding the paperwork needed to register it here.

E-mail me at addicted2it@sbcglobal.net and I'll tell you what I found out, but I don't remember anything pertaining to odomoter readings.

-Phil
  11. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    In the case of a Eurospec bike that's been in the US but never registered, what's a California resident looking at here when it comes to registering it?
    Note, may only have a bill of sale, no other paperwork...
  12. MojaveGS

MojaveGS Loving it!

Oddometer:
    Digging in with McClaw's Div waiting for Jackson
    My neighbor (both in Army) just registered his bike in California. It was born and raised in Bayern, I will ask him.
  13. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    Danka Mojave!
  14. timdrinkswine

timdrinkswine Two Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer:
    I bought a 02 R1150GS with 6,700 miles and Michigan title. They inspected VIN and engine number and emission sticker for CA compliance. The only stress was the PO didn't no where the emissions sticker was and how to remove the seat to find it. Everyone exhaled when the seat finally came off and the sticker was revealed. Could have been a deal breaker.
  15. vagabondingshane

vagabondingshane my advice, drink heavily.

Oddometer:
    The Bottom Line
    If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here.
    Aren’t All Vehicles California Certified?
    Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold to California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. 50-State or California certified vehicles are made to be sold to California residents.
    What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
    California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.
    Exceptions
    As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:
    • Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
    • Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
    • Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
    • Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.
    Check the Label
    To find out whether a car or truck is California Certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle check the headset or frame. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.
    [​IMG]
    Does This Apply to Someone Moving to California?
    If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new federally certified vehicle in California if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in your last state of military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence of your vehicle’s previous registration and that you were a resident of the other state when you acquired the vehicle.
    Vehicles Purchased From Out of the Country
    California has special requirements for vehicles imported from other countries (including Canada and Mexico). It may be very costly and in some cases impossible to modify these vehicles to meet California emission requirements and/or federal motor vehicle safety standards. For example, vehicles manufactured to be sold in Europe (gray market vehicles) less than two years old are not legal for registration or use in California.
    For More Information Regarding...
    • California residency and vehicle importation laws and requirements, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Technical Compliance Section at (916) 657-6795, or go to Buying an Out of State Vehicle.
    • The California Smog check program, contact the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) at (800) 952-5210.
    • California smog laws, gray market vehicles, and 49-state vehicles, contact the California Air Resources Board (ARB) at (800) 242-4450, by email at helpline@arb.ca.gov, or visit ARB online.
  16. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    Iv'e done this a number of times using the Auto Club (AAA) to get the registration.

Make sure the out of state title is corectly filled out and signed by the seller. You will fill out a DMV bill of sale form at the Auto Club.

Less than 7500 miles, make sure the emissions label reads California or 50 State certified. They check two instances of the VIN (stamped at steering head and a stick on label) and the engine number, I give them cash and I walk out with my tag.

More than 7500 miles, same program but they look for a Federal or 49 State emissions label.

I just brought another one in from New Mexico 2 weeks ago so this info is current.

Make sure all labels and numbers are easily visible for the examiner.

I have no experience with vehicles from out of the country.
  17. sixer

sixer I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer:
  18. dmrrallen

dmrrallen Thermonuclear projection

Oddometer:
    Hey KLRscumbag,

1) Are you military transfering into CA?
    2) Do you have current registration on your bike from either your last duty station or home of record?

CA could care less about emissions on a MC (I'm in Santa Barbara County...home of the Eco-Nazis) and if your registration is current, they care less about your VIN. If you are Military you can roll on your valid out-of-state registration as long as it's valid (yes, you can keep renewing it out of state if you want)

When I got here my Sportster (yes, I was a loud pipe guy) was due registration and I didn't want to hassle with going through Michigan to renew. I didn't even have to bring my bike in to DMV, just did a title and registration transfer.
  19. blown9746

blown9746 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KLR I moved here about 6 months ago and all I did was take my bike and title to aaa. They verified vin, engine #, and mileage above 7500. I pd my money and walked out with a tag.
  20. RaffyK

RaffyK Bikeholic/Farkleholic

Oddometer:

Interesting my AAA office that has a DMV sub-office wouldn't. They sent me to the larger DMV office for VIN verification and registration.