Anyone in Jacksonville, FL?

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by PirateJohn, May 25, 2007.

1. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
  2. g27radio

g27radio We Todd Ed

Oddometer:
    bump...

Just got my DRZ this past month. I live in Jax Beach and have already scouted out a bit of dirt for riding in the area. If anyone is up for riding, please post here.
  3. bronc3

bronc3 Lucky 13

Oddometer:
  4. g27radio

g27radio We Todd Ed

Oddometer:
    Mostly dirt county roads, but there are a couple places to get off the road here and there. Pine Island Rd off of US1 (between Jax and St Aug.) Ft Georges Island off of Heckscher (near the ferry) has some nice roads to ride on, but that's more of a mellow kind of "keep it low profile" ride because it's a state park.

For beach riding there's Vilano Beach (off A1A before you hit St Aug, 10mph speed limit) and Huguenot Memorial Park (also by the ferry on Heckscher/A1A, 5mph speed limit, 50 cent entry fee.) Obviously you can't go nuts, but it's still kinda fun. I'll be posting some video from yesterday at Huguenot in a minute.

There are some powerlines with trails off of them between 210 and Racetrack road, west of I-95. The section of powerlines immediately off of 210 is posted, so you have to head a little north to find the sections that aren't posted or gated.

I've also heard locally that people ride of the powerlines somewhere near Atlantic and 9A. Someone else told me there are some dunes or something out by the Jacksonville Zoo, but I haven't checked that out yet either.

I'm planning on trying out Ocala this weekend if the weather cooperates.
  5. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from y'all!

We (maybe 2-3 of us lately) still get together at Parson's every so often but I am open to offers for other places and other times.

Anyone want to get together one of these nights and shoot the breeze?

I've been wanting to get a better off road bike but right now I have to manage with an R1150GS. Even the R1100GS is down for maintenance right now and that sucks!

If you want to email me directly the best address is PirateJohn@aol.com. AOL and ADVRider have had a bit of a falling out and I think that anything send from this site basically goes into the garbage.
  6. g27radio

g27radio We Todd Ed

Oddometer:
    I'm always up for a couple beers. I've driven by Parson's a bunch of times but I've never been in the place. I usually go to Spare Time (corner of 3rd St and 17th Ave North, across from Goodyear) because they have cheap beer and decent wings.

Also, Twisted Sisters on Beach has good food, good music, plenty of chicks, and the owners are real cool people. It's a bit more upscale so food and drinks cost a bit more there.
  7. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Post your next meeting. I have a GS live in Jax and I have another buddy at Atlantic Beach with a GS. We will try and join you next time.

Thanks
    Rich
  8. g27radio

g27radio We Todd Ed

Oddometer:
    Well, if anyone's bored tonight I'll be heading out to Spare Time at the beach around 7 or 7:30PM. If anyone wants to meet up there PM me first in case I get sidetracked :norton
  9. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Damn. It's 10:50 and I am sitting at a place in Arlington so I missed this gig.

I'd vote for Twisted Sister. Great ahi tuna. Even though they ran off some of the cheapskates that used to be part of our vintage club ;)

Let's set a date for Twisted Sisters. What will work for Youse Guys?
  10. g27radio

g27radio We Todd Ed

Oddometer:
    I'll be around tomorrow. I'm probably headed to Ocala National Forest to ride on Friday/Saturday but it's still kinda up in the air at this point.
  11. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    "Tomorrow" being Thursday, i.e. today as I am writing this?

My office is down here at The Beaches. Give me a call at 904/673-0932 if you want (and, yes, I do answer the phone as PirateJohn!) and we can grab a beer and some vittles after work if you want.

What I was thinking about doing was seeing if we could schedule something for perhaps Tuesday thru Thursday afternoon of next week and try to get the word around and see who might show up. There were a handful of GS riders in the old vintage club and some folks with off road bikes - I might be able to get some of them to show up with a little notice.
  12. g27radio

g27radio We Todd Ed

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty flexible about which afternoon to meet. I'll give you a call shortly about beers tonight. Also, I just posted my "Florida Primaries" ride report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306955
  13. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    I emailed some of y'all privately, but a couple of us are planning to get togther, tell bullshit, and discuss some possible riding opportunities. 6PM Wednesday at Twisted Sisters in JAX Beach. Hope to see ya there!
  14. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Planning on making it.

15. g27radio

g27radio We Todd Ed

Oddometer:
    That was a pretty decent turnout John. Sorry that the sisters assumed that I invited everyone :lol3. Then I tried to tell Sunny you invited everyone but you didn't let me get a word in edgewise :rofl. Anyway, good job getting everyone out. I think a good time was had by all.

A couple people asked about Ocala, so I wanted to let you guys know that I just finished the Ocala ride report, including a little video I threw together at the end: Ocala National Forest solo ride - ADVrider
  16. sinner

sinner Flea or not to Flea?

Oddometer:
    Why not come join the Fl Flees over at Osceola n forest, we are meetin in the Ocean pond camp site. friday/sat/sunday. As this is very near you Guys. Just a thought.:clap
  17. g27radio

g27radio We Todd Ed

Oddometer:
    I was really hoping to, but my front tire is trashed and the new one hasn't arrived yet. I'll definately be heading there eventually though (and Ocala again as well.) Hey maybe I can make it Saturday night.... hmm
  18. CjCat

CjCat ladyrider

Oddometer:
    Osceola's the best!
    We go there as often as we can!:clap
  19. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Conversation with a group of riders is about like food or extra beer. You'd better not be shy and better jump right in there... 'specially when talking to an attractive blonde who owns a bar :lol3 :wink:

Agreed Todd, it was a good turnout. I dunno if we got anything firmly scheduled, but future gigs in the Ocala Forest (are you reading this Jack Daniels?) and perhaps getting with Bill Ferran and the local BMW club as Bill leads another GS ride next month (that would be March 2nd I believe) looks like a winner to me.

I am hoping that we can get together again in maybe 3-4 weeks. Twisted Sisters is pretty good, but I am not sure if it's the best place for us to meet. So if anyone has any suggestions on future meetings I'd be interested in hearing 'em.
  20. g27radio

g27radio We Todd Ed

Oddometer:
    I just got back from ONF again. Yeah, I ended up going again this weekend even though I'm still on that super-worn-out front tire.

Bill seemed really knowledgable about both kinda of bikes which was really cool. I wish I had more time to ask him about the BMW X-Country. That bike sounds really cool, but I don't think I'll be able to afford one in the near future. And I'm still having a blast with the DRZ. It gets better every day man :D

I liked meeting at Twisted since I know a lot of people there, but that's just me, so I won't try to sway your opinion one way or the other. How was the Ahi by the way? :evil