Thumper individuality?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Roberto Carlos, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Roberto Carlos

Roberto Carlos n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but so far I've found it very pleasant, especially compared to so many others out there.
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, hope you guys won't mind.

I've been wondering, what are the comparative strenghts and weaknesses you know between different thumpers. I have my trusty '93 Kawasaki KLR 650 and just bought an '02 F650 Dakar. The dealer, who isn't BMW only, but of several brands, seemed very interested in selling me a KTM Lc4 Adventure instead of my Dakar. Ultimately I chose the D because most of my riding (90%) is on-road, mostly city, some twisties and even some multi-lane highways, wich in Mexico are pretty much speed limitless :jose (not nice when your bike tops out @ around 100mph, and lots of cages with cell phones for drivers will easily cruise at 110+ :eek:ogle ).

Anyway, what with ABS and all that I figured that for me the better choice would be the D, however I'm concerned with reliablity, the KLR was (is) *dead-reliable* even after a couple of unhappy encounters with subcompact cages, and from what I've read the D might not be as stout. Also, am I right in my assumption that the KTM is intended for more dirt - less road than the D? Over these first 5000km I've been very, very happy with the beemer, but I am a bit scared of the possible repair costs and FI headaches some people seem to have.

Anyway, sorry for the length, and thanks for any comments you might have. Tomorrow is Sunday, wich means more F650 miles, even if it rains or gets bitter cold up in the higher passes, I know I'll be the only one with warm hands! Heated grips rule! :thumb
  2. kiwiDakar

kiwiDakar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :): "concerned with reliablity"

I have 5,000ks on my 2002 dakar and it has run great. I ride about 75% road and found that on roads here in New Zealand is has right power.

All my advise would be is enjoy the bike. There are some that are never happy.

I may look at up grading to the 1150gsa in about 12 months as I do a lot of 2 up riding, but the size of the bike may be too big for the our adventure riding in New Zealand. :drums
  3. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the Asylum!

Don't worry, the Rotax engine of the 650GS is even more robust than the KLR. Some surging and stalling plagued the EFI until mid 2001: you should be fine with the 2002 you have. I have mine with 8,000 miles on it (runs perfectly) and for what you describe about your riding it seems a better choice than the KTM.
  4. DakotaDakar

DakotaDakar Soil Sampler

Oddometer:
    About the KTM: I have owned three of them (all offroad models) and they are truly great bikes. BUT...getting parts can be a nightmare. Waiting for MONTHS is not uncommon. I have read on the internet that this problem appears all over the country, too. Once you finally do get a part, paying for it becomes the next problem. Very high dollar.

Unless you are REALLY in love with the KTM (which it sounds like you are not) you are better off with the Dakar, IMHO.
  5. Grt Wht

Grt Wht Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 26,200 miles on my 01' Dakar and 18,700 on my wifes 01 GS and the only "serious" problem so far was the fuel pump went out on my Dakar. I ride quite a bit at speeds of 80-85MPH on the highway and some on dirt roads at 50-60MPH.
  6. george

george Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have late 2001 Dakar with 13,000 kms on it. I ride also 90% on sealed roads of varying quality but have also taken the Dakar over BIG sand dunes, crapy goat tracks and what pass for dirt raods in Outback Australian. I have had a few problems with surging and speedo and starter solinoid (all when the bike was <3 months old). The bike shop were good, never fobbed me off and BMW Australia don't argue to much about warranty issues.

All in all fantastic all round bike. IMHO with a decent set of tires (I use MT21's off road) a bit of care and an adventurous spirit, the Dakar will take you anywhere you care to go and in comfort to boot.

Only mods I have done is power socket, panniers and progressive front springs (on order).

Cheers:ear