Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. AirCommando

AirCommando Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tucson Inmates,

I just picked up an XR650R and want to get the suspension set up for a 230lb rider. Does anyone know of an individual or shop in the Tucson area that could assist? Thank you.
  2. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try Don at ZR1 Suspension. Here is his link: http://zr1suspension.com/
  3. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    I realize "cold" is a relative term, especially if you are from Alaska, but it is cold at night here this time of year. Not bad for a couple nights, but 2 weeks would not be fun in my opinion. Anywho, there are hotels at $30/night around here and at least you have a shower. Recently I stayed somewhere that offered camping and casitas and it was only $5 more for the casita than it was for the camping spot, crazy. If you are young and adventuresome go on couchsurfing.com and look for someone who will provide a place for free...or as they used to say...ass, grass or gas no one rides for free.
  4. mntdawg

mntdawg NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer:
  5. HoosierTrailmaster

Oddometer:
    Here is my opinion. Mexico would be dangerous for a solo for one reason only. If you get hurt you have no one to make sure you get out safe. I have lots of contacts who tell numerous stories of getting hit by cars, running into donkeys etc. etc. and several of them came close to dying. With that said, life is short, be safe.
  6. mntdawg

Oddometer:
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  8. operaflute

operaflute Starving Artist

Oddometer:
    I saw this in the paper, too, and found myself thinking that the temporary closure of these areas must have made for a lot of angry gun enthusisasts.
    It's a good reminder that the actions of a few can spoil it for the many, regardless of what the area of interest is.
  9. HoosierTrailmaster

Oddometer:
    Ya, unfortunately it isn't just a few. I have seen many many folks up there shooting all kinds of crap and not picking it up. Even if you didn't bring it up there, you should pack out the stuff someone else brought in just to make it better than when you arrived. Brass doesn't really bother me because there is value in that and SOMEONE will retrieve it at some point. Shot up TV's, Refrigs, etc. No one is going to mess with that. With that said...I do love to shoot and hate to see any place closed to shooting. I also believe that was a fairly safe place to do it if everyone obeys range etiquette.
  10. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
  11. HoosierTrailmaster

Oddometer:
    Bob,

You might want to do the Sunday ride with us. It is a mostly dirt ride, fairly easy. It was. The one that got postponed from last week due to cold. We will meet at the Shell station on Ajo just West of Kinney at 9:00am.

There is a ride Saturday at Charouleau Gap, but I am thinking it is much more than you want to do on a DR 650.
  12. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, the same thing happens with bike riders. It can be someone riding off the trail, tearing up a muddy trail, a too loud exhaust, or just being inconsiderate of hikers/horses. The actions of just a few can affect all of us...

Dave
  13. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    The Sunday ride could be OK, depending how my Saturday ride works out.

The DR650 itself isn't the problem - it's me. A few years back when I was riding with a couple of PHX guys all winter, we did Charouleau Gap in both directions on KLR's, plus all the rough Chivas stuff, and Gunsight Pass (both sides) with my wife on the back of the KLR, Nothing was too rough then, but if you remember the Chivas ride I did with you in Jan 2010, I could hardly walk. That turned out really bad as I'd ruptured a disc (L4-L5) and did permanent nerve damage before I went home in March for surgery. I've lost a lot of control of my right leg and foot and can no longer "dab" effectively in rough stuff - or pick the bike up when I drop it - or get off and on it without using the sidestand and footpeg. So, it's not the bike anymore.

I'll see how I do on Bullsprings and Flux Canyon and then decide if I can do the Arrivaca ride - I presume it would be similar to Brian's DID rides (with Becky and others) back in '10 and '11.

Thanks
    Bob
  14. DesertDuster

DesertDuster Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer:
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

I was thinking of taking a two-up trip down to that pizza place in patagonia next weekend, how is the food?
  16. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    ... and here's a few more. I really enjoyed that ride, although the rocky climb up Flux Canyon was a bit rougher than I remembered.

Ron: After you and Matt headed home, we went south from Patagonia and rode 3 Canyon. The Jeep Trails book rates it difficulty as the same as Bullsprings, but most of the trail looked like it had recently been regraded so it was really easy (if the sun didn't momentarily block your vision when a large obstacle is on the trail ....).

Swimmer: The pizza, and the patio, was good.

Bob
  17. mntdawg

Oddometer:
    I had to be in Tucson this afternoon, so I killed some time looking at a route I had not put rubber on in over a decade.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

FS boundry.
    [​IMG]
    Drizzit should know where this is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Papago spring/well.
    [​IMG]

Tucson mountains in the distance.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking over the Rincon valley to Wasson peak and the Silver Bells.
    [​IMG]

This route reminds me of the Agua Caliente hill jeep roads twenty years ago.

18. HoosierTrailmaster

Oddometer:
    We're you over off Pistol Hill Road?
  19. mntdawg

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. HoosierTrailmaster

Oddometer:
    Dawg,

Through the coral and over to the springs. If you head up the hill to the ridge and hike up along the fence line about 4 miles, bushwack across the falls over 2 ridges there is a crashed WW II bomber up there. It is spread across an area of about 200 yards, there is still a propeller and several engines.