the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    sure we're all ears.
    here's the back story for those who don't know.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725795 >>>
    http://drriders.com/topic2824.html

&

http://mxrob.com/mxrob_005.htm
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/761641-96-2010-dr650se-fuel-injection-project/
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    for some reason, however, the kit was not 100% polished for PnP resale and ProCycle did not pick it up. for the same price as a pumper carb, we're not seeing people jump on that kit so something is up. it seems like it's 99% done and that 1% is the hardest and holding people back. maybe i'm wrong.

if it was my baby, i'd be actively on the boards pushing with 2nd level early adopter discounts (like how Ricor did that with Intiminators) and working the forums for interest and support. seems Ecotrons said here it is figure it out, i'll help some but fine tune my product for me. I think that is giving people pause. guys like Jeff @ Procycle release new products and are there everyday helping out with support online...that's the last 1%. there is a reason i'm ADV most every day...i'd love to say it's for all you fine gents, but it's to move Butler Maps forward.

maybe rawley83 can work with Matt on that last 1% and even be the rep. i'd like to see it at 100% as I started that rabbit hole.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    mmm, i'm still on the decision fence as to get the lo 4500K kit or the lo/hi 4500k kit. :scratch sounds like 35w is the way to go because of light output and extra juice gained for other items.

currently i'm running those IPF fatboy bulbs and a relay it's better than stock but not ideal at night. adding PC brackets and LED aux lights is an option but more $ than this kit and more crap hanging off the bike waiting to be whacked.

what i find during night riding is i like the low beam light spread most all the time anyway except for maybe faster cornering and seeing around corners with hi beams. if the lo kit has 5x the light as H4 then i'm leaning towards that as ideal unless some is using a lo/hi and gives a compelling reason why having the hi option is essential. i'm not a big night rider to start with and like to ride conservatively anyway when the sun goes down.
  4. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I don't plan to ride at night, but it happens from time to time.

I'd estimate the 35 w HID to double the light output of the previous +80% H4 fitted, with about double the depth and noticably more spread. Remember its somewhere between a square and cube function. Depends a bit on the reflector design. Twice the light output doesn't equal twice the range. The HID works OK in the DR and the low beam cutoff works good so no issues with blinding oncoming traffic.

[​IMG]

The LEDs I have don't offer a lot of depth, the HID does that, but they noticably improve the spread. Tucked in and up, mounted to the barkbusters, they are out of the way and not too vulnerable.

Get a dipping HID, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
  5. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,

What kind of grips did you put on? On / off or many positions? The grips that is.

Thanks,

Heirhead
  6. felixblack1

felixblack1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think for most EFI would defeat the purpose of why most bought the simple DR.
  7. Feelers

Feelers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely.

If I wanted EFI, I would have bought pretty much any other available dual sport and probably the TE-630. For me, EFI on the DR is worth very little.
  8. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    if there was a truly plug-n-play efi kit awailable for the dr650; i definitely woulda considered it instead of the fcr39 carb i got. efi is far simpler than carbs, imo. and more efficient. and they break far less often. it's yust that when the do break, it can be more complicated.

doug s.
  9. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    Was looking at a DR 650 or a DRZ400 to put in the garage for some off road exploration on forest service roads, in north Georgia...I have a DR in my sites but want to make sure it's the one for my needs, and I have to wait a couple of months before pulling the trigger.
    I would be riding like 60% streets to get to the trails, would there be a big weight difference between the two?

Is there significant difference in the two off road?
    How about maintenance between the two?

I realize I'm bringing up, "a dead horse" here, so sorry, but just a couple of replies with the right information will work for me.:evil

Thanks for the info,
  10. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:

Pretty much my sentiment.

I have a friend with 3 Huskys. TE610 carb'd, a TE310 FI and a 630SM FI. He had to buy expensive software to make the FI's run right. The carb'd bike, he just rides it. I purposely stayed away from FI. Don't understand it and I'm too old to learn.:lol3
  11. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    They're the Oxford heated grips that Twisted Throttle sells. I believe they were the "Touring" style. Compared to the ProTaper grips I had on there before, these are like gripping solid rock, but they're hot. They have four separate adjustments for heat, but I don't really see why you would use anything other than 100%.
  12. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    depending on how tough the trails you plan to ride are and what kind of tar and how much you have to ride (miles) to get there.

DRZ400 is gonna be better as the terrain get's tougher, but the DR will be nicer while getting there on tar. Gnarly single track will tire you out on a DR650. (that's what my KTM400 is for). The DR650 is the bike you want if it's gonna be dirt roads and jeep roads. Easier trails are fine too, but rock gardens and deep mud are just no fun. (not much better on a DRZ either) The weight difference is about 50 lbs IIRC.
  13. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any bike I own gets heated grips. First set was Oxford; they were pricey, heated very well, but were hard as a rock and buzzed my hands to death. Nowadays I use the undergrip heaters (Kimpex, Trackside, Tusk) with my choice of grips.

Sarah
  14. TIGERRIDER007

Oddometer:
    So, it's possible to set up the suspension on the DR to handle off road applications (like a DRZ)? I guess really stiff. Are there serious springs or other aftermarket products (I'm sure tons) that handle suspension issues? Can you recommend any good websites for these products? Thanks
    I'd like to get the rear suspension as high as possible if that makes sense, the most clearance possible between tire and fender...:D
  15. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    Contact Rick (NCRick) @ Cogent Dynamics. (a RaceTech shop that specializes in DR650's)

I have his modification in the rear of my DR and RaceTech Emulators and heavy springs in front. I have the stock spring in the rear still.

Just jacking up the bike with heavier springs won't make it good. You need to change some internals. (if you want to push hard offroad) My suspension is now very good. Not KTM good, but very good.( I had work done to the KTM & heavier springs also)
  16. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about where you are, but in New York State, I need the high beam to pass the yearly safety inspection. You could just replace the bulb for that day, but why have to do more work than you need.
  17. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tiger - I usually offer the following for the "is the DR off road capable?" Suspension upgrades from Procycle, pumper carb, smaller CS sprocket, engine protection, idiot rider.

Both bikes are great choices as soon as you dial in your absolute priorities. I did a 290 mile ride last Friday, about 60 miles of it dirt. Some DRZ riders will say their bikes are too "buzzy" on the slab portions, but with anything, that's personal preference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click for video ^^^^^^^ Can't figure out embedding.
  18. TIGERRIDER007

Oddometer:
    Roger than Trophy Hunter, great video by the way! That was some rocky riding at points. :clap
    I suppose I'll be looking at both bikes, then factor in price, condition, and mileage, and seller location...then pull the trigger when it's time.
    I'll keep these suspension upgrades tips because I'm sure the bike will need upgrades.
  19. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    PLUS ONE! +++
    That's a very accurate assessment between the DR and DRZ. I owned the "E" model DRZ ... and it's MUCH better than the street legal "S" model off road. If you can find a "legal" E model, go that way if more knarly trails are on the agenda. (It's lighter, different motor, better suspension)

Neither even come close to the DR everyplace else. Also ... the DR650 is very nice to load up with cargo. The DRZ's? It's a PItA ... and your load has to be small. On highway even the S street model DRZ is spinning hard at 70 mph. The DR is loafing at 70 mph.

But as said above ... on more challenging trails the DRZ trumps the DR.

Maintenance wise both bikes are very good, not hard to maintain ... with a slight advantage to the DR650 with it's very simple valve adjustments.
  20. TIGERRIDER007

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info, I'm really having trouble deciding...I really want a light bike to go off road and get a little aggressive with, I have a 955 Tiger for long trips and to pack up and go....so my wants lean me toward the DRZ, as long as it's not underpowered. I will also be riding with a few KTM guys (which doesn't mean much to me) and they have some very light machines...So, thank you guys for the information, I do believe these are great bikes and an even better value, so price, condition, and mileage will be important when it's time to buy. :clap