Master Clutch Seal

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by TKE, Jun 26, 2007.

1. TKE

TKE Rider

Oddometer:
    Was in Dawson City doing the Top of the World highway when the master seal on the clutch gave up the ghost. The back of the seal had come apart with the end result looking like this:
    [​IMG]

Has anyone else seen this kind of damage?
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This is for a 12GS, I guess.

then what happened? :lurk
  3. TKE

TKE Rider

Oddometer:
    My daughter and I were doing a 2 up ride with some friends across the Top of the World highway enjoying the veiws.

[​IMG]

We had been traveling for 2 days without any issues on this trip.

[​IMG]

We finally arrived in Dawson City thinking about how much fun we were having. We spent the solstic looking out over the Yukon River.

[​IMG]

The following day we headed into the mountains south of Dawson. This was an easy 2 up ride that was gravel but not all that steep. We were not pushing the limits by any means.

[​IMG]

I went to down shift at one point to get a lower gear and the clutch had a mushy feel. When I went to shift again there was no clutch at all. I had one shift that felt mushy and the next shift there was nothing there. Had to come out of the mountains without a clutch (only stopped when the bike was pointed down so that I could coast to get started).

Just talked to the BMW dealer and the repair consists of buying the whole new master cyclinder as one unit - the do not make a rebuild kit.