F800GSA Seat Swap, I need a Tall Seat! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by DustyDoug, Aug 22, 2014.

1. DustyDoug

DustyDoug DustyDoug

Oddometer:
    Just broke the bank and bought an F800GSA. The ride home was only about 40 min when I realized the seat on this bike is totally wrong for me, I think it's a low seat? I need a tall seat!!! Does anybody want to swap seats, I'm looking for something like the rally seat BMW offers, something without the deep pocket, something basically flat. My seat is brand new 60mi on the bike.
    There is no way I can spend an entire day in this seat as my man junk is smashed bad in the saddle!

Dusty
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  2. Stephenmarklay

Stephenmarklay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your bike is a GSA not a GS then your seat is not a low seat. You will likely need to go custom.
  3. DustyDoug

DustyDoug DustyDoug

Oddometer:
    Sorry I'm new with the 800GS, I'm seeing older GS8's with a flat seat will this fit my 800GSA? I think this would be an improvement? I have long arms & legs at least I would be able to move around and slide back.
    What's the word guys?

Attached Files:

4. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From what I have heard, the GSA seat fits the standard trim GS, but not the other way around - the seat pan has the same part#, but the GSA seat has more lateral padding. Not too many people complaint about the stock GSA seat, have you played around the rear preload to get the seat as tall as you want? And did you test ride one before buying, with a seat that you had liked better?
  5. GPHusky250

GPHusky250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's easy to tell the stock 2014 GSA seat...it will have a color insert. The low GSA seat is all black. Which one do you have?
  6. DustyDoug

DustyDoug DustyDoug

Oddometer:
    Mine is all black and it even says low with a price on the underside.

I'm sure they changed it out as someone did test ride my bike.

I really hope my dealer mcc has the original seat or will work with me on this!

I wanna ride Sunday!

Dusty
  7. GPHusky250

GPHusky250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock seat is comfortable. One of these days I'm going to throw a stock seat on and see what it feels like.
  8. hitmanh

hitmanh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope they do, the stock GSA seat is actually pretty good (much nicer than the stock GS seat and much better than the seat on my 850r/K100).
  9. ramon

ramon weezin' the juice!

Oddometer:
    I purchased the low seat when the bike was pretty new, so I have the standard height, with red inserts. PM me if you are interested. I won't charge too much, as shipping will be a beast, as it's in a large box :eek1
  10. thebun_88

thebun_88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Stephenmarklay

Oddometer:
    Post a picture.
  12. tomman

tomman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DustyDoug,

Which color did you get and do you care if it matches your bike?
  13. Stephenmarklay

Oddometer:
    The low F800GS seat does not fit the GSA. Do you have a GSA or GS?
  14. mackdaddy

mackdaddy Finding my way Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2014 F800GSA with the standard seat and I would like to place a low seat on my bike. Would a low seat from any 2014 F800GS work on my bike? Thanks for any help.
  15. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As the guy above you said, F800GS seats do not fit an F800GSA.
  16. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Crap. I can never catch a break. Thanks for the great info.
  17. bimbim86

bimbim86 Some Guy

Oddometer:
    The dealer should work with you on this on I believe the low seat was a option. I know on my GSA I had the option of either the standard seat or low seat at no extra cost; along with my choice of tires. I actually took the seat off another GSA on the floor for my bike. Dealer didnt care one bit. Worst case for OP sell the low seat on ebay for a couple hundred bucks and fork over the rest and get a nice aftermarket. I myself have been eyeing the tour a tech, whether it is worth it or not, well that is an entirely different question.
  18. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Now that I think back when I got my bike the dealer never even asked me is I wanted to go to a low seat option for the bike. Its too late now to go back as ask for the low seat.

I did come up with another option. I googled "motorcycle seat upholstery" in my area and found a shop that does good work that said it was no problem to take off about an inch off the seat. I dropped the seat off today and should have it back by Wednesday. I didn't take any before pictures of the seat but I will be happy to post after pics on the site. I believe my cost for the modification was about $50. This might prove to be the best way to lower the seat and retain the stock pattern for the seat cover that came with the bike.
  19. bimbim86

bimbim86 Some Guy

Oddometer:
    Im interested to know what that does to ride quality. Essentially they shave off foam and then re-cover it? You would think that would have some effect on quality of the ride. I know guys who have done it themselves to their dirt bikes. But with something like that you are not spending hundreds of miles on it a day.
  20. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    I will let you know how it goes. I use a beadrider cover on my seat so I think shaving off an inch should not kill be that much in comfort......... I hope :-)