1190 black dog skid plate

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by ebrew, Apr 26, 2014.

1. davehg

davehg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had an issue installing this yesterday. The T25 bolt that bolts the side stand to the engine case stripped out (the one on right). Will probably have to drill this out.

Did anyone need to use heat to get this bolt out?
  2. RLP65202

RLP65202 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I got one of the first few of the second batch. Following the instructions I had no problems with fit or install (seems all previously reported problems have been fixed). In retrospect I believe I would have also ordered the side stand bypass plug. However Black Dog has a fairly effective way to "fix" that problem in the kit.

MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND CHECK THAT THE SIDESTAND "FIX" IS WORKING BEFORE YOU WRAP IT ALL UP IN THE SUPPLIED SHRINK WRAP! (I had installed the magnet on the wrong side of the sensor, but caught the problem and fixed it before moving on). Again I would have ordered the bypass in retrospect.

Only complaint I have (other than price) is having to remove/file down the powder coating for the side stand to work without sticking (should have been done at factory). Also the replacement side stand spring is not great and has clearance issues with the head of the bolt in which the side stand pivots.

I read all the forums and did my research before buying the best skid plate! These are relatively minor complaints for an otherwise good product... Yes I would recommend this product to a friend. :D
  3. KTMforget

KTMforget Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Scudrunner
    The side stand relocation will not be offered as a stand alone kit as it is integrated into our skid plate (which in turn helps support the side stand mount). Sorry
    Kurt
  4. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    K...

Do you know the distance from the mounting holes on the cases to your bracket?...I don't run the ractory bars anymore...and will nee a spacer from the motor's case to your upper bracket....

Thanks
  5. WickedKTM

WickedKTM Lost

Oddometer:
    I have the black dog skid plate and installed this weekend. I noticed today my oil temp ran about 10-25 degrees warmer than normal. After getting home and looking the bike over it occurred to me that while this plate is very beefy and good coverage it does block all air flow and seems to concentrate the radiant heat from the exhaust, block, etc. has anyone else noticed this?

I will run the bike tomorrow on the same run in the same ambient temp and see if the temps go down.

For Kurt @ black dog. Any reason for no air holes on the front side to allow some air to pass though like other skid plate designs? Unless there was a good reason not too, I may take a drill a Swiss cheese the front a little if my test proves that temps go down without the skid on.

Thanks
  6. USPSATrevor

USPSATrevor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got my skid plate installed last weekend in about 2.5 lazy hours. It fit perfectly, and I'm very happy - great product. I bought a competitor's plate previously but didn't even bother to install it. The design just didn't make any sense. I can see the experience and real world priorities that have gone into the BDCW plate, and it was worth every penny.

Thanks, Kurt for getting it to me in time for the trip!

I haven't noticed any higher oil temps. Mine usually runs about 175 with or without the plate.
  7. WickedKTM

WickedKTM Lost

Oddometer:
    Good to hear on your temps. I tested mine and its definitely less without the skid on. It runs about 15-30 degrees hotter when moving with it on and 35+ degrees hotter in slower traffic with it on for me. Confirmed this by removing and running the bike with no skid.

It will be interesting to hear other folks input.
  8. Omaha Tenere

Omaha Tenere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My BDCW Skid plate is ordered....Kurt said shipping soon (second run)!

--Rob
  9. KTMforget

KTMforget Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike
    Sorry - have been off the grid for a while. Are you using the tank protectors from the Standard model or running naked? That will make a difference. Let me know. Thanks
    Kurt
  10. KTMforget

KTMforget Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi WickedKTM - We have not experienced any heating issue with our testing in Baja nor has come of our customers that have run Death Valley at 106 degrees, nor have we felt any extra heat radiating off the bike.

Adding any "armor" to the bike will cut down on airflow but we feel the protection is worth the trade off. In our experience, holes in the skid plate do an excellent job of letting sticks, rocks, mud and other debris INTO the skid plate, and not such a good job letting them OUT, all while decreasing the strength and integrity of the skid plate. Given the bike is water cooled, we really don't feel this will be an issue, especially given the external oil cooler.

I find it hard to believe there would be a 30 degree difference while moving at any kind of speed. On the 950/990s with the temperature guard, I doubt any difference would even register, but with the new readouts it is easier to see minor changes.

We design our skid plates for maximum protection and durability and to withstand a LOT of abuse. Some other skid plates (which shall remain unnamed) are more of a design / style exercise without providing any real protection.

Thanks for your support
    Kurt
  11. davehg

davehg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did my install tonite after the dealer drilled out the stripped bolt holding the stock kickstand mount to the engine case. They had used loctite on the original install, and the replacement bolt also came with loctite. Recommend that Kurt add a warning on the install instructions that heat may be needed.

Overall, super happy with the product and install instructions, but still working out the fit, as it seems I need to trim the rubber block to get the right front mount to line up to fit the bolt holes. Agree that the filing of powercoat of the kickstand mount should be done at the factory. This was a frustratingly irritating install, but once complete, the product quality is apparent. The kickstand relocation feature is worth the hassle.
  12. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Assume naked...and I will go from there....my set up will be the motor then a spacer then your bracket then a spacer then my new bars...
  13. WickedKTM

WickedKTM Lost

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input Kurt. I am continuing to monitor the temps. Even with the temps I am seeing they are still low enough IMO to be "normal" and the protection is worth it for me at this point. I mainly posted to see if anyone else has experienced it.

Your product is nice and the install was easy. I will agree with the original kickstand mounting bolts. The large bolt on the rear is on there good and heat should be applied as the torx head stripped on mine also. Since its not being used, I just used an angle grinder to cut the original kick stand mount there at the bolt and left it in there :) Maybe one day when I am down there and the exhaust is off ill spend the time removing the stripped bolt.
  14. KTMforget

KTMforget Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the feedback. We appreciate everyone's patience while we have been trying to keep up with demand.

We just completed our next batch and all backorders have been filled. Come and get 'em!!
  15. Omaha Tenere

Omaha Tenere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is 90 degrees here and 2 weeks since installing my BDCW skid plate. No heating issues at all.
  16. davehg

davehg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unsolicited, Kurt sent out an email inviting skid plate owners to switch over to a side stand relocating bracket that enabled greater lean angle with the sidestand down. Some owners complained about the lean angle, prompting the email.

I hadn't complained, though I had secretly wished for a bit greater lean, as parking the KTM in the dirt with a more upright lean can make it difficult to mount and dismount for those with shorter inseams.

I reply that I would like the upgrade, and less than a week later, it arrives at my mailbox. FREE OF CHARGE. Only requirement was to return the old one, or be charged $50. BLACK DOG EVEN PAID THE RETURN SHIPPING.

The KTM leans more noticeably, making it easier to mount and not as tricky to park in the dirt or hunt for level ground.

Love this level of customer service, and it's the first time a vendor sent me an unsolicited upgrade free of charge. Look forward to more of their products and highly encourage those looking for a skid plate to go with this one. Nice job, Black Dog!!
  17. WickedKTM

WickedKTM Lost

Oddometer:

x2 - I opted for the new part (not installed yet). Great proactive customer service!
  18. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:

they are always fantastic to deal with. I opted for the new part as well as mine stands pretty straight up on the side stand. I do love the skid plate, after initial install removing fo roil changes is a piece of cake.
  19. carden260

carden260 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE

Love this level of customer service, and it's the first time a vendor sent me an unsolicited upgrade free of charge. Look forward to more of their products and highly encourage those looking for a skid plate to go with this one. Nice job, Black Dog!![/QUOTE]

Kurt and Black Dog Cycles are the best. I got a set of soft bags along with all the usual gear for the 1190 and had a failure of a mounting ring on one of the bags. Kurt had a new set at my house before I even returned from my trip to Colorado. :super:superNot going to find better customer support then that.

Thanks Kurt for your ingenuity and customer service.

Jason
  20. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    I got it as well, but am opting to stay with it as is. Mine leans enough with the setup from Blackdog, but wondering if I will regret this if I want the larger foot for off-road...