Small parts storage containers - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pilo, Apr 14, 2012.

1. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    I have a bunch of mis-matched plastic snap-shut containers but I need some new ones. I'm wondering if anyone has anything they can recommend or tell me to stay away from. Ones that stack together would be nice. I have a bunch of nuts/bolts and electrical parts that need a new home. I'm thinking of containers that are like this...

[​IMG]

Any recommendations?
  2. 2000RSV

2000RSV Go Fast, Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plano tackle box.

J
  3. FixerDave

FixerDave KLR650 - XR200R

Oddometer:
    My preference is for containers like you show but with individually removable, and relocatable, bins. It makes sorting way easier, you can take just the bin you want to where you need it, and you can actually dump the contents of a single bin without having to empty the whole thing. They cost more but... I have 16 now. They come in thick and thin models, the thin having many more but much smaller bins. I really like them.

I hacked together some racks to hold them... pictures are in the man castle thread.

David...
  4. Tech23

Tech23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because I have such a large inventory of parts and supply's accumulated from 30 years of turning wrenches. I have always plastic butter/sour cream/cream cheese containers, spice and seasoning containers, those clear 1 quart plastic containers that Chinese carry outs use for soup work great too. You would be surprised how many plastic containers pass thru your hands that are perfect out in the garage for storage. These type of containers can be easily stacked on a shelf. I just label the container with a piece of masking tape and a sharpie. They have nice label makers these days too. You can use old medicine vials for smaller parts. Sometimes when I'm in Harbor Freight and I see the assortment of plastic storage bins/boxes I get tempted to buy some....but to tell the truth it would just make things harder to find. For me it's easier to read a label than to look into a muti bin box to locate something. All the assorted nut's bolt's and washers I've accumulated would never fit into limited space of those multi bin boxes anyway. Most have these containers around the house and throw them away...I'd rather spend that money on tools or specialty fastener assortments. The shelving unit in the corner is filled with hardware stored this way.

Tech23

[​IMG]
  5. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    uhh the man castle thread is like 100 pages. :huh
  6. josjor

josjor Long timer

Oddometer:
    The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
  7. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fishing boxes are cheap, and the bin sizes are adjustable, so when you use a bunch of 12 gauge spade terminals, and seldom use the 18 gauge bullets, you can just adjust the box to fit.

Also fishing boxes let you remove sections to provide a tool, for instance, if you have a crimping tool, you put that in with the crimp on terminals.

If you have a bunch of 10-32 nuts and machine screws, you put the tap and die in with those tools.

Then the best way to store is to build some shelves that are the depth of your boxes, with slots sot that you don't have to remove mulitple boxes to get the one you want.
  8. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Over the years I'vecollected so many different types of containers. I have a new pile of electrical stuff I need to organize and for some reason I got the urge to try to get some standardization going.

OaklandStrom...those mcmaster ones look pretty nice. They don't seem too expensive really.
  11. Slimie

Slimie Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are great, they also do one twice the depth with removable dividers (here in the UK).

One word of advice, always ALWAYS make sure the catches are locked. A box full of screws takes ages to pick up and another age to sort out! Everyone on site will blame you for every single puncture for at least a year.

-Simon
  12. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine are the heavy duty ones, so it ends up being about $250 for 4 drawers and a cabinet, and I have 4 cabinets. I got them used for $250, rather than the $1,000 retail.

I like that I have them organized by application, so I can grab a drawer, latch it and take it with me. If I go help a friend hand a shelf, I can just grab the "wall anchors" drawer and throw it in the truck.

There's a drawer for 1/4-so stainless fasteners.
    Hoseclamps & hardware.
    Small metric fasteners,
    etc...

I love 'em. But at $250 for 4 drawers, I don't think I would have spent full retail.
  13. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    I got a couple of sets like this but in plastic & cheap, Stanley brand maybe? Can be stacked, fixed to the wall etc. They were a similar cost to buying 4 of the same size plastic tackle box type trays that are the drawers. They have been really useful & I think I might get another couple for my expanding collection of fasteners & widgets.

Cheers
    Clint
  14. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    The voice of experience! Me too!:lol3

I had originated a thread about cleaning, sorting and storing a wide array of nuts & bolts:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555600

I used these Cabelas Utility Boxes (like tackle trays) made by Plano:
    http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...er%3BSearch-All+Products&WTz_l=YMAL;IK-016832

[​IMG]

I used these wall mounted organizers to keep THEM organized:
    http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...s&WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-016832&WTz_l=YMAL;IK-129756

[​IMG]

It's worked out pretty well - you can remove dividers for longer items, but progress has been (predictably)sloooow...:lol3
  15. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

Successfully keeping track of all my little stuff since my brother gave me one for Christmas back in 1978. Finally cracked the plastic cover last year but it is still going strong. But the writing is on the wall so I am moving to those new tackle trays.
  16. muddywater

muddywater Untermenschen

Oddometer:
    +2 I used them daily for finish carpentry and cabinet work. Along with the tackle boxes they have a lot of other individual containers. Great interchangeability and hold up well.
  17. muddywater

muddywater Untermenschen

Oddometer:
    Those clear Rubbermaid or Sterelite containers about the size of a shoe box (severral sizes to chose from, for about 1-3 dollars each). Get a bunch the same size and build some shelves sized to fit them. By using the same size, they all stack tight and neat. I have a set up with 36 containers (4 high and 9 wide) I have been using for 15-20 years. Holds a buch of stuff.
  18. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    I realize this is many moons later. But I wanted to document the solution I created using Stanley Storage Containers. Each one slides out by itself and the double deep ones just take out two slots. I built this using cut 2x4's and some scrap masonite. It works surprisingly well. I decided on the Stanley boxes after testing out many of the other brands. They aren't perfect, but work well for my needs. I have a huge pile of mish-mash containers my kids are using now for Lego's/etc.

Attached Files:

19. Spacelord

Spacelord Mutha Mutha

Oddometer:
    I just screw the lids of jars to the bottom of a wooden shelf
  20. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states