990 adv vs f800gs

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by El Chivo, Apr 2, 2008.

1. El Chivo

El Chivo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I decided to write in this forum because I want a neutral input, I have at home a strong and beautiful Honda 750 Africa Twin but I decided to change for something more update, so I'm undecided between two beauties: the ktm 990 adv and the new and i don't know if it's available yet the bmw f800gs, what comments do you have for me?
  2. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    What are your reasons for upgrading? What kind of riding do you do?
  3. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    well.... my comments are:
    yes.
    what?
    why?
    and have you ridden either?
  4. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    Easy answer. How soon do you want to ride you new bike?:evil
  5. Clarkman

Clarkman Don't taze me bro.

Oddometer:
    That's funny.
    :strum :super :drums
  6. El Chivo

El Chivo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use my bike for conmute but in weekends I like to do offroad, the Africa Twin is a great bike was discontinued in 2003 and sometimes is difficult to find parts.
    I know that if I want my new bike now I only have one option, but I would like to hear some opinions before I take the next step
  7. eral

eral Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Even if the 800GS is not available and apparently will not be before at least fall 08, there are a few things that are sure to be better:

- Fuel gauge, gear indicator
    - More importantly: gas mileage

From every report I read about the 800ST (and from my bro who tried it), the power curve is very linear and feels un-impressive. The few ride reports I have read about the GS seem to say the same.

The 990 will probably be cheaper.

As for riding on and off pavement, I have the feeling it is going to be a close call. Pretty tough to do better than the 99ty.
    --
    Eric
  8. OutbreakMonkey

OutbreakMonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If they're both around the same price in your neck of the woods, then it's an easy pick. The KTM is a hands down better machine. Fully adjustable suspension, 100hp vtwin and it doesn't look like an ugly duckling.
    Duitser likes this.
  9. paochow

paochow Bye bye desert

Oddometer:
    In my opinion the biggest handicap to both bikes is range. Granted I'm kind of throttle happy, so I don't get the advertised MPG, but the KTM with it's 5.1 (ish) gallon tank and the BMW with 4.25 gallons don't have enough capacity for serious exploring, especially when you are spinning tires and carrying a heavy load up and down hills.

I'm adding an Aqualine tank to my 990 which will help eliminate the issue. I wonder if BMW plans on releasing a 800GSA?
  10. jetdocX

jetdocX Out of the Orange Closet

Oddometer:
    The A in GSA commonly refers to ABS when talking F bikese.

I think you mean A as in adventure like on the larger GS'?:deal
  11. eral

eral Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't tell me, I must be throttle happy too. At ~25 mpg on trails, the range is seriously limited. Looking at my friends F650GS, I am quite sure the beemer will do better... much better. The 800 is already geared towards trail rides, I would be surprised if an adventure version with bigger tanks does not come out a little later.
    The Aqualine tanks do look very sexy for the Kat, but they are quite expensive. That is a little hi-jack, but anyone knows if they fit within the stock crash bars?
    --
    Eric
  12. eral

eral Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ~Dakar, if you prefer.
  13. ronbaror

ronbaror V_Ron

Oddometer:
    Are you implying that the inputs in GSpot are not neutral ???:rofl
    If you want a neutral input, I have a suggestion:

1. The 990 is easy - Go to your dealer and take a test ride
    2. The GS is harder because you say it is un-available yet
    I was fortunate enough to take a test ride on a the new 800GS, so maybe I can help.

There are only a few reports on it on the web so far, and I am sure you have seen the links to these reports on other forums.

So the added value of my input is to point you to the "accurate one".
    And this is it:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2008/02/23/nosplit/mfbike123.xml

The report on MotorcycleDaily is also ok, it seems to address the correct issues, but not as directly as the telegraph report.
    http://www.motorcycledaily.com/17february08_bmw2008f800gs.htm

Bottom line - The GS seems like a great bike but it ain't perfect.., Still I think that eventually I will probably buy one:rofl ....and I even like the looks, better looking than the KTM in my opinion. (I am not sure they are direct competitors. The KTM has a better spec but a price to match)

P.S.
    One last thing regarding Neutral.
    I have never ridden a bike with a smoother shift to Neutral at the lights.
    From 1'st gear you only need to think about finding Neutral, and you are there.
  14. El Chivo

El Chivo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ronbarbor,

You don`t need to take it bad when I said NEUTRAL, because if you bought a 990 is because you think thats the best machine, the same way if you ride a bmw.
    I thought that this forum is for free speech and I don´t want to hurt the ego of someone, if I would post this in the orange crush maybe you will say that why I didn´t post in the gs spot.

Cheers Ronbarbor:freaky
  15. paochow

paochow Bye bye desert

Oddometer:
    Ah, excuse my Beemer ignorance. Adventure/Dakar is what I referring to.

Nope, not without some shiming or welding. Holding the Touratech Aqualine bars up to the HB standards shows the TT bars have and extra 1.5-2" of clearance. A few guys on the OC have modded bars to work, but I think they are using the old SW-Motechs.
  16. ronbaror

ronbaror V_Ron

Oddometer:
    El Chivo,

I didn't take your remark hard. To the contrary, I understand your question and am trying to help you.....and we are all for free speech...

Most countries don't have the 800GS yet.
    We do, because our dealer is always quick in bringing new bikes.

So I have had a chance to ride the bike, while most of you haven't :rofl , Lucky me.....

I am a big fan of the big dual sports like your Africa Twin, or the old DR BIG. Too bad the Japs have dropped this line of bikes, but maybe now, following the Euro adventure bikes they will revive this line.

But sometimes memories can be deceiving.
    In today's standards, these bikes (BIG , and AT) would not be considered so great.
    The 800GS is a much better bike than the Africa twin, and also much better than the DR BIG.

The problem is.......that as bikes have improved, so have our expectations.
    For the prices these bikes cost (both KTM and BWM) , I expect to get a perfect bike... in today's terms.
    And that for me means primarilly :
    - excellent frame and suspension, firm and adjustable - KTM style
    - excellent engine - I was hoping something like an 800cc V-Strom

So all I wanted to say is, that I really enjoyed the bike, but that it is not perfect.....
    For what this bike costs in the US , 10K$ , I would go and buy one immediately..... Unfortunately here it costs 30K$ :eek1 :huh ....which means that I will have to think about it a bit longer....before I buy one:rofl :rofl