replacing orginal rear luggage plate... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by what car??, Nov 26, 2012.

1. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    I have hard panniers on my '10 990 using the Touratech mounting system. I am looking into replacing the OEM luggage plate with a larger one to have a bag sit farther back while 2 up. I have checked out the specs on the Black Dog plate as well as the two offered from Touratech. Who is using what and why? Also photos with your bags/boxes loaded would be nice also. Going to be riding 2 up back from Guatemala and want to be more comfortable with her on the back and extra pack(s) back there. Thanks for the replies...

Yes, thanks for the suggestions already!!

Another question though; is there any advantage of using a rack that has a lip on the back of the rack? Thanks for the info....
  2. Rockwell

Rockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend the Rugged Roads rack. It's really big and good for mounting bags on. If you go with this one, make sure you order from Rugged Roads UK.

You can see pics on my website using the links in my signature.
  3. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    I use the TT plate as an every day plate. It's too small for long trips/wide loads. I made my own flat plate from laser cut AL. I re-made another plate from laser cut stainless after running a batch for Guzzi NTX's. I really like the stainless plate now, but have not used it yet.

AL one I made for the 990 before I powder coated it:
    [​IMG]

One I made for the Guzzi NTX:
    [​IMG]
  4. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Cj Designs ($105) and ZipTy Racing ($125)
    ZipTy goes a bit different and looks cool, as well as being quite large.
    On my phone, now, so PIA to do pics, but it fits very well with my Jesse Panniers
  5. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I've got the large Black Dog rack on my ADV. It's thick, nicely finished, offers lots of loading / tie down options and is pre-drilled to work with Rotopax containers. Perfect rack IMHO.
  6. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the information, it is greatly appreciated.
  8. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    I personally don't think there's much reason to put a lip on the back. It will limit what you can put on the rack in terms of a top box if you ever want to. Rox Straps will hold anything on.

I think having as much versatility as possible is good...fuel packs, top box options, soft bags and not too big that it gets in the way and no sharp edges of course! :deal

Dave
  9. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    "'I personally don't think there's much reason to put a lip on the back. It will limit what you can put on the rack in terms of a top box if you ever want to. Rox Straps will hold anything on.'"

I was kind of thinking that way, but wanted an opinion that may have used one with a lip on it.

Many thanks for the information and cheers!:freaky
  11. Tomah

Tomah In transit ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    CJ's rear rack is great - love it! :clap:clap:clap
  12. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    My buddy bought an aftermarket plate with a lip and quickly retired it for the BDCW plate. And + 1 on Rox straps - they're awesome.
  13. Dru

Dru Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on Zen Overland. Mine's out to be anodized. Beautiful workmanship.
  14. Kenbike

Kenbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a CJ rack and the slots on the edge are to narrow for the plastic straps of most luggage to slide thru. The rack is very good otherwise
  15. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken, I'm interested to hear and see your issues? What year did you get your rack?

We have updated the design during the 2012 season to open up those slots.

[​IMG]

We use butterfly clips on flat straps to offer fast and easy release of the bags w/o un threading any straps. These drop through and pull tight, to take the entire bag and straps off- Loosen, flip 90 degrees and pull through the slot. Very fast, simple, and strong.

[​IMG]

For ROX straps we thread the closed loop through the slots and back inside the loop to pull tight. Do that to both ends and you have a secure tie down point using ROX straps.

Please feel free to email me any pics, issues with your luggage loading, or thoughts on improvements. I'm more than willing to listen. These have been going strong now for over 7yrs and 150,000 miles on our bikes.
  16. airarrazaval

airarrazaval n00b

Oddometer:
  17. Kenbike

Kenbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    CJ I will get my bag out and take a few photos of my set up for your suggestions in the next few days.
    Thanks Ken
  18. stickysidedown

stickysidedown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zen overlands rock is the business, I had the first one sent out and out it through it's paces on a run out to Mongolia and back, stood up to all the abuse I threw at it and was used to lift the back of the bike etc.

The purpose of putting a crease in a flat sheet is to increase it's resistance to bending, however it looks a bit rubbish and gives something for a bag to rub against that won't do in my book.

The Zen Design BDCW (and CJ designs, but that lc8 logo is a bit garish for me) are 6mm thick, some of the others are not so thick
  19. KTMforget

KTMforget Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the props guys - we greatly appreciate the support.

We have also increased the size of the perimeter holes to accommodate larger strap systems, including cam buckle straps as used on the Giant Loop bags. In addition, the rear rack is designed to accommodate our winch carrying plate provide additional versatility. We have shifted the winch towards the rear of the plate to allow for room for a soft bag towards the front of the rack.

[​IMG]

Please let me know if you have any other questions

Oh yeah, ours are made in the U.S.A. as well!

Thanks again for your support
    Kurt
  20. bykpimp

bykpimp Live and let ride

Oddometer:
    I've owned both CJ's and Black Dogs racks. They're both great looking and work as advertised. I wish Black Dog still offered the ole " Large ' version of his rack. The one that ran about 4" along the side of the pillion area. Hurt like hell when you cracked your knee on it whilst swinging a leg over, but the tradeoff was you could stack a ton o shite on it. Thing was the greatest impromptu kitchen table ever!!!