AMA Roadracing at New Jersey

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Motorcyclist, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Fajita Dave

Fajita Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was an excellent Daytona Sportbike race as usual! Bad break for Tommy Hayden in superbike with the red flag. I wonder what that kid was doing when he wrecked, couldn't he just wait till the straight away to adjust his front brake lever?
  2. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Just great racing yesterday. They are really pushing it hard. From the looks of the crashes, there are some safety updates that need to be attended to. Smacking that, ironically named, Jersey barrier with your hip at about probably 50 mph when he got there had to smart. Good thing it was the hip and not the head.
  3. rajflyboy

rajflyboy Banned

Oddometer:
    I agree

Man.. Tommy got hosed but I guess the rules are the rules. He had a good attitude about the issue. Hopefully he kicks some butt today.
  4. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

They have put in two chicanes since T-Bolt was built.....are people hitting the inside again through 4-4a-4b, I've seen that in CCS.
  5. rajflyboy

rajflyboy Banned

Oddometer:
    Sh$t

Tennis hasn't been good since the 80's

:rofl
  6. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:

Admitting to watching tennis in a road racing thread.....are you trolling? :lol3
  7. bluebye

bluebye Skin it back

Oddometer:
    'neckville is where you hang your hat, Rolling
    Good racing at New Jersey.
  8. Ron_Ces

Ron_Ces Aging Hacker

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pics. The promoters have to tweak a few things like a PA system that can be heard at all of the grandstands, but I had a good time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:

Looks like you were seated right by the big left-hander before the esses and the front straight -- nice!

Were you there on Sunday? Did you have a good view when Danny Eslick stuffed Josh Herrin on the inside? I saw that on TV, and I couldn't believe two things:

1. That Herrin didn't run off the track.
    2. That Eslick actually tried to shake hands with Herrin after winning. :lol3

Jesse
  10. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    Hooked flyboy. :D
  11. Ron_Ces

Ron_Ces Aging Hacker

Oddometer:
    Jesse, did not see that bump live, just on the replay. The move was aggressive, but not dirty. The hand shake attempt was weird. I do not think he would want to shake your hand after that move. that shot is 2 from the left you are talking about.
    Ron
    Ron
  12. Pa.Hangard

Pa.Hangard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't go back this year after they charged motorcycles to park last year.
    They should realize that when you ride to the event you don't drag the big cooler and spend more at the concessions so alienating bike riders with a parking fee costs them money.
  13. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I made the trek to NJMP on Sunday to see how spectating is at that facility. From my home outside New Haven, CT, it is about 225 miles one way to the track. Yahoo Maps says it will take 4 hours and 12 minutes, but you can do it in under 3.5 hours if you are motivated :lol3. No pictures, should have taken them, but didn't. Sue me.

Here are my observations:

1. Very nice facility, pedestrian friendly and well laid out with defined areas for vendors, racing garages, exhibits/stunters, concessions, bleachers, etc.

2. Tickets were $53 at the gate (ouch), with an additional $3 for parking outside the track or $10 for VIP infield parking. If anyone is planning to go in the future, don't opt for the VIP parking. It just locks you into the infield and forces you to wait for the place to clear out before you can leave.

3. I didn't think the concessions beat you up too bad as far as sporting events go. $2 for a large soda, and the combo meals (burger, fries, soda)were in the $7-$9 range.

4. They had a play area for kids near the main concession stand, which seemed to be pretty well utilized. Inflatable bounce houses, and other kid friendly entertainment. It is the first time I can recall seeing that at a MC race, and it seemed to be a big hit with the moms and chillins.

5. The track had bleachers at most of the interesting corners. If the bleachers were full, there was plenty of opportunity to stand at the fence and get a good view up and down the track. I watched various races from different vantage points to get an idea what worked and what didn't. I don't have the corner numbers in front of me, but the kink on the backstretch was an excellent viewing point, with the riders very close to the spectators. The carousel turn was another good spot, although it is very flat and some elevation would help the spectators view the action better. If they installed mounds like Indy it would tremendously improve the view. One of the best spots is on the mound at the bridge. You can see the riders braking before they enter the carousel complex, follow them through that series of turns, and then you get a good view of them accelerating onto the main straight.

6. The racing was universally competitive and excellent. For me, the Daytona Sportbikes put on the best show. That is not to say the Superbikes were boring, far from it, but the Sportbike race had a large lead pack changing positions every lap. The XR1200's were noticeably slower than any other class, but they absolutely made the best sound. DMG has really gotten the formula right to make the racing in all the classes very competitive, kudos to them! The show is not the issue, the promotion of it is though. No signs anywhere advertising the races as I came in on a major road.

7. I'd recommed attending this event, and I plan to go back in the future. Interestingly, I can do a round trip to NJMP in significantly less time than a one way trip to the next closest venues (VIR or Mid-Ohio).

George
  14. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    Hey Jesse, I missed the bump by Eslick in real life as well, but I saw the taped feed of the races last night and Herrin had no hate for Eslick in the post race interview. He said that he left the door open, and in a championship battle he'd have made the same move.

Kudo's to him for being a sport and keeping that thing on the track!
  15. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motorcyclist - Good review! DMG should hire you. :D

Thanks
  16. PA GS'er

PA GS'er Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I attended on Saturday and admission was $40 pp and $5 for parking with a free shuttle to the track. The races were great and the facility is great with many good vantage points for photos and spectating. At noon they had a pit walk where you could meet the riders, get autographs, etc. The winners circle was easy to get too as well. If you check the admission prices at other events at NJMP the $40 is comparable to what they charge at the other events. Hayes was screaming on the Yamaha but we were told that Peris had the highest straightaway speed on the S1000 on Friday. Overall a great time, they have more phases of construction they are doing there as well.
  17. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm working out a deal with them now. Should I ask for the high seven figures or low eights as a starting salary? Decisions, decisions.... :lol3
  18. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:

I don't know if it's clear on TV, but the point where Eslick made his move is the tip-in for a decreasing radius turn. After a fast sweeping right-hander, the turn tucks in hard. :thumb.
  19. KLboxeR

KLboxeR Yeah, I ride a Harley. So what?

Oddometer:
    :nod

Eslick took a pretty big gamble passing at that point. If you take an inside line there, you run out of track VERY fast on the far side. The way Herrin was squaring it off was the more common, and faster, line but it leaves the inside way, way open. If Eslick hadn't used him for a berm, I'd bet Herrin would have just re-passed before tipping into the carousel.

I doubt Eslick anticipated the contact, but he sure wasn't shy about trying to stuff him when allowed that couple extra feet of race track :lol3
  20. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :D Dude's a racer.