DIY: Steel Mesh Brake Lines

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by TrailOut, Jul 1, 2013.

1. TrailOut

TrailOut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have any idea how much these things cost in my country to begin with?

I'll have to assume you're just trying to be funny.
    Yeah, I use both sides of the toilet paper :D
    During the winter I'll even ride with my tank cap opened so I can collect some of the rain! I can make 1 gallon of fuel last for 150miles this way! Its brilliant! :lol3

@rbjenterprises - Have you tried ebay? I actually bought my sets on a local store, but I've seen them on the ebay as well.
    Send me a PM if you're having trouble, maybe I can help.
  2. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:

i even use both sides of a condom, sex is only safe for me.

BTW ive been to florida, i wonder if your kid looks like me:evil
  3. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have made brakes lines for airplanes, not difficult, since some planes are so old, oem lines are out of the question
    Our lines are all pressure tested, doubt if DIY guys have that equipment
    Yes racers make their own, you can bet thought its all been pressure tested and certified
  4. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:

No need to turn it inside out. Just shake the fuck out of it...
  5. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Certified by whom?

Pressure tested? Negligent? Asking for an accident? Imminent death?

:poser

If these were so dangerous, and people were having accidents due to failure of these components, do you really think they would sell them in the most litigious of societies known to man?

As for non-DOT compliant, the DOT rules really only apply to manufacturers selling new vehicles. There are NO laws stating you cannot run these on your bike in this country, or once again, they simply would not sell them, or market them "For Race Use ONLY". I have seen no such disclaimers. Feel free to prove me wrong, and I'll retract my statement.

When it comes to the TUV, well, that's a whole 'nother ball game, isn't it? I imagine an inmate living under their auspices will be along to correct me shortly, but aren't they the people who won't let you build anything for yourself, regardless of your qualifications?

Once again, I've been using these components to build lines for motorcycles for 20 years. I've never had a single failure. Not one. Nada. No leaks, no catastrophic explosions, zip. Many customers are still riding bikes I built for them 20 years ago. With these brake lines on them. Still.

My official training regarding the installation was simple. A curmudgeonly old fucker showed me how, in his garage. On his race car (a Formula Ford). Pretty simple.

Lighten up people, and realize that it's not rocket science. It's a simple hydraulic system. Your fucking brake pistons, which see pressures of upwards of 2000 psi, are sealed with an o-ring, and most of you who decry these brake lines would not hesitate to rebuild a caliper. What's the difference?
  6. TrailOut

TrailOut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is probably the worst thing about being in Europe. Everything happens inside this little controlled box of socially accepted standards they came up with =/

I can relate.

And believe it or mot, most mechanics didn't come from the planet Mechanika through an inter-dimensional vortex, they are normal people who learned to fiddle with bikes/cars and decided they should be paid for that service :D
  7. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Yeah , sure , that's how it starts , but a lot of people never get any better than fiddling , professional or not. I know home mechanics , including myself , that are better than most mechanics at the larger dealers.
  8. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    FL must not have state mechanic's certification exams and licensed shops, then.
  9. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    You don't have to know what you're doing to pass an exam.:deal You're probably a perfect example.:lol3
  10. ttpete

Oddometer:
    And you do what for a living?
  11. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I get the feeling that you think you're the only person in the world that knows their ass from their elbow.:deal
  12. ttpete

Oddometer:
    Nah, there's plenty of us who do. I have my doubts about you, though.:lol3
  13. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Yeah , I keep wiping , picking and sitting on my elbow. :lol3
  14. TrailOut

TrailOut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the internet. I'll be your guide!
    :dllama

Can't we all just talk about motorcycles and travelling? :kumbaya
    I've seen people getting along better in religion Vs atheism youtube comments than here...:D

On a more technical and useful note:
    Steel mesh lines (buy the DOT/TUB approved if you prefer) are a very very good thing to have on your bike (most already do nowadays).
    First time I raced my old XTZ 660 Ténéré (1995 model) in "Baja 500" (Portugal) I ran out of brakes (due to braking fluid over-heating) after the first 50min. I promised to myself I'd never let that happen again :D
  15. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:

may i inquire as to what that has to do with anything? other than the fact that a "professional" may be privy to some specific specs or training i have seen on many occasion a non professional show much more competence and attention to detail. if only because they are not being pressured to hurry the f up and get on to the next job.

i'm not saying me or joe could do a heart transplant, but we wouldnt leave a sponge in ya:D

and joe,, give my kid a kiss goodnight for me will ya:lol3
  16. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey , 2POTS , what'd I do to you?:lol3
  17. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Indeed.

And here it goes.
  18. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    Well thanks for the simple vid on DIY brake line project. Now I prob will never do this but off chance I blow a line for some reason in butt fawk nowhere near a Dealer I might do this.
    As for the rest of the banter wow serious drama. it is a simple how to not have to video. People drive cars with pinched break lines cuz they are to cheap to fix it or can't. I do believe breaks are there for a reason :deal but what scares me is not the breaks but the person operating them (or lack off):rofl:rofl
    Thanks for the video:clap