Riding Alaska in March Apri 2013

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by partireper.it, Oct 31, 2012.

1. partireper.it

partireper.it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see, well I might find someone in Canada for the tyre then. What I don't really get is if roads are literally closed in March April or if they are open but not completely cleared from snow and ice. Cause the first scenario would keep me from even trying while the second scenario wouldn't.
    Please let me know.
    Thanks
  2. partireper.it

Oddometer:
    That is a HELL OF A INVITATION Alan, I am interested!
    Wouldn't you have pics of previous edition for me to understand what it was to be doing that in April? And also which is the furthest point you guys reach north and what is the most challanging one due to the current conditions?
    Thanks a lot.
  3. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  4. partireper.it

Oddometer:
    Mike, all your advices help me thinking well about all this winter alaska idea of mine but I also need to put into consideration that people went there on a bike in february and march, like Rolland and few others.
    I won't push myself too far is it's not possible but I will give it a try.
    That is why I would like to ask if you, from WHITEHORSE to TOK which route would you suggest to find the better condition in march april? The one that goes across Dawson City ot the one across Beaver Creek?
    Thanks a lot
  5. partireper.it

Oddometer:
    Yeah Kuddy, Sjaak videos about Alaska in February helped me a lot into taking this trip in April into consideration. I am not sponsored and equipped like him that's why the knoledge of the area you guys are providing me will help me getting prepared to face the condition in the best way possible.
    Thanks
  6. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  7. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    you might make Dawson in April from the southern end but you won't cross the Taylor Highway unless you drag the bike in a sled with a snow machine... and that would be an adventure! not sure the border is even open that time of year.... it will be dead on winter still across Top of the World Highway.

EDIT.... as in it is closed.... not plowed.... giant snow drifts that only melt out 2 months later (barely)
  8. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    You do realize that the temperature these people are telling you are in Fahrenheit degrees, not Celsius? Zero degrees F = about minus 18 C.

No, the roads wouldn’t necessarily be ‘clear’.
  9. Sparticus

Sparticus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just finished a 3 year stint in Wainwright(3 on , 3 off).About the same lat. as Deadhorse. As far as weather goes, march is no different then january. Some winters we would have heavy equip. on the lagoon ice as late as may. Dress warm my friend :)
  10. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Here's the last couple days of my ride to Alaska this past spring.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18567842&postcount=200

If you dont want to read, Here's a photo of the Alcan in canada between Destruction Bay and beaver creek yukon on April 2, temps were well below freezing.
    [​IMG]

Be careful and you'll probably make it maybe. It'll be a good story anyway, hopefully written by you and not your next of kin. Me, I'd wait till late April at the earliest to come up to Alaska on two wheels.
  11. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    well the one over the top (Dawson City ) is closed that time of year so you have to come Beaver creek way its the only way in to Alaska and April would be alot nicer weather wise you see the upper Tanana valley that is the valley you run through coming into Alaska has some of the coldest recorded temps on the continent if I remember right snag creek just out side of Beaver creek is the record holder. Places like Fairbanks are warm compared to what you have to go through before you get there.
  12. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tee- here....
  13. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mean...tee- hee.......( damn auto correct and bad eyes.....Fack yes, I was to lazy to zoom in and see what I was writing)
  14. AKjack

AKjack Savvy?

Oddometer:
    You may need these

[​IMG]
  15. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    Hey! :ddog He doesn't need any encouragement. :nono

Guess you didn't get washed into Lake Ontario by Sandy. How ya doin', Lorie? :wave
  16. oclv454

oclv454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tok can be one of the coldest places in Alaska and it is a couple hundred miles south of Fairbanks. It was -35 (F) there this morning and it is not even Thanksgiving yet. There are some great places in the Western US to explore that might fit better with your March/April schedule. Good luck.
  17. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ran the Haul Road from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay in early June (June 9-10) and the road was fine then.

Any earlier and I'd be concerned about the LOW temperatures.

You can make it a GREAT RIDE or a TREACHEROUS one. Your choice.
    Some pictures from my 2012 ride can be found here:
    http://s635.beta.photobucket.com/user/RMWBMW/library/2012 Trip to Alaska
    http://s635.beta.photobucket.com/user/RMWBMW/library/ONE WORLD Alaska 2012

BTW...if you make the ride...at a reasonable time...the MARION CREEK CAMPGROUND...5 miles North of Coldfoot is a good place to stay. Cheap...too. $8.

Ride safely.

Welcome to America.

Also...it was 82 degrees F when I left Fairbanks on June 9th.
    PS...When in Fairbanks or Anchorage...stay at the University of Alaska. $57 per night. Cheap. Great rooms.
  18. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah...like he said...come visit COLORADO until late May and then head north. That's what I did this year.

BTW...at -35 Degrees...I'll be FAST EDDIE's was pouring the coffee! Great place for breakfast, lunch, dinner...
  19. partireper.it

Oddometer:
    Hi guys and thanks for the info.
    I had a talk with Sjaak Lucassen who did the Alaska ride in February with his Yamaha R1. Although he was fully sponsored he said that with a good prep I could make it myself. He also said that the road to Fairbanks it's well mantained and selad while instead from Fairbanks to Pradhow Bay no asphald at all and very limited fuel. Woud you agree on this?
  20. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    The roads all the way from the 48 states, up through Canada, and to major Alaska cities are well-maintained and heavily traveled all year round. That doesn't mean that a heavy snowstorm won't stop you for a day or two while crews are getting it cleared off. But you can expect pretty easy conditions - other than cold temperatures - all through the year. In some places the roads are actually better during the winter, when packed snow fills in the potholes.

North of Fairbanks the highway is paved with asphalt all the way to the beginning of the Dalton Hwy/Haul Road. After that, it is about 1/3 paved, the rest is gravel. The time of year you are talking about, you probably won't notice the difference, although if it has started to warm up and melt, south-facing slopes may be thawing and muddy while north-facing slopes are still snow-covered and possibly slick. The farther north you go, however, the more snowpack and the smoother the road. Also, the colder it is, the better the traction. Once you get north of Coldfoot the road will probably be completely snow-covered, and the surface has little dimples in it from truck's tire chains running over it. That shouldn't affect your traction adversely.

You'll need gas enough to get you from the Fairbanks area (I always top off at Hilltop) to Coldfoot, a distance of about 250 miles. And from Coldfoot to the gas pumps in Deadhorse is another 250 miles. But you'd better have enough fuel for at least 100 miles more than that in case you have to turn around before you get to the next fuel source. Recommended minimum range when the weather is questionable is 320 miles.