Woo hoo, finally get to post here!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by AviatorTroy, Jul 3, 2014.

1. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    My father got a new toy for us to play with, here she is straight from a blind bid at an estate auction...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chair has a California Sidecars sticker on it but I don't know much about it.

Have not even washed it yet. Guy who purchased it brand new passed away and it's apparently been in probate or something for about 2 years, so that's not too long for it to sit, but I'm sure it wasn't winterized or anything. The gas looked horrible, we drained it and charged the battery, it cranked great but wouldn't start. The fuel pump runs for a couple seconds but doesn't stay on, don't know if that's normal with the GL1500, but we will figure it out.

This is the first outfit for either of us, so it's going to be a learning curve.
  2. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Nice, congrats! :clap
  3. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Nice rig. :clap
    Check out the free books here for riding instruction, and see if you can locate a S/TEP class. Take your time and enjoy.
  4. AviatorTroy

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I've read the little yellow spiral bound sidecar book cove to cover and those PDFs have some more in depth information, right now still trying to get the thing to start.
  5. crashmeister

crashmeister bykeopath

Oddometer:
    Fuel pump is probably o.k. but the carbs will most likely be gummed up after sitting that long.
    Great looking rig!
  6. AviatorTroy

Oddometer:
    Dad got all the covers off yesterday, no spark. Going to start with all the interlocks. It came with a service manual so we will get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do the timing belts too. Not to hard to do, just time consuming. Some great write ups on it on the web. Use gates belts. Just as good but cheaper.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
  8. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also, change the air filters (yes there is more than one, look up the "cruise sub air" filter on google, pretty sure thats what it is called)

New plugs once you resolve you spark issue

fluid flush (brakes, coolant, oil change) since its been sitting

check the adjustable air shock for leaks

remove the 1980's style front wheel plastic cover for a better look:D

That will make an awesome rig. I really miss my GL1500 rig, and hope to have on again someday
  9. Kaufkin

Kaufkin n00b

Oddometer:
    1st post... (yep, that much of a nOOb)...

I just got a 1300 Venture Royale w/ what appears to be the same Chair.

if that is a Friendship 1, you should know there are 3 versions. two with a ... torsion spring (I think) suspension, and one with a Shock. if you Google around, you should be able to find the difference. best news is if you have the shock, if not, bring it to a shop that knows hacks, and have 'em check it out.

are the 3 tail lights connected? if so, can you diagram how they are hooked up? mine got re-wired by a mouse during it's time in storage with the prior owner...

Good Luck!

Kaufkin
  10. AviatorTroy

Oddometer:
    Yes, the chair has a coil over shock so I believe it is a very late Friendship 1 before they went to the kind that the top half lifts up.

Well, now for an update. Dissasembled the kill switch and cleaned it really well, and that fixed the ignition. Puttered around with the fuel system and determined that gas was simply not making it through the carbs. Thus commenced the worst project ever..... Took all the plastic off, ten thousand vacuum hoses, pulled the carbs off, then had to split the carbs to take the side mounted float bowls off. When dad got them torn down, the carbs appeared to be stopped up with cheese. Or something that resembled it. At that point the complete set of carbs from a '91 that we got off of ebay for 100 bucks seemed like the greatest bargain in the history of shop mechanics. Finally got it all put back together yesterday and voila, runs as it should! Maybe just a tiny off idle stumble but totally liveable. Now we have ridden it around the back field and feel comfortable enough to try it on the road. This is going to be fun!

By the way, does anyone have an oem windshield laying around?