Guatemala to Alaska and Back

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GuateRider, Feb 17, 2012.

1. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    In real it looks even better :D

I guess it depends on how comfortable you are on narrow dirtroads with cliffs on one side and how your pasenger reacts; but yes, it is doable with 2 up . There are only 2-3 critical spots : Because of the ongoing roadwork they made some detours.
    Now during or after the raining season it might get tougher .
    But if you want to do it on dirt , you better hurry,they are working hard on the new pavement
  2. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two days ago I went for a ride out of Creel ; first I went to a smaller Divisadero with a great view

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there I went to see the famous Piedra de Pitorreal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Located next to the railways of the Chihuahua Pacifico

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I went on to El Valle de las Ranas y Hongos (Valley of the frogs and mushrooms) , called so because the strange rocks that are all over the place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Then I went on to the Valle de los Monjes (valley of the monks), also called so because of its strange rockformations

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there I found a trail going through the woods and finally coming out on the backside of Lago Arareko

[​IMG]
  3. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am surprised nobody has put a Pena Nieto poster on the Piedra Pitorreal. LOL!
  4. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's bad enough that people spray painted it already , some locals worship it as a fertility symbol
  5. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be an interesting ceremony.
  6. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    So yesterday morning after 6 nights in the Copper Canyon area , it was time to leave . The bike was ready

[​IMG]

And we had to leave this hotel where we could afford to stay , thanks to a real good deal that we got from the manager

[​IMG]

This was the last picture taken by Luisa, before her camera died . The lens just doesn’t return to its original position anymore :cry:cry:cry:cry

[​IMG]

We then took a 200km detour on our way to Cd. Madera , in order to see the Cascada Basaseachi, Mexicos second highest waterfall . The ride there was great , a newly paved mountainroad with lots of turns . But when we got there, once again : A great waterfall without water :baldy:baldy:baldy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now we are only one more stop , Nueva Cass Grandes, away from crossing into the US.
  7. klous-1

klous-1 Man on a bike

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Is that them gay glasses I know and love?

Glad you made it to Batopilas! I hope Copper Canyon was as good as I might have said to you, as I recal it was great! Hope you are having a good time...seems so!

Do your feet smell anywhere near as bad as mine yet?:evil
  8. alison's wanderland

alison's wanderland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great photos, great story, great trip! Looking forward to following along ...
  9. Supergringo

Supergringo Hablar, bla bla bla.

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. I really like the places you have been visiting in Mexico. I wish I would have had more time to see some of them...

If you make it to Los Angeles and need a place to stay, let me know. I'm not too far from the beach, have a garage and a spare bedroom.

Also, if you need any ideas of things to see in California, please let me know!

Suarte!
  10. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one and only !

Hell no, I wash my socks and take a shower once a month
  11. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thx , Good to know that you like the RR
  12. timbercat

timbercat Texas Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Hope to see you guys on the road to Alaska in June.

Timbercat
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  13. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your offer! We will come to California on our way back and I will definitely get in touch with you.
  14. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to have you along
  15. istephens

istephens FJR Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hi GuateRider,

I just found this thread and while your RR is excellent in and of itself, just the pictures alone from Real and Copper Canyon have inspired me to look at Mexico completely different than I had been before.

My wife and I are planning to go from Calgary to TFD sometime in the next few years, and we were looking at Mexico as simply a place to get through before C. And S. America.

Back in late October 2011, we were in Puerto Vallarta for our nieces wedding and was not too impressed with PV. Took a guided ride on rented scooters south into the mountains (El Tuito, I think) and enjoyed that day the best of the week we were there.

Now my viewpoint has changed. I can easily see making a major trip out of just Mexico! Thanks GR!

Oh and I've tagged along for the rest of the ride report.

Ian
  16. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tonight is our last night in Mexico....
    Everybody who has been reading my RR must know by now how much I love,admire,respect and enjoy this country.
    There might be one thing that I have not mentioned enough : all the new friends I made,all the help I received these last 3 month, people who invited me to their home, bought me lunch,hotel owners who gave us huge discounts, people who gave us great advises . I don't want to mention all of them because I'm afraid to forget someone.
    Muchisimas gracias to all of you !! Without you guys this journey so far would not have been the same!! :clap:clap:clap
  17. fastlane1

fastlane1 Catching up with my past

Oddometer:
    Great RR! When/IF you pass through Vancouver, BC I have a great workshop with some bikes to keep your bike company and a room for you! Keep on rolling :clap
  18. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Que te vaya bien, amigos! Ahora vas a ser en las manos del tio Sam.
  19. voyer

voyer Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the great report! The pictures and the journey make me jealous. One day!
    :clap
  20. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got off the bike in Bisbee, Arizona :clap