09 vs 10 - Help!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by duraace9sp, Mar 1, 2010.

1. duraace9sp

duraace9sp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi--

Of course I dont NEED a GS...it is a want! Cant pay cash either....but....BMW's financing makes it almost possible. The milliuon dollar question:

09 gs....about 2500 cheaper vs the 10 with the new heads......5hp isnt much...but the question of value/resale newest design vs a substantial 2500 savings for the 09?

Help!
  2. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    My 2008 has plenty of power and the only thing I would wish for is a doggone windscreen that works. I bought a new '08 in '09 and saved over 2k. BMW Financial also helped me out and made getting me on a great bike possible. I will not pretend to be an expert on the new heads, but with ANYTHING new, I like to avoid the first release and jump on the bandwagon no earlier than year 2. I don't consider the exhaust flapper to be a deal maker in any way, shape or form. In fact, for me that is just another "nice to have" that will break when Mr. Murphy deems fit... :D

HTH!
  3. GSMaiden

GSMaiden Me and my Big Bike

Oddometer:
    The question I would say is what can you afford?

If you can go for the 2010, then do, if that's a stretch I doubt it's worth it. Re-sale will much depend on how many miles you think you will do and how long you mean to keep it.

Couple of years from now the GS will probably get another overhaul and then the difference between the 09 and 10 model will not be that significant. But if you plan to sell again with a year or so, it may be a factor, although I don't think one of more than the 2500 you can safe now.
  4. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Heads already proven on HP2, so there are no worries there.

Peak HP is one thing, but I think where the new heads really shine is way more grunt, much earlier in the rev range + even more top end. 500 more RPM till redline on the 10. What the new heads really give you is not just more peak HP, but more power everywhere.

Valve adjsutments on the 10 will be more complicated, so there with probably be more cost or time depending if you spin the wrenches or not.

You need to decide if it is worth the $3K or so it will cost you once you finance it.

I would get the 10, but I am trying to wear out my 07 before the 1250 Adventure comes out.
  5. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin..Hot,Cold and everything in Between
    2500 buys a lot of vacation man...and a lot of farkles. A 900.00 Remus system will save you enough weight to make your 09 even up in HP/Weight to the 2010..get yourself some fog lights/crash bars and head out on a trip..you won't be disappointed :deal

Not sure how the valve adjustments are on the new OHC setup..but he old way is proven, easy and bulletproof:evil
  6. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    You should be able to get one cheaper than $2500 off. Side panniers and you still have $1500 farkle cash or gas money. I could not tell enough difference between the two to make me wamt to trade my 09 in even if it was a straight trade. But I like the red on the 09s.
  7. eljeffe

eljeffe R.I.P Jeff

Oddometer:
    get the 09 and use the cash to farklize it.
  8. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
  9. duraace9sp

duraace9sp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the replies.....i hadnt heard of farkles before....but i believe i can gleam the meaning....now i gotta find a so cal dealer who will deal and work a little......i will start looking and please add any additional input...

Thank you
  10. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Just buy it and ride it.

Fix the things that do not work for you.

Do not listen to these farkle queens, they have the cost of another motorcycle bolted onto theirs in the way of do-dads.

Putting an aftermarket exhaust on a R1200GS is a waste of time and $.

There are a bunch of people on here that need some sort of project in their life. Their poor motorcycle fills this void and becomes a rolling swiss army knife.
  11. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    I would go with 09 GSA loaded....:deal
  12. crea58

crea58 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got an 09 leftover. I thought about the 2010 but felt it was not worth the extra cash. As far as valve adjustments I like to do my own so easier is better. This is my first BMW and since I did not ride the 2010 I don't think I will notice the difference.
  13. Juvat

Juvat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 :thumb
  14. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazing wisdom

15. Airbornexts912

Airbornexts912 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get an 09....and who said a exhaust system is a waste of money???? Heck no, get rid of the cat with a new header and put a Remus system on it and it will rock a 10.....let me know when you need a full Remus system and I will set you up.
  16. blackmamba

blackmamba Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Let me put it this way.
    Do you want 7900 or Di2 ?

It's your choice and your money.
    Both shift.

cheers
    :1drink
  17. The Jinx

The Jinx I'm an angel... :p

Oddometer:
    Hi Duraace9sp

Campy 10s here :D

I'll go for 2010 as it DOHC equipped:thumb

Regards
    sbw
  18. RichinTampa

RichinTampa Sunshine/Hurricane Rider

Oddometer:
    I had the same choice and went with the '09. $3500 off list price made the decision easy for me.:D
  19. duraace9sp

duraace9sp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hhmmmmmmm.....now i am confused....whats the 7900 or Di2?.

Looks like the 09 deal i had hoped for has slipped away..... BMW dealer has backed off the pricing we were working towards, trying to "explain too me" that i could do a low payment lease with a balloon after 5-7 years for the balance so he doesnt need to discount and i can get a reasonable payment.....top that off with BMW's financing deal expires today.....looks more and more like i will wait for another oppurtunity next year....not good but probably smarter in this economy
  20. blackmamba

blackmamba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry dude

Your screen name suggests that you have some knowledge of Dura Ace shifters.
    7900 was the older , but newest mechanical shift, whereas Di2 represents the new generation electronic shift actuated mechanism at a higher price.

See what I meant?

cheers
    :1drink