Short on Time and Wondering Should I buy a 2004 KTM Adventure S GO!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Crop Duster, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Crop Duster

Crop Duster That's what she said

Oddometer:
    Winter-Rocky Mountains, Summer-Spraying the Crops
    I've been doing a little research but wanted to get some opinions also. I found the deal yesterday and have to get a deposit on it today just because the bike is kinda far from me but he can ride it closer (so it'll only be 12 hours away) but he has to leave tomorrow for it to all work out. Anyways, it's a 2004 GO!!!!! model with 9,000 miles. It comes with a steering stabilizer, Renazco seat, Zip Ty axle blocks, KTM hard bags, extra set of brand new tires, FMF exhaust, and Noleen suspension. It has some light scratches on one side but not bad. He is the second owner his friend being the first. He said none of the tech bulletins have been done but he does have an extra water pump for it in the box for when this one goes bad. He will take $6500. So what do you guys think of all this? What will it take to get the tech bulletins taken care of? Thank you in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could be wrong but I thought KTM covered the critical/safety updates? Mine 950 stopped burning oil at 9000 miles....
  3. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    I wouldn't even worry about the water pump. The only tech bulletin I would want done would be the starter sprag clutch update. :1drink
  4. RB450

RB450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good price! The clutch cover doesn't even look worn.
  5. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Does this apply to the 2004? I thought it was only for the redesigned part in the 05.5/06.

I *believe* if the TSBs have truly not been done, the dealer will do them regardless of the age of the bike. If you are concerned, get the VIN, call the dealer and they'll plug that into dealer-net and let you know what has been done and what needs to be done.

Price seems good given that it's the desirable GO! and has low miles and good accessories.
  6. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    great price! grab it
  7. Crop Duster

Oddometer:
    Okay I just called the dealer here in town and it's had 2 tech bulletins both of which have been taken care of. One was for a fuel tank connection and the other was a redesigned brake caliper for the rear brake.
  8. beergut

beergut Thumper

Oddometer:
    based on what you've said, I would go for it.

My only concern, sometimes low miles can actually be a bad thing. -Parts are designed to be moved.
  9. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    I thought there was a cylinder head nut TSB for the older bikes. Also you'd want the generator bolts TSB.

http://ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html "Leaking head gaskets" "Freewheel bolts" "Crankcase Ventilation"

It's unfortunate that they did the fuel-tank connection one, it's actually the one that you'd like to avoid.

Anyways, the above is nothing that would turn me off the bike, but I'd check on the above three TSBs and see if the dealer will do them, else I would do the flywheel bolt one yourself, there was a recent thread about what happens when they back out.
  10. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    I have had the 04 GO!!!!!! since new. 70,000 now and as happy as the first day. The starter sprag was not a problem on the 04's. In fact that wasn't a problem tell 06 (the clack clack when starting, right).

The only TB you need to have checked is the freewheel bolts. They used the wrong locktite and need to be updated to the 648 locktite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like a really nice buy BTW.
  11. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy It. If you dont send me the info and Ill pick it up.. You wont be sorry:clap
  12. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Check the size of that front wheel. Maybe just the pic, but it dosn't look like a 21 in wheel. I would think that would make the bike handle quite strange.
  13. Crop Duster

Oddometer:
    Do you know why the dealer would not have these TSBs in his database for the serial number? Do some of these only apply to certain serial numbers?
  14. Crop Duster

Oddometer:
    It's got a 19'' front and 18'' rear. Is this normal?
  15. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    No. 21"/18" is stock. Many people install a 19" front (for street) but it's combined with a 17" rear. If he's keen to sell, I'd negotiate over this. You can get a 21" front easily enough and you'll be half way to a second 19/17" setup :D

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439443

No idea. Ask the dealer. Like I said, it wouldn't worry me. The only one that is critical is to re-loctite the generator bolts. Someone was selling a used bottle of the special locktite here recently for a good price, I can dig out his name.
  16. Crop Duster

Oddometer:
    Thanks for bringing the wheels to my attention. He is calling his friend who is the original owner to ask if he has the 21'' wheel sitting somewhere and maybe has forgotten about it. I don't know if I can talk him down on price anymore so I'm hoping there is a 21'' wheel somewhere that I can snag.
  17. beergut

beergut Thumper

Oddometer:
    I also wouldnt let it end the deal. I have a spare wheel if you need one.
  18. Crop Duster

Oddometer:
    So he talked with the original owner and the 19'' was put on so it would handle better in the sand. The original owner is going to look when he gets home to see if he still has the spokes and 21'' rim. It sounds like the hub was reused and laced to the 19'' wheel.
  19. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    That's a new one to me.
  20. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh?? that doesn't make any sense.

The 21 would be better in sand / off road in general than a 19, which would be better off road than a 17.