H4 conversion for Baja Designs Racelight, ready to ship

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Boatman, Jan 5, 2010.

1. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried emailing, but it said invalid email address. Will PM you now
  2. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got your PM and replied. Sorry for the trouble with the email, if I post it with no spaces you can't see that there is and underscore so I posted it with spaces.

wood_too@hotmail.com (underscore between wood and too)
  3. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I received my H4 conversion just before the Sandblast rally and I was glad I had it. The misty, rainy night stage would have been terrible if I didn't have the conversion fitted. Very elegant and simple solution to a common problem.
    The round headlights are very efficient and provide a great pattern for road and trail riding at night. The fit and finish of this product is excellent!

Thanks Scott!
  4. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ordered mine this morning.
  5. JohnnyAirtime

JohnnyAirtime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be ordering as well! :clap
    ... a great idea, and something that solves a problem (because retrofitting an H4 into a BD light, or TT... isn't going to give you decent beam patterns on the road or trail. It's simply a waste of time. ....trust me on this). Hats off to Boatman for the MOD!

I however, like the IPF version of the reflector a bit better than the Hella (I have both, have tested both... with Halogen and HID H4). I'll be fitting an H4 "Dual-HID" into the reflector, and using a 35W ballast for low beam and a 55W ballast for high beam. When I'm on the trail, I'll run both low... and high beam, and have the ultimate in high output lighting.

I currently do this in a more "street friendly" or "dual-purpose" looking light frame and have had great success... with incredible light output.

... can't wait to get my order! :evil
    I'll be using this when I'm NOT ever on the street, but camping or night rides in the desert.
  6. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed mine today and it's a huge improvement. I will be doing a half assed write up on Cafe Husky and can put it here as well if wanted.

Thanks Scott for answering my stupid questions, this is how this light should be shipped for people that ride on the street too.
  7. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boatman has your ticket here in a brilliant kit that is a no brainer even for idiots like me.

Package arrived and I dove into it even though I did not have the time to finish the install that evening. Everything was nicely packed and instructions to boot.
    [​IMG]

Items included in the kit
    [​IMG]

BD Light taken apart and the first "ring" gets laid into place. Keep the BD gasket in place[​IMG]

Place the new Hella housing in place
    [​IMG]

Next place the second ring to the back of the light housing. Note the yellow dot at the top per instructions.
    [​IMG]

Add your bulb (sold separately), the rubber grommet and either a pig tail or you can use spade connectors and more or less make your own harness.

[​IMG]

Almost there. Looks good.
    [​IMG]

Time for a :cheers:
    [​IMG]

I decided to use my stock plug from the OEM light as I will never use that light again and if I do I will worry about that then. Few splices and it was time to button it up.

[​IMG]

Here are a few pics. STOCK Husky Headlight (since I had it on the bike already
    [​IMG]

BD Light with Boatman's Conversion (Low Beam)
    [​IMG]

High Beam
    [​IMG]
  8. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just the conversion
  9. JohnnyAirtime

JohnnyAirtime Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Got mine... and did an H4 Dual HID conversion to a Hella 7", and an IPF 7".
    ... so far, I like the IPF better when using the HID bulbs. Much cleaner output. However, here's a sneak peak into the Baja Designs plastic shell and my dual ballast/igniter install and two toggle switches to operate low and high of the HID. SO NICE to be able to run low beam, and high beam at the same time... to get incredible output for that night time ride!!

[​IMG]

Sadly, I didn't take "in action" pictures on a ride this past Saturday. No moon... perfect desert weather... and a hundred miles all from 9pm to 2AM. So nice to have light to ride with.

BTW, the IPF requires a tad bit larger outer ring (obtained with light sanding), and the inner ring needs to be flipped over. Easy peezy!
  10. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    Got mine and installed it. I haven't ridden at night yet but will report back when I do. The Baja Design O ring doesn't fit. I'm hoping the supplied O ring is all that is needed.
  11. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    To confirm, this fits in an 8" BD racelight?
  12. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check
  13. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cyclops Motorsports and Boatman have teamed up to offer the complete assy.. it will be available threw Cyclops in both halogen and a 4300k high/low HID version. Boat man will continue to have and is your source for the retrofit kit.
    more details to come..
  14. Boatman

Oddometer:
    Yes,,, see the first pic in the first post. The 8" racelight has the conversion installed.
  15. Boatman

Oddometer:

Yes it's true. Complete lights are available through Cyclops. If you already have the light and just need a conversion kit, I have plenty in stock.

Here is a testimonial I received yesterday......

"I finally got the light on tonight and went for a rip up the road; Holy ^%#$^%$#^ shit is it nice! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] What a HUGE difference from stock. I used a silverstar ultra for now; don't know if they're really worth the money increase over a regular bulb, but I went for it anyway and I am pretty darn happy with the unit as a whole right now. I can't imagine I'll need any more for my riding."<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  16. Boatman

Oddometer:
    I've gotten a couple inquiries lately asking if these are still available,,,, yes, in stock and ready to ship.
  17. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    My Boatman kit just survived the 800KM Paris to Dacre rally in Canada last weekend. Since our team of three rolled across the start line at 4:16 am, the light came in handy, no doubt. All during the morning stages, it proved to be very effective and was plenty durable to take the constant pounding of the power line trails and baby head climbs. It even took the abuse of me throwing it on the ground a few times:lol3

I just installed another Boatman light on my 400 EXC for the late night trail rides!
  18. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may well be a little retarded but i can't find the conversion unit at Cyclops Motorsports.?
  19. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are about 2 weeks away from having a new site complete.
    at that time all the new conversions, rally lights and new LED acc. lights will be on there with ADV discount codes..
    in the mean time you can call 1 800 624 0278
    Thanks
  20. Boatman

Oddometer:
    I've gotten a few emails about these asking if I am still making them.

YES..... In stock and ready to ship. :thumb