Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by jprism, Mar 27, 2013.

1. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    JP we are a salty bunch up here! :freaky

Most of us don't really camp at those spots so its a bit tough to answer. The Nancy Lake campground is near Willow is a good spot. I don't think it has any of the things you are looking for it does get cell reception. Since a lot of people live remotely many of the local stores have shower facilities you can pay to use.
  2. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jprism
    No problem there are a bunch of state parks, forest that have camp sites, but most, if not all of them have clean pit toilets.

Like I said earlier Wi-Fi is best found in Starbucks or McDonalds

Almost every place you had mentioned in your original post will have a Laundromat or gas station that will have showers in them. You see a lot of folks live off the grid up here and their cabins don't have running water or toilets. But to get everything in one place its going to be hard to find. If worse came to worse check in to a motel as a treat for both of you.

Get a copy of the milepost it will really help in setting travel plans

Contact the different chamber of commerce's

Send me a PM when you get up this way I can show you some neat places

Bob
  3. jprism

jprism Got Miles & Smiles

Oddometer:
    Do you know anything about the Willow Creek Resort? It is north of Willow Mile Post 71.

Jim
  4. jprism

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I have a milepost but also have just received a 2010 version of Alaskan Camping which list most Yukon & Alaska campgrounds and their amenities.

Jim
  5. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Willow creek campground looks like a neat little place right on the creek is supposed to have pretty good fishing. And might have everything you are looking for.

Just north of there is the town of Talkeetna leave your trailer at willow creek and drive up for a day. People come from all over the world to climb Denali.

Take a sightseeing trip up to see Denali with one of the charter flying companies
  6. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    Willow Creek is an interesting camp ground/RV park. The owners have a bunch of rabbits which they let roam free on the camp grounds. The downside is, as with most RV parks, listening to generators running all night...not to mention the lynx stalking the rabbits. :eek1 :lol3
  7. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats a great marketing tool, moms and kids love free roaming rabbits. Dad's love to watch the hunt:rofl

Is your trailer a tent trailer?
  8. jprism

Oddometer:
    No just a small aluminum pull behind to store tent, pad, sleeping bag, stove, etc. Tried hard to pack all on the bike but just did not work.

Jim
  9. jprism

Oddometer:
    Yes will plan on spending some time there on the way to Denali. Hear it's quite a place plus one of the best places to view the mountain if a clear day.

Jim
  10. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can still park the trailer at a kind of home base and just go exploring two-up then.

I know all about space thats why I got a sidecar :rofl:rofl
  11. oclv454

oclv454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alaskahack, were you in Skagway last July? I met a couple on a sidecar rig in Skagway waiting for the ferry to Haines. I was on an F800GS. I had just found out at the Skagway hospital that I had pneumonia. Anyway, just seeing if that was you. If so, I enjoyed meeting you and your wife.
  12. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oclv454

That was me and my wife and I do remember meeting you. I ended up staying with 90 sum bikers from New Zealand they eat all the meat in the resturant

When I was going thru the border the officer asked where I stayed the evening before. I told him but asked why he asked in the first place. He couldn't believe Haines could support that many bikes. Funny! He went on and told me that the had reservations in Beaver Creek. So we stayed in destruction bay. Where are you at now?
  13. oclv454

oclv454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm at home in Incline Village, Nevada, on the north end of Lake Tahoe. Thinking I might go to Newfoundland this year, then back to Alaska next summer. If I remember correctly, a bolt had fallen off your bike and you spent some time looking for it and just barely made the ferry. That was a fun day. Eric
  14. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was a left handed nut off my mirror which can only be gotten via BMW. That was a fun day keep in touch

Bob