Daytona Boot Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Kikemon, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Kikemon

Kikemon Buffoon Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am looking to replace my well-worn Sidi Strada boots with a pair of Daytona boots. I am thinking of getting either the Road Star Gore-Tex or Spirit XCR Gore-Tex. I would use them for year-round mostly rainy/cool commuting in Portland, Oregon. I know Daytonas have a great reputation (at least for their high-end stuff), but I know nothing about their lower end boots like these. Can anyone enlighten me on these? Also, if I go with the XCR I will probably buy from FC-Moto and if I go with the Road Stars I'll probably use Helimot. Thanks in advance - any experience/advice is appreciated!
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Several years ago I bought Roadstar GTX from helimot and since then I bought EVO Sport GTX and Trans Open GTX from fc-moto. The quality is fantastic all of these boots. Maybe just because of the way it is designed but when I opened the box to the EVO's I think it may have been the only time I've ever literally said "wow" when I've opened the box to something I've bought. The Roadstar GTX boot is very well made and a great commuting boot because of how fast it goes on/off. I will say though that except for the EVO and Security Daytona boots, Daytona boots do not offer maximum ankle protection. They are sturdy though.
  3. Kikemon

Kikemon Buffoon Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Swimmer. I looked at the EVO sports GTX but it looked like putting them on and off was going to be a bit of an ordeal - too much for commuting anyway. I do like the idea of more ankle protection though. My ankles are the best joints I've got going at the moment!
  4. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair of Daytona Security Evo street boots a few years ago with the intent of never having to buy another pair of street boots for the rest of my life. The idea was that their outer skins and soles can be replaced as needed decades down the road (they are also reputed to be some of the best quality boots that money can buy). Two and a half years later, I have no doubt whatsoever that my vision of these outliving me is true - these are the best boots I have ever owned in my life. They were comfortable from day one and have not let me down in any situation. They aren't exactly the boot you were inquiring about but I hope that my experience with Daytonas helps you decide what to do.
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The inner boot portion has three velcro straps and if you position them correctly you can make it so you are able to slide your foot in/out with only having to do the outer, main zipper and you still have the benefit of the hard outer shell. My boots go on/off a lot. If I was using the EVO at the track or was going to be in them all day I would take the time to tighten up the velcro straps for maximum support but even in this semi-loose state I worn them in they are still offering a lot of protection.. I've got pretty thin ankles and size 42 feet so for larger feet or people with cankles my slip on adjust may not work.
  6. totomoto

totomoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got the Road Star at Helimot and could not be happier with them. Used them for 2000 miles up to Oregon in lot of rain and I never had wet or cold feet and felt comfortable in them all day. Much sturdier and better soles, leather, and zippers than my old Oxtar Sunray boots.Of course it would be best if you could try them on because they tend to be wider and you may need a size smaller. I went with my regular size and put insoles in them and now they fit perfectly.
  7. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 2 pairs of the Daytona Big Travel . Superb boots, after a year I bought a second pair, Daytona has been affected by the world economy and production seems to have slowed down. My last pair took almost a year to arrive at Helimot.

They can have new soles installed which is a nice features
  8. brewer90

brewer90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Spirit XCR Goretex took 4 months to arrive after I ordered them from Helimot earlier this year. The boots are amazing. I can't see myself wearing any other brand.
  9. GS-A-Day

GS-A-Day Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the Spirit XCR as well. They even work in the Texas summer heat, due to the perforated leather and the XCR Gore Tex. They are still warm enough in cooler weather as well.
  10. brewer90

Oddometer:

Sshhh! You are ruining my excuse to get a pair of Road Stars for the "winter" months. :lol3
  11. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    does anyone have any comments on these boots stretching at all?

I am normally 11-11.5 in US shoes and tried on these in 45 and 46. The 45s fit good but were snug across the instep (the top of foot, where it connects to the ankle) and my foot was in pain after wearing for 20 min...

Yet the 46 is a bit big, I put some thicker insoles in and that helped but its still feels a bit loose. any ideas if i am better off with a 45 or 46?
  12. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:
    No stretch on my EVOs after years of use.

Bought one, bike fell on it with my ankle inside and no ill effects, bought a second pair!

Another diesel induced spill in Morocco with weight of bike on left shoe, minor pains and that was it. The outer shoe on the older pair needs changing. Lost the plastic on the gear change area.
  13. EvilGilligan

EvilGilligan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had my Road Start GTX Wide boots since september, commuting daily to Seattle, 20 miles on all road styles in all weather. Love them. Well worth the $. Bought them from Helimot, loved the service so much that I am having him make me some custom gloves. I strongly endorse them and will be looking for another pair of summer boots later in the season.
  14. sacto929

sacto929 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have somewhere between 50,000 and 60,000 miles on a pair of RoadStar GTX. I had to buy them a size small to fit my narrow feet correctly (43 when I'd normally do a 44...I'm glad I could try them on at Helimot). I wouldn't say that they've stretched, but rather broken in.

I still love them, but they're getting to the end of the road. The soles are torn up from the IMS pegs I had on my XR650R and the shifter pad has finally split. I'm starting to look around for options.... I agree with the other posters that the ankle protection is not on par with my EVO Security boots, but then I bought the EVOs for crash protection on the track, and the RoadStars for general riding.
  15. sailnbike

sailnbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I am trying to decide between Roadstars and Spirit. Since I live in the Southeast I am inclined towards the ventilated Spirits with XCR Goretex. One concern is that they may be too cold in the rain, say at 50 degrees or so. Any help?
  16. Daemon Angel

Daemon Angel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A ventilated goretex boot?
    It will always vent on the goretex membrane and I can't imagine these being big holes. So you won't really notice this. Will just allow the moisture to evaporate a bit.
    My Dainese Torque (wanted daytona but the absence of axial support in their affordable ones was a no go) have gore-tex and small holes for "ventilation". Don't notice it :p. Not hot though last weekend. Not cold either. But then again, unless it is really cold or insanely warm my feet don't notice it if my body is regulated.

Really wanted to find a way for the high end daytonas to suit me but now I have 2 pairs of dainese boots for less the price and this means a ventilated track boot (course out) and a gore tex tour boot (torque)
  17. riceaterslc

riceaterslc Urinal Cake Engineer

Oddometer:
    I lived in Savannah, GA for about 4 years and wore the regular Spirits year round. There were times in the summer they got a little toasty, but they were well worth it for the daily afternoon downpours in coastal GA.
  18. brewer90

Oddometer:
    It's hard to believe I've had them for three years now. I basically wear them year round. The only time I haven't was a trip where the temps were in the 30s. As far as the too cold in the rain in the 50s part, I haven't ever noticed that but I'd wager you spend many more days riding in the heat than the cold rain so I say go Spirit XCR.
  19. sailnbike

sailnbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Looks like that is the way to go. I will probably order from fc moto as Helimot does not have stock and cannot say when he will. Does anyone know if there are customs issues in ordering from Germany ?
  20. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wise decision on the Daytona boots, you will love them. Ask FC Moto to ship by DHL. DHL will hand it over to the US Post office for delivery in the States. No customs fees. I have bought lots of gear from Germany, never paid customs fee except when it was shipped FedEx or UPS.