Grand Canyon Loop: Ulterior Motives

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by motoged, May 15, 2012.

1. Scubatoe

Scubatoe Retired trained monkey

Oddometer:
    You suck.

The only thing worse than reading about the awesome trip your bike made without you, is being surrounded by stuff like this while without a bike:

[​IMG]

...or, maybe reading about hot chicks doing yoga, but no pics - thanks to you lazy bastards.
  2. TK-LA

TK-LA SoCal Rider

Oddometer:

Have you tried rebooting it? That always helps
  3. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    the only mode of transportation better than a dirt bike there would be a chopper:lol3
    missed ya on this trip Steve but if you were there Travis would not have made it. Thanks again for the bike use.

oh yeah btw when you went to the smaller size pants what happened?????? you take the patato out:rofl
  4. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bob,
    Are you and Travis going to tell Steve about that "incident" that had some effect on the frame, camshaft and clutch issues???

Huh....are ya????:pot

:D:D
  5. mountainfever

mountainfever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    subscribed , was in mesquite for a week of excellent riding in april , I would have loved to do a loop around the canyon
    lots of excellent riding and scenery down there !!!
    mf
  6. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    ahhhh now we see you are quite the shit stirrer:D
  7. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    and as far as jumping to the lead regarding the "hot chicks" showing off...................they had the bodys of 10 year old boys and the attitude of valley girls..............just didnt do anything for me

on the other hand Russell:evil
  8. roc104

roc104 We got this!

Oddometer:
    Ged,

You are going to have to be more specific about which incident you are talking about...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry Bare, but you know you crash more than this anyway:rofl
  9. tucanslam

tucanslam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl
  10. Scubatoe

Oddometer:
    Good, I would've hated for her to have gotten spoiled.
  11. Scubatoe

Oddometer:
    Just part of my master plan for KOTW 2013...
  12. Buster714

Buster714 I'll ride anything

Oddometer:
    dtbushpilot: "What happened Ged" I asked, already knowing the answer. "Nothing" he replied, "why do you ask?....."You're covered with silt" I responded. "Oh that. We don't have silt in Canada so when I saw it I wanted to stop and play in it....you know, like you desert rats like to do when you come up North and see the snow for the first time. I laid down and made a few silt angels...they were cool, you should have seen them"........I think he fell down but his story was so good that I didn't challenge him.

:rofl:rofl:rofl

GC trip next week with some SoCal FF's. Enjoying your posts!
  13. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not know that Travis One had a dirt nap on that wash....cuz I was rippin' through it :lol3

Soft sand I don't like....wet sand with babyheads is Good Stuff...

[​IMG]

So, Bob, there is a bit of merit in bringing that up :D

I don't remember the name of this wash, but it was on our Day Three....and led us to that magical beach on Lake Powell....but I am jumping ahead with our story...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kevin has pointed out something I was unaware of as I was looking at the rattlesnakes behind the lodge....

Perhaps BobZ is fluffing up his coiffure here for Russell....Travis Two also seems a bit smitten....menage a trois in the covered wagon ???

Someone was whistling the score to BrokeDown Mountain :evil:evil A foreboding tune...???

[​IMG]

Be careful of cowboys who wear their Stetsons on a rakish angle.

But after a good long day in the saddle, we sought comfort where we could. :D
  15. tucanslam

tucanslam Adventurer

Oddometer:

Another reason to take a lot of pictures on a trip. You capture all the magical moments. :krusty
  16. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    you guys crack me up............bunch of homophobic bastards..............but the cowboy.....it wasnt broke Bike mountain.....yet:evil

the wash going before going to lake Powell was Wahweap. I remember making sand angles my self on that twisty sand road. I think the only time i really hit the ground hard the whole trip.
    we are really out of order now Wahweap was the 3rd or 4th day wasnt it?
  17. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bob,
    We ARE out of order....but I will try and herd our kitties back to getting additional comments to close up DAY ONE over the weekend before I dive into DAY TWO.

I am riding for two days this weekend creating some tracks for a local 3-day ride I am putting together for July 21-23....and this route will be the core for what you guys will ride WHEN :deal you come up next summer :freaky

I will say at this time that Bar 10 was an oasis after a dusty and hot day riding through desert plains, rocky cliff trails, some faster gravel from time-to-time, and that delicious track to and out of the Sherwood Forest gully shortcut. The group was settling into a groove of sorts and no one was hurt or got lost.

[​IMG]

I am happy to have surprised Kevin that I managed to get up that slippery sideslope, but his starter push helped that happen....I actually felt more confident in that stuff than on the faster roads covered with marbles.....or was that just me?

Kevin, inspired by the Yoga Girls, just had to start his acrobatic warm-up...

[​IMG]

It was encouraging to see him get it up after leading us out of temptation that day :D

The sorting of minor details (kickstand hemorrhages, leaking gas tanks, tight chains, quad invasions) helped us develop our first group rendezvous less than an hour east of Mesquite....

[​IMG]

The "warm-up" ride to the cliff wall gave folks a chance to let their Coyote Bags settle in for adjustment, allowed Dan to wonder where his brake pedal was, and folks to catch their breath, have a sip of water, gobble a Power Bar...

[​IMG]

...and throw out gender challenges (All that homophobic stuff seems standard for a bunch of testosterone-addled guys....you know, that shoulder-punching "I love you" stuff that guys do instead of feeling comfortable with that oblique handshake-hug thing....or even a real one...:feelgood)...... :D

But I have to say....I was more interested in checking out the camel features of the Yoga Girls.....more than even noticing Russell :eek1

[​IMG]

Bobby along the cliff trail.....was this before or after he did some metallurgical testing on that ledge bit???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our campsite that night was a mile or two south of the ranch's airstrip...."just over that lava flow". Toroweap was off in the distance....too bad we missed your cave, Bob :cry

[​IMG]

...and past a cabin. I believe some of you guys stopped at the cabin for a bit before the final choice of campsite....too many cows and their droppings in that little area with the cabin for my liking. Didn't one of you check out the outhouse or something????

Our first camping night seemed to be successful....we had a fire, various libations, and good stories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone , however, needs to tell the history of "The Chair Story"...:y0!

The next morning there appeared to be evidence that SOME cowboy had a rough ride ////

[​IMG]
  18. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I'm loving the story and photos motoged.

Dave Schwartz :deal
  19. roc104

roc104 We got this!

Oddometer:
    The chair story is just another example of Bobzilla, a closet perfectionist, eventually finding a deficiency with every man made device since toilet paper…Every trip I have taken with him is a test of the newest, greatest chair that he has found. With all the enthusiasm of a first time self-help book reader, he inevitably touts his newest chair as the solution to ultra light off road camping comfort…He then tells you the problems with your selection, and truly believes that the deficiency of his previous chair is a thing of the past.

If you can say anything about this man, it is that he is a very creative guy. So he does not just go with the most expensive, proven chair from day one like Tiner…NO, he has to suffer through countless iterations with ball busting stools, two legged balancing apparatus’, three legged-two legged chairs, kids chairs with arm rests, and myriad others that I have blocked from my brain because the pain is too great.

The most tremendous collapse of this process occurred on the first night of our TAT trip 2 or 3 years ago. After a long and hot 200 mile day we found our campsite. A pristine mountain pass covered with junipers and sagebrush, with scenic views and a nice “flat” spot for the tents. With knees sore from 20 years of desert racing, Bob triumphantly unpacks his chair to remove his gear. Within seconds Bob snaps his chair and is on his ass, spewing foulness and vulgarities I knew not existed.

John (our 68 year old riding partner and my personal hero) reminds Bob, without so much as a hint of irony, that REI accepts the return of broken merchandise. Of course, he fails to mention to Bob that he will have to carry this broken chair, a personal token of shame, another 2000 miles. This friendly advice, as expected, sends Bob off the deep end and the chair half way down the mountain.

For the rest of the trip my first task at camp is to find a suitable place for Bob to sit. Again, ulterior motives.
  20. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent! :lurk Keep it coming!