First Rebuild XR600 Help Apreciated

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by lwhite89, Apr 21, 2015.

1. lwhite89

lwhite89 n00b

Oddometer:
    So last summer i decided to give my XR some much needed TLC and start on my first proper bike project. I stripped the bike down to the frame got it all professionally powder coated, bolts zinc plated and now it's time to put it all back together, a task i knew would be a challenge, but one well worth doing.

I've been following my Haynes and have just began the rebuilt this week. I've rebuilt the steering yolk with the intension of starting with a rolling chassis but have come up with some trouble with my swing arm.

When i go to bolt my swing arm it only fits 2 of the 3 bolts, it seems like it's too long for the frame. I can bolt my swing arm on no problem with the shock detached, but the shock won't fit from the frame to the arm.

I'm using all the same parts and none of it has been adjusted since it's been off the bike, is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance
  2. Smopho

Smopho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Powder coat takes up clearances because of its' thickness, as does the plating on the bolts. Did you protect the threads when you coated the frame? If not, chase them with a tap to clean the coating off the threads.
  3. lwhite89

lwhite89 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yea all the threads were covered, the problem seems to be that the shock is too long, maybe i should take some photos.
  4. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have to double-check the way you are mounting the shock linkage. The shock should stick out of the bottom of the swing arm and is bolted to the suspension linkage.
  5. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you rebuild the shocks while it was all apart? You may need to compress them a bit to get them to fit.