Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley nOOb's Rally

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by johngil, Mar 31, 2013.

1. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    First ride with the ADV group. Thanks again everyone for the riding tips, it really improved my weekend. Here's a few random shots from the weekend.

Had to have one in front of the sign.

[​IMG]

Ariborndad proving you don't NEED a GoPro

[​IMG]

Ariborndad and Airbornson at the top of Titus

[​IMG]

Up on Aguereberry Point

[​IMG]

Not sure who the hobo was but he made it up to Minnietta.

[​IMG]

And the moon was awesome.

[​IMG]

No personal pics of me on my side (cough**cough**Ariborndad) but I'm sure Lost rider has a few.
  2. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Rjnutt had set up a "Noob ride" to Darwin and Olancha Dunes and back; so Marcia and I joined it. Marcia was really a Noob this year on two wheels. 14or15 noobs signed up for the ride but only 6 showed up. Apparently Jimmy Lewis was cracking the whip and wore those poor noobs out.

left Pomo (Pat) young guy with more energy and skill for all of us

middle Ladysdirtbomb (his screen name is worse than mine)

right Sandplow (Tony was thinking "I'll show these kids how the old school rolls)
    [​IMG]

Middle Rjnutt and endurobob on left (who can ride a bike)
    [​IMG]

Marcia and Sandplow on the road to Darwin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped at China Springs to feed the Gold Fish
    [​IMG]

Stopped at the Darwin Dance Hall
    [​IMG]

I cut a rug with the King himself
    [​IMG]

All the screaming fans rushed me wanting pics and autographs (thats sarcasm. You might see it now and again)
    [​IMG]

We sent post cards from the post office
    [​IMG]

Rjnutt got his rabies shot although i think its too little too late
    [​IMG]

The Shell Gas Pump was plumb dry so NO topping off in Darwin
    [​IMG]

So off we go towards Olancha Dunes
    [​IMG]

Rest stop and check the GPS route
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ladysdirtbimb giving directions right before going the wrong direction (he had never been there didn't have a map or gps but that didn't stop him from giving his top notch sense of direction)
    [​IMG]

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ceYqRgAKnlU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty cool ride with Joshua trees out side of Darwin towards the Dunes
    [​IMG]

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ErR8QIYGE94" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We made it to the Dunes Rjutt
    [​IMG]

Sandplow (really wishing he had Estart)
    [​IMG]

Endurobob ripping it up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glamour shot
    [​IMG]

Sandplow too tired to kick it so he took a break and watched
    [​IMG]

I followed rjnutt over the top of the dune and saw this (the bike is facing the opposite direction it started. We had been going down hill not up the hill)
    [​IMG]

You ok? There had been some soft stuff that made the bike indo. Just some cracked ribs
    [​IMG]

His helmet made me want a sugar doughnut
    [​IMG]

Sandplow finally got his bike kicked over and started plowing some sand
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took a break at Olancha gas station
    [​IMG]

The corral of stallions
    [​IMG]

After some refreshment we headed back the same direction
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

sun was going down and shadows starting getting long This was NO Noob ride at the speeds Bob and Pat set. I didnt get any pics of Pat in the sand dunes cause he was too fast!
    [​IMG]
  3. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    I have been to DV 4 times by now (3 DVNR and once in November) and after seeing all the pictures, I feel like I've never been there (or I've never been to anywhere yet).
    I say I've seen probably only 10 percent of it. I still didn't see China Spring, Kilns, Cerro Gordo, etc... The list goes on and on.
    I want to do this Noobs Rally weekend a whole week once and arrive a week before, ride at least 50% of DV. Hopefully next year.
  4. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    My DV Report is building HERE :deal
  5. rruugger

rruugger formally Sir Crashalot

Oddometer:
  6. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Against my better judgment (again) due to thursday's "Noob Ride" taking all my energy; Marcia, Rjnutt, Pomo, and myself decided to do Ballarat through Golar wash to the Geologist cabin to striped butte to west side road back around to Panamint. This turned out to be a LOOONG day. Motrin and Vicodin I ate like candy by the end of the day.

Ok lets go
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obligatory pics of Ballarat
    [​IMG]

This was Pats first time in DV so he hamed it up for the camera
    [​IMG]

I decided it might be a good time to check my oil (45 miles from camp and the quart of oil i left behind). What do you know, I was 3/4 of a quart low so Rocky who operated the Ballarat store found some oil for me! Thanks Rocky!
    [​IMG]

Note to self: Oil goes in the hole and should be checked on occasion.
    [​IMG]

Ok so my bike got some much needed oil. Off to Golar Wash! This is NWemerys going up Golar steps on a tricked out KTM450(thats cheating but who really cares. Still a nice bike)
    [​IMG]

Pomo (Pat) also on a super tanker KTM450 no issues (wait for it.....issues do arise in the group shortly)
    [​IMG]

4x4 going up the steps which were in really good graded/filled in shape
    [​IMG]

Ok so Marcia is a Noob on two wheels. She watched Pat go up so she wanted to go next. Que the carnage music....

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kORaxMqxpKY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_1-66yOoM0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I seem to remember a video identical to this only it was Joel and Davebro having the yard sale?

Ok Rjnutt makes it look easy
    <iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZWGcPcMkokk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Me (the bike sure sounds and runs better with oil)
    <iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jq8YHUHombU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m4b5bDqGjUM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some more of Golar canyon
    <iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gfhXxnX9bzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pomo (selling tickets for the gun show)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

NWemerys and his GS buddy (who i think bailed on our ride the day before. if so it was a wise move)
    [​IMG]

We got to a section that had an off camber switch back. Pat made it Marcia made it but Rjnutt.....where did he go?

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NbTW9h-gZBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pat waiting to catch him in action.
    [​IMG]

He cheated he is over there!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Que the video below
    [​IMG]

Turn the volume way up! You can here Robbie give some wisdom!

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wHctS91ywlU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Marcia picking her way through a small rock garden
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RuqMQAEjb7o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tfiWNMqBn88" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OVWr5zvMNDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No pics of Pomo in this section because that would mean you had to ride in front of him which isnt safe at those speeds. Here is a picture just before he remounted.
    [​IMG]

oops nope that was a wild jack ass we saw. Here is Pat! (Again i will warn you of random sarcasm don't get upset)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rjnutt ripping to the top of Mengal Pass
    [​IMG]

I missed an awesome out of control wheelie in this shot
    [​IMG]

Top of Mengal Pass
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top of Mengal looking into Butte Valley
    [​IMG]

Not too far down the road is another rocky section
    <iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hmCF7fbIAwA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

Our first sighting of Stripped Butte (almost worth the trip just to see that rock)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Onward to the Cabins
    [​IMG]
  7. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On Saturday, I was planning to just take it easy and do some road riding and maybe head out to Ballarat for some light dirt. Then Rotex & his girlfriend (Jim & Myra), whom I had been talking to on Friday night at the raffle and after at the fire, walked over and asked if I wanted to accompany them out to Titus Canyon. I wasn't so sure about it, but when Rotex said he and Myra were riding a GS Adventure two-up, I thought, why not... At least I'd have someone to help me pick the bike up if it took another nap...

We were getting ready to leave and Prince Ruben came by and was invited along. Here are some photos of our day...

Prince Ruben said Rhyolite was on his bucket list, so we headed there first... We stopped at the outdoor art gallery...

By the entrance, near the wagon chassis
    [​IMG]

The hottie totem...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rotex watching his step...
    [​IMG]

Taking a break at the last supper...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The faces and the sphere...
    [​IMG]

Carpet matching the drapes...
    [​IMG]

But I never noticed she was on her knees...
    [​IMG]

The prospector and the penguin...
    [​IMG]

The mosaic sofa...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ghost rider Rotex...
    [​IMG]

and Myra...
    [​IMG]

At the Titus Canyon entrance...
    [​IMG]

When ya gotta go, ya gotta go...
    [​IMG]

2 GSAs and a GS... Prince Ruben and Myra...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopping for a rest and refreshments in Titus Canyon... Titus Canyon is definitely nOOb and big bike friendly...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Myra on her perch... I cannot wait to see her photos of this ride...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My trusty steed...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trying to figure out why Prince Ruben's bike is so much dirtier than ours... oh, yeah, the silt nap... :lol3
    [​IMG]

Myra took some photos with my camera too...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dudes, contemplating life, the universe, and everything...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One last photo before heading out of the canyon for the campground...
    [​IMG]

I had a blast on this ride... I learned tons from following both Prince Ruben and Rotex, watching their lines, their speed, how they were riding in general... I am very glad I went on the ride with these people. Thanks for inviting me along...

Our route, as captured by my Spot Messenger...
    [​IMG]
  8. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Hi Tom...

[​IMG]
  9. pinocono

pinocono Fucking Pirate

Oddometer:
    Wow, Nut, great pics. I did Rhyolite, Titus, etc., last year, but we were kind of rushed. Looks like you all had a great time and a great ride. I've got to go back through there when I have more time to enjoy it.

Dave
  10. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we leave early enough, we could do Titus Canyon from the LA area and back in a day... I'm up for a day trip... u?
  11. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was my privilege to lead a ride this year thru Titus Canyon. I think everyone on this crew (might be wrong) was a first timer 'cept for me. We lined up at the PSR gas station with Jason (jasonfb), Dave (nwemerys), Danny (outlaws) and Matt (surferbum). We got into position and I got my front tire to the road and Jason's bike would not fire. A quick fiddle finding a crunchy connector got us going and we were off to Stovepipe for passes. At Stovepipe I discovered we noobs have a reputation of sorts. While standing in line for the bathroom, a lady noticed my attire and asked if I was part of the Rally at Panamint Springs. Of course I denied it at first, but she went on to say that her group had tried in vain to get a spot there due to our "activities". I had also met up with a group of riders up on Chloride Cliffs 2 years earlier, that said that had to move to Stovepipe because of the noobs. Go figure, we are famous (or infamous).
    Back on the road making good time to Beatty, we gas up for our run to Titus and again, the KLR won't fire. More fiddling finds a fuse that is in too many pieces. Quick trip to the hardware store and we are off to Titus with a quick stop in Rhyolite.
    [​IMG]
    Jason, the miner and the penguin.

Saw the ghost town, bottle house and the museum.
    Off to Titus we find the road to be in pretty good condition, a little washboard, but otherwise OK. The washboard un-mounted Danny's taillight on his DRZ but that was to be the worst thing that happened to the equipment on this run. Made it to Leadfield for a quick stop.

[​IMG]
    Danny. Rode his 400 to PSR from Irvine.

[​IMG]
    Dave on his trusty GS

[​IMG]
    Jason on his mostly trusty KLR.

[​IMG]
    Matt rockin' the other GS. Matt also swept. Thanks!

Onward to Titus. The summit(?) had a group of Jeepers there and they were nice enough to snap a pic of the crew.

[​IMG]
    The crew from near to far. Danny, Dave, Jeff, Jason and Matt.

And on to Titus. There really is no perfect way to shoot or describe Titus Canyon. A remarkable place that is worth the trip. At the outlet I looked back up the road and at the mountain we rode out of. You start to see the scale of this place and the rest of Death Valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rode out of Titus and collected at Scottys Castle Rd. Dave and Matt split off to return to PSR. And then there were three to see Ubehebe Crater.

[​IMG]
    Danny

[​IMG]
    Jason and me.

As we were leaving Nowwhat's group pulled up from there run to take in the sites.
    We were off to see Scotty's and make the run back to PSR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a bit of a break at Scotty's and got going to get dinner and catch a seat at the
    Saturday night festivities. 220 miles of great sights. Thanks to each one of the crew that rode with me. You guys made a good ride great.

Thanks again to Joel, everyone that volunteered, the donors, and PSR.
    It's nice to be a noob.
  12. jasonfb123

jasonfb123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR. I will have to post my KLR fuse rebuild and relocation project.
    Thanks to Jeff(JAB) Joel and all the volunteers. You guys make going from Noob to less-than-noob a wonderful and rewarding experience.
  13. slugdad

slugdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:

damn tom, damn anyway
    good to see you smiling
    happy convalescence
  14. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    That Boy gets around!
    [​IMG]

RIDE ON!
  15. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Nice pics & video, Cory.
    I didn't ride Goler/Mengel this year, so the videos made me feel as if I had.
    Congrats to Marcia for completing this loop as a noob.
  16. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    whaaaat..:eek1
    another elvis sighting...:lol3

hey cory aka enduroelvis...good job!

thanks folks for posting your RR and experiences. keep them coming.

6 wolfman fender bags (donated by larry - galactic gs) and dirt bagz @ $250 certificate waiting for lucky contributors to get picked. your RR and pics doesn't have to be top notch...just BRUNG it.

who rides a ktm and needing a case saver? i have a $20 gift certificate from trailjammer. anyone? here's the thread at the vendor forum.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839454

first to post up here (sorry no PM), it's yours.
  17. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was scheduled to lead a ride to the Saline Valley hot springs on friday. At the time I left home only one person had signed up, so I was wondering if this ride would even happen. At the rally I learned that two more had signed up, and then found a couple more interested folks around the campfires thursday night. Ultimately, only Cowgirl (Cindy) showed up at the appointed time friday morning. We waited several minutes past the scheduled departure time, and were just suiting up, when Macadamia (Andy) rolled up on a massive GSA with every farkle known to Touratech. OK, this could be interesting.

Three's company, so let's roll. Only ~70 miles out to the hot springs, so a ~20mph speed average should get us there and back well before dinner.

Chasing cats up Hwy190.
    [​IMG]

Made the turnoff at Saline Valley Road and Cindy was gone in a cloud of dust :ricky

Andy paused to make adjustments to the big GS before we gave chase at a slow, but steady pace.

Entering DVNP near Lee Flat.
    [​IMG]

Caught up with Cindy checking the view at South Pass, near the turnoff to Hunter Mtn.
    [​IMG]

Starting down into Saline Valley.
    [​IMG]

Cindy was quickly making tracks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a couple ugly section heading down the canyon. Loose rocks and washouts.
    [​IMG]

Andy had a couple panic moments, but managed to keep the beast upright until here :eek1
    [​IMG]

The landing looked hard, but another foot or two to the right would've been much worse. Andy was up on his feet by the time I was parked :clap

Luckily, a large group was passing by at that time and two Fine Fellows stopped to help. We got the beast upright and there didn't look to be any damage. Guess the farkles did their job :thumb

So now what? We had only gone about 30 miles in 2 hours, and half of that was highway. I knew there would be miles of sandy washboard ahead, and possibly more rock gardens and washouts in the canyon. And we would hafta do it all again on the way out. I know Andy wanted to see the springs, but at this rate we would probably need to turn back before getting there. After some thought, Andy made the difficult decision to turn back.

One of the FF's did a masterful job of riding the GS back up through the rocky sections. I stayed with Andy for a bit until he felt comfortable heading back on his own, then set off to chase down Cindy.

Looking down into Saline Valley as the canyon opens up.
    [​IMG]

Finally caught up with Cindy near Lippincott.
    [​IMG]

Cindy had just taken a Jimmy Lewis class the week before and was applying some new skills. I think she was standing almost the entire time.

"Stand on the bike like you are standing at a bar."
    [​IMG]
    JL says this might be a little too relaxed :lol3

The sandy-gravel washboard across the valley floor was nasty. Under 30mph you feel every bump, over 30mph it begins to smooth out.
    [​IMG]

Still standing... Do NOT get in a standing competition with this woman! :nod
    [​IMG]

Turn right and then a final push over to the springs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We arrived to find Espi still dispensing fuel to stragglers/sweepers from the big group.
    Cindy bummed a gallon or two as well, then we found some shade on the lawn to rest and relax.

Scenery was nice :evil
    I kept my sunglasses on and camera off :nono

Continued...

-M
  18. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Time to get moving and Cindy asked if there might be an easier way back... Something that allows a little less standing.
    Well, North Pass is easier, but that way will turn this ~140 mile day into a ~240 mile day.
    We should still make it back to camp by dinner / raffle time.
    OK, let's go!

Sweet adventure rig :tb
    [​IMG]

Heading back towards the main road at the foot of the Inyo Mtns.
    [​IMG]

The looooong straight climb towards North Pass.
    [​IMG]

Over the pass and finally some 'seat' time.
    [​IMG]

:clap
    [​IMG]

Death Valley Road towards the Sierras and Big Pine.
    [​IMG]

We rolled south on Hwy395 for just a short bit, then caught Tinemaha Road and the old highway through Aberdeen.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped in Independence for fuel and an ice cream break. Cindy's 250 runs a slightly slower pace on the highway than my 950, so I waved her on ahead while I made some calls home (no cell at PSR). Thought for sure I would catch up in short order, but an LEO going 65mph all the way to Lone Pine slowed my down a bit. Hit Hwy136 and dropped the hammer past Keeler and into the hills on Hwy190, but still no Cindy :dunno

Finally caught up just before Father Crowley Point :huh I think she was holding back earlier :bluduh
    [​IMG]

Long days always bring out my reliable riding buddy. I've started calling him Bob (RIP :cry)
    [​IMG]

Made it back to camp a few minutes shy of 7pm, just in time for dinner and then get settled in for the raffle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More later...

-M
    Cowgirl likes this.
  19. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Nice RR Matt. You're a good coach. :clap:clap
  20. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: