2. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:

No indication of that. Just seems to be a fan, who can play. :clap
  3. the schwartz

the schwartz Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer:
    +1
    kinda sucks that we're so jaded that the first thought is to question the authenticity of this moment. i blame new york.
  4. the schwartz

the schwartz Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer:
    had a few questions from members about this "parking" area. brought the bike there again today.

it's only 2 minutes or so closer to my office, but it isn't street parking which means i don't need to worry about a car knocking the bike over or even just love tapping it, as compared to 44th street "legal" parking. pff. legal.

dunno. i did get a ticket there (36th and dyer) once, fought it by mail and was found guilty, paid it based in part on advice here. guess i'll count that risk of an occasional $125 parking ticket as my parking costs. kinda leaning towards there over the alternate side parking spots on 44th.
  5. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just joking guys ... didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

6. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Either way, great of Billy to give him a chance.
  7. Lasermaster

Lasermaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know if there are any owners on the thread, but these bikes are in a tow-away zone. Located in DUMBO.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, it looks like a production, so NYPD will only "relocate" the vehicles. No ticket or tow fee, I think. They move it a block or three away.

I've seen this with cars, but never bikes. Dunno how they'll do it, but I'd love find out! :lurk
  9. Monsignore

Monsignore Plunger Boy Supporter

Oddometer:

I first read that as "a funeral and 40oz" and wondered where the hell this thread was going, and that I was changing my oil the wrong way all this time.
  10. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Yes, and they may very well damage the shit out of every one or them
  11. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Any time anyone gets their bike towed, they should claim damage. Take pictures, and scrutinize everything. Hell, make the NYPD pay to take your bike to Computrack to verify the frame is not bent. :deal
  12. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    Does NYPD actually tow for productions or is it private trucks?

they towed my F*&^%$ Subaru AWD 3 blocks last year... and you know they didn't use a flatbed.

I really shouldn't get started on my extreme hate for Hollywood productions in NYC and their off-the-charts sense of entitlement...
  13. wiseblood

Oddometer:

This. :nod

I work in an area which gets a LOT of film traffic. Last year we averaged about one major production per month. The Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting will be quick to tell you that these productions make $millions for the city, and keep people at work.

Maybe. BUT -- If you live or work in an area which gets filmed a lot, you're basically "taking one for the team." Those $millions don't flow to YOUR neighborhood. Not even the local restaurants benefit. (Ever see craft services? Nobody buys so much as a cup of coffee from a local shop!)

These production companies should have to give everybody a voucher for garage parking if they want to take over. They could, too. But, instead, the city sends NYPD (yup!) to tow your ass our of the way.
  14. real_psyence

real_psyence professional dabbler Supporter

Oddometer:
    NYPD/DOT - I work near Silvercup and it happens all the time here. They just use the little trucks with the stingers. Surprisingly gentle when I've seen them around here, guys were pretty good at finding spots. AWDs are SOL :cry

Funny thing is, apparently MTA and DOT don't get along, or at least don't pay each other - so when the MTA has to clear blocks to do trackwork (7 in my case), they sometimes have to get those wheel dollies and have a bunch of guys push the cars out of the way. Gotta love unions.

To top it all off, the MTA often cuts down street signs (stop signs, etc.) to park the big crane trucks - then they bolt them back together. Recently I saw DOT come out, take the sign down, jackhammer the stump out, put a fresh post in and concrete the whole thing, lickety-split. Funniest thing I ever saw. What do I see last week? Same sign has a whole roll of duct-tape around a new cut/bolt job. :clap
  15. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    They filmed where I lived constantly. On my road several times, they closed down highways, etc. Also in a local state park with large meadows, 1/2 hour out of the city (Rockefeller State Preserve).

Obnoxious MF'ers who took over the neighbor where you couldn't park, walk, drive down my own street, nothing. They fed the local cops and so got away with all kinds of shit. I complained and was told they create jobs. My response was so do drug dealers, but I don't want them in my neighborhood either.

Like was said, they didn't spend a nickel in the area, and didn't create one job there. The rental fee for the park: $25.
  16. robfilms

robfilms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i did not know it was going to snow when i left this morning.

as a returning rider, i have been very predictable in when and where i ride.

i usually ride when the sun is out.

the sun was out at 11am.

by the time i turned around and headed home, it was snowing.

it wasn't a blizzard but it was slippery.

slush built up and froze on my helmet!

i used my gloves as a wiper.

did i mention it was slippery?

but i learned a lot about riding in less than ideal conditions.

man, ever since i got back to riding motorcycles i have been taught many a lesson.

all good.

ymmv

be well.

rob
  17. BERZERKOWITZ

BERZERKOWITZ .

Oddometer:
    Was that a haiku?
  18. Janet from Joisey

Janet from Joisey Bad Kitty

Oddometer:
    A friend left me some never-used, but incomplete, BMW gear:

First item is unisex BMW jacket, size S (which is a little too big for my 5'4", 130-lb frame). It is vented and has a gortex removable liner and a back protector. It is missing elbow and shoulder armor. I can bring it into work for hand-off (52d St & 6th Ave).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next item is Men's size L BMW heated vest (without any cords or controller; this uses Widder-design connection-available here:

http://www.ibaestore.com/products.asp?MainCatID=2&CategoryID=45&

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also have a new BMW Gortex pant insert/liner, size 60, if anyone can use it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last items are 3 cans of PJ1 Spray & Wash Degreaser, which were purchased a few years ago, but never used.

[​IMG]

PM me if interested. Thanks,
    -Janet
  19. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    pm sent on the vest!
  20. real_psyence

real_psyence professional dabbler Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I just had an experience I figure makes sense to share here.
    Walk out of my apartment to go to the farmer's market this morning, walk past the bike on the street to make sure it's still OK - see my key sticking out of the ignition. :eek1
    Guess I learned two things, one I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, and two, a clutch lever like this is a good deterrent, haha:
    [​IMG]

Happy St. Patty's Day!