Shin guards for trials?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Zuendapp, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Zuendapp

Zuendapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the trials riders that use shin guards, is there one brand or style that you prefer?

I’m looking for front protection from foot pegs and falling, but not as restrictive as some Motocross styles? Maybe Mountain bike / BMX styles?
    I will be wearing MX style pants, not trials specific pants.
    let me know what’s available.

Thanks
    Terry
  2. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thor:D
  3. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    I really like the Fox Titan Race series. Nice buckle so they are fast on fast off, and the way the knee cup is designed it keeps it pressed against you knee, not flopping away like some. Had a hard hit on mine the other day. I'm hurting, but not in the hospital because of my armor.
  4. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    I use the Fox Titan Sport guards. They were the most comfy guards that the shop had in stock that day. I've been using them for a couple of years with no complaints. If you have large calves, you may have issues with the length of the straps but with my "normal" sized legs it's not an issue.

They tuck down into my Alpinestar No-Stop boots and once on, I completely forget that they're there. Simple, cheap and comfortable.

[​IMG]
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    A well worn trials rider just goes with the pantella cup upgrade while purchasing knee braces.
  6. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really anything that covers the knee into the boot. i will never ride trials without them.

Someth9ing like this is fine, I have fox something or the other. :ear

[​IMG]
  7. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a nice set of Demon knee pads. Fan of the D3o stuff. I got them late this spring after a fall and using my knee to protect the new bike from the ground. A month later I had the pads and did the exact same thing, crashed bad. They worked great! Not a scrach or a bruise. All the damage was internal. Completely tore the ACL. That was 6 months ago, had surgery, rehab, etc. It will be a year for full recovery. Just started getting back on the bike again. Just got fitted for a knee BRACE.

After dealing with internal damage, I don't mind minor scrapes and bruises. They heal a lot faster.
  8. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What type do you use? Asterisk? Ive used some cheap ones (Thor) and blew them out last year when I really needed them. (along with my knee) Re-thinking the true cost now...
  9. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Long timer

Oddometer:
    my insurance covered cti custom knee braces about 12 years ago. i sent them back a couple years ago to be refurbished and when they came back, i couldn't tell if they were mine or brand new. when they went for refurbishment, i found that the name of the parent company was "ossur." hope this helps you. i love mine. i bought the older style, red lace up, asterisks to wear when my cti's were away, and found them to be much hotter, and i never got along with the lace up system. if i was buying off the shelf, and money was no object, the pod brand braces look light, comfortable and protective.
  10. joe cool

joe cool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used Thor in the past and now I'm using six six one. Cheap but effective.
  11. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Insurace isn't as nice today. They will only cover one CTI brace, the one for the tore up knee. I have not done enough shopping for what I am going to put on the "good" knee. Asterisk is on the list. That shopping will have to wait until next year. The CTI is still processing. After I get that I will have a reference point for an economy off the shelf brace, if you call $300 the economy model. At least I only need to buy one. A second custom CTI brace is NOT in the budget. Maybe in a couple of years and have the HSA pay for it, after I build the HSA back up. I do have a script for that good knee, that does make it a medical expense...
  12. amcross

amcross Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer:
    I used to waer my shinguards outside my pants but inside my boots. old, bad habit. thought it'd be more comfortable or some other stupid reason i can no longer remember.

first trials in 2012 (read: first trials in 21 years for me), I took a seemingly innocuous spill going up literally a fire road. bike turned left and fell uphill, i went downhill, draggin my leg over the chain and rear tire. Yep, you guessed it, the danged knee guards did a perfect job of rolling down backward and protecting absolutely NOTHING. The hematoma was legendary, as several Advrider members can attest!

I never ride without them now, and 99% of the time have them inside my MX pants.

i WANT to go to knee braces, but everything i've tried puts pressure around the patella itself ("holding it", I know ....) which accelerates to being too painful to ride before i'eve even gotten on the bike, let alone a single kick. I do wear a compression sleeve on the bad knee and compete iwth them on both, but would love to find a reasonably priced guard brace to wear taht will support the joint and NOT perssure the patella.:eek1
  13. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of CTI2`s starting to get a little worn out. I have had others. I am so naturaly got the correct trials pose that I have to have the custom only.(Slightly bowlegged).
  14. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll check them out - thanks.
  15. phoenixfire

phoenixfire Adventurer

Oddometer:

I have the same problem with braces. You should try the knee wraps i have. they support my patella (i have really loose kneecaps that pop out of joint time to time) but without putting pressure on the whole knee and they're pretty cheap. i wore them all day sunday and monday even under my armor and forgot they were even there. and they definitely help support my kneecap when i'm stepping off the bike hard or at a funny angle. better than nothing anyway!
  16. amcross

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Liz! I'll check them out next time we ride.

Because of my genetics, ALL of my joints are loose and inclined to sublocate or even dislocate with little to no warning. I'd really lke something that provides outside support ot the joint- minimize the chance of twisting the whole knee, etc...
  17. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    My Asterisks are getting worn out so I may try some of these:

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Reviews/News/MXA-TEAM-TESTED-POD-MX-K700-KNEE-BRACE--5422.aspx

The price is scary but nothing compared to a wrecked knee.
    They are supposed to be more comfortable and less bulky than others.
    A good (usually expensive) brace will not rub the patella. They have the cup raised up a little so that it will glide over the knee when it bends.

Trials is brutal on knees, even without crashing. I really recommend something along these lines.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice looking brace. (since they look like a CTI) I had a prototype generic from CTI for free. It was always `wrong` for my leg. If you are spending money on braces, if you can get the ones actually made for you! A measurement just at the knee is not adequate. My legs are trials legs after all!
  19. amcross

Oddometer:
    Gordy, that's one good looking brace, and i'm seriously considering something like it. the sticker price is painful, as i no longer have a great geneticist who believes in an ounce of prevention. Although, I do have a good sports medicine doctor that i've not seen in a few years, who might see the need for the brace. my insurance would still have a BIGGG copay, but at least it would help!

my biggest fear is laying out that kind of money and then it doesn't fit / binds/ pinches / hurts...
  20. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up my CTI brace last night. Spent the evening taking it on and off, getting to the point I can do it comfortably and predictably. Left it on for a couple hours and walked around the house with it. Considering what insurance paid for this thing I now have a reference point for what a custim fit brace should feel like. It comes right down to the top of the boot, I may have to change to some over the boot pants, it basicly rubs the top of the boot.

No need for any shin gaurd as there is no shin exposed between the boot and the knee brace.

The bad news is insurance only bought the left knee. Since I have not destroyed the right knee yet, insurance will not pay for that one. For the out of pocket price of the CTI, I will be trying a generic off the shelf brace for the right leg. Now to go shopping for one. So many choices, all way cheaper then a CTI but nowhere near what I would call cheap. Christmas has completely blown the budget right now, I will have some time to research. Don't have any cash for an impulse purchase of this level right now. But that POD is an option, outward appearance looks very close to the CTI. I will be wanting to try and match the CTI just in the generic form.

I did try the generic CTI before they custom fit me. I know what they should NOT feel like. I might just have to stop in Chapparral and try them in person on my next road trip to Cali.