Reliability/Longevity of FJR/ST1300/Connie

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MikePDX, Jun 13, 2014.

1. MikePDX

MikePDX On Road Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know we have a lot of sport touring guys here and I am curious if owners of these various bikes could clue me in on what the "normal" mileage that can be expected off of just routine maintenance?

I realize stuff happens, and there are going to be unlucky situations with any bike, but as a generalization most bikes have a range that is considered normal (i.e 150k on a Goldwing is considered relatively normal but would be astronomically high on a Suzuki Boulevard).

I am kicking around the idea of going sport touring bike and this is one of my main concerns.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've found most modern bikes suffer from being trashed, replaced and left to sit, stolen, crashed, etc well before any mechanical failure happens that is worth putting them out to pasture. I think just about any water cooled-well maintained bike will go 100k+ without worry.
  3. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    ^ that. I see a lot of Connie photos with 100k on the odo. Guys celebrating the rollovers.
  4. Xdriver

Xdriver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think any of these would last longer than most would own them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    The FJR I had felt new at 30k miles and wouldn't think twice about riding it anywhere. The bike would have gone 100k easy with minimal work. It could have been the easiest bike to own that I ever owned.

I was at a dealer when another FJR owner asked what to do after accidentally putting in 80w-90 gear lube...in the crank case...and went on a 1500 mile trip. He changed out his mistake and never had an issue. It's a pretty solid bike.
  6. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    I think mechanical reliability should not be a concern with modern day sport-tourer....they all have big block, under-stressed motors. Its the electrical gremlins that can pop up over the lifetime of ownership, weather is be due to environmental exposure, assembly issues, poor connectors, or just plan dumb-luck.

It's been well documented and proven that all the bikes you mentioned will live a long life when used within it's means and maintained properly.

Pick one and enjoy.
  7. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having owned a number of old Japanese bikes with high mileage , have to agree it's the electrics that go before the motor.

Oh and the suspension of course
  8. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Results of a recent Consumer Reports customer survey showed the Yamaha was #1 in reliability. Formely I owned a '06 FJR and now a '12 Yamaha Super Tenere and my experience reflects the same. I'm a bike whore, ride 20-25K miles/yr and salute Yamaha, not only for their reliability but also for their customer support at both the dealer level and Yahama NA.

I've no experience with a Connie or ST1300 other then riding bikes belonged to friends. I perferred the sporty handling of the FJR but the Connie perhaps was the most comfy. The ST1300 simply didn't make me smile.

As other have said, all the above are durable, reliable bikes. Cost of ownership, handling, and comfort are other factors you may want to consider.

Paul
  9. Jonesee0505

Jonesee0505 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    John Ryan set the record for the Prudhoe Bay AK to Key West FL run on an FJR with over 140,000 miles on it when he started the run.
  10. richarddacat

richarddacat Everything is green and submarine.

Oddometer:
    May he rest in peace.

Almost 65K on mine with nothing but tires, tune and fluids. Even at 35K the valves didn't need touching. :thumb
  11. QueenslandKen

QueenslandKen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A gent on one of the forums has 356,000 miles on a FRJ.
  12. scoutDad

scoutDad IBA#203

Oddometer:
    I have had several sport tourers, the last one being an ST13. I would expect any of the three mentioned to be good for well over 150K with just normal maintenance.

I personally know of several FJR's that are running fine with well over 100K miles on them and a couple with more than 200K miles. A friend of mine has an ST13 with over 300K on it with just normal maintenance. One of the ST lists has a chart that tracks members high mileage ST's and it is full of bikes with really high mileage that are still going strong.

The C14 has not been around as long, but the C10 was good for over 100K and I would expect the same from the C14. My best riding buddy has one and he expects to get 200K from it. I think his is north of 70K already.

For a buyer looking at getting a used one, the general perception that 40 or 50K is high mileage on a motorcycle can be a good thing and lead to getting a bargain, especially if the seller thinks that number is high mileage or has already had several potential buyers walk away because the bike is "worn out".

Keep in mind that even though the engines and trannys are good for that long, things like suspension wear and need maintenance or replacement, but that is true of any bike.

FWIW
  13. rockmurf

rockmurf IBA #31100

Oddometer:
    I sold an 06 fjr a few months ago with 124k miles and it ran like new. I went out and bought a 2013 fjr because for me it is the best motorcycle on the market today dollar for dollar for me hands down.
  14. PA RIDER

PA RIDER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 06fjr is just turning 80K. Never needed a valve adj., runs so smooth I just run up the tach to hear that beautiful engine sing to me. I'm hitting 80 yrs. old soon and expect the fjr to last longer than me. You can't go wrong with any of your prospective choices.
  15. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Modern engines are just amazing. When you consider the forces involved with those pistons being smashed a billion times per lifetime (or whatever)and the heat it generates, pretty astonishing they can still run like new with 200K on the clock.
  16. chokozip

chokozip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm running te ST. I expect it to go 200k before I peel off the goodies and put then on another ST. As for services right now I change oil every 8 k with amsoil. As for the rest I do a tear down in the winter so it's ship shape come spring.
    Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Sean
  17. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I had a C10, it turned over 100k before I sold it. It was still going strong. I was just tired of it and ready for something else. I had an ST13 for three months, then totaled it. It was a solid bike, and I liked it better every time I rode it. It broke my heart to see it laying there in the road while they loaded me into the meat wagon. When I finally got back on my feet, I bought an FJR. I liked it a lot also, but sold it because my wife did not like it.

Now I am riding a DL650. Rolled over 1,000 miles yesterday. Woo Hoo! I hope to get to six figures on this one too.
  18. Iranian

Iranian Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Several 100k miles is the norm for anyone that has one that long. And even then the bike is sold or traded long before its life is over.
    there are many 200k plus 650 stroms out there as well, and I think cruisers can do it, but most cruiser owners are weekend riders with not a lot of miles. Many cruisers would be antiques to get 200k on them. Lots of 7-10 yr old cruisers with 10-15k.

one of the reasons I have an FJR over the other 2 was that the ST and C14 requires premium fuel.. that was enough for me to look away.
  20. Towmater

Towmater Frostback...rider

Oddometer:
    175000km on my 03 FJR. No problems so far.