Spectating the Dakar from Cordoba.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by peteFoulkes, Jan 13, 2013.

1. peteFoulkes

peteFoulkes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

I've managed to time my round the world trip on a DRz 400 to land in Cordoba in time for the arrival of the Dakar on the14th but I'm really struggling to get any info on spectating. I'm still in Buenos Aires at the moment and everyone I speak to hear has no info whatsoever.

Does anyone know how far out of Cordoba the event actually is and where it is I need to get to see the bikes? Any info will be massively appreciated.

Pete.
  2. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I was in San Rafael for last year's Dakar and my experience is you will need to gather local intel. I can't recall if the race has gone through Cordoba before, if it has, the locals will have a good idea how/where it will go down. The logistics will usually be the same but not always.

I was staying with friends in San Rafael so I had an easier time, if you don't have friends/family in the area I'd get there well in advance of the race coming through b/c lodging tends to be hard to come by (and more expensive) the closer to race day you get.

Good luck.
  3. New_Folder

New_Folder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Pete, my girlfriend and I have just met the race in Tucuman. We don't really know more than you at this stage but would be happy to share anything we do learn with you and coordinate our efforts. Suzie can speak reasonable. Spanish which is handy.

Some locals in a couple of places have told us competitors will start tomorrow on route 38 and support follow route 9. That doesn't match the map now released on the Dakar website - looks more like route 157. Riding through Frias yesterday, we found a pamphlet in a petrol station advertising the town as a spectator spot. Based on the official sketchy map it looks like they miiiight start the special around San Pedro. We were also told by a local in Recreo that it was going through there. They are on 157. I think we'll follow them out in the morning if we can and see where they go.

All the best, might run into you somewhere. Sorry for any typos, my phone is playing silly buggers.
    Cheerio
    Pete
  4. rickmdz

rickmdz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to a local Cordoba newspaper the spectator locations are 6: San Francisco del Chañar (hora 9.40) and Caminiaga (10.35) only trucks .
    Churqui Cañada (13.20), Los Pozos (14.00), Villa Albertina (14.30) y Cañada de Río Pinto (14.35) for bikes, quads and cars.
    Get to those areas and then follow the crowds...:clap. Google maps is your friend.
  5. rickmdz

rickmdz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. rickmdz

rickmdz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. peteFoulkes

Oddometer:
    Hi guys.

Where are you up to now?
  8. peteFoulkes

Oddometer:
    Superb, cheers guys. I've made it to La Falda. Getting closer. Fingers crossed.
  9. New_Folder

New_Folder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We missed it yesterday after unexpectedly spending the precious evening in the Tucuman bivouac, we left late andmiased it yesterday. Just got into Chamical and heading South on route 38 to see if we can catch at least the end of the special. Would have taken a different route based on the map released last night but only found the internet this morning. I'll see if I can make something saying ADV to stick on the back of the bike. Good stuff, good luck catching some of the action!
  10. peteFoulkes

Oddometer:
    Just had an amazing day watching it from La Flada. The police blocked the road 8km from the spectator area though so after walking that we were pretty late and missed the front running bikes which was a shame. Those trucks are something else! i'll get some pics up soon!
  11. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Be sure to post pics of the "scenery" in Cordoba. :freaky