My First Scooter - Roketa 150

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by ParrotheadJeff, Mar 17, 2013.

1. ParrotheadJeff

ParrotheadJeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had an eye on Craigslist for quite a while on the off chance that something ridiculously affordable might show up. Earlier this week, it finally did :D

[​IMG]

This Roketa 150 came up and I really couldn't pass on the deal. It's a 2007, less than 3,000 miles on it, clean title, and the price was certainly right at $25.00 :deal Yes, that's right - twenty five dollars :clap It was about 110 miles away, but really how could I lose?

[​IMG]

The previous owner said it needs a battery, a mirror, and some fresh gas. I got it home in the back of a minivan (getting it in and out of that minivan was an adventure in itself), got it on its center stand, and got to a little bit of work. I checked and found that the glass fuses on the battery leads weren't connected correctly, so I re-did those. I drained the old gas (no idea how old it was), and added about 3/4 gallon of fresh along with a couple capfuls of Seafoam.

The battery was supposed to be dead, so I just hooked up a couple of jumper cables from my V-Star to the Roketa's battery leads. The turn signals worked, the emergency flashers worked, the horn worked, and the engine turned over somewhat slowly but did not start. I also noticed that the headlights did not illuminate.

[​IMG]

I decided to check on batteries while I was out getting dinner. A 9-BS battery at Walmart would be $60. The guys in TLE at Walmart tested it and said there were no bad cells, but it was just weak (about 5 volts) so it might be worth trying adding new acid. O'Reilley's had the acid for about $5.00, but they didn't know if I need to add acid and water or just whatever's in the container in this box :dunno

So, here's where I stand. I need to go to the DMV to do the title, get the mirror, get a working battery, and figure out why it won't start. I've got oil for the engine and final drive, so I'll do an oil change shortly as well.

I'm really looking forward to getting this bike back up and running :ricky I'm just tired after working yesterday and a long day today, so I'm going to wait until tomorrow night to do any more work on the scooter. Wish me luck and please give me any advice you can - I'm gonna need it :lol3

PS - I'm currently reading through the scooter maintenance for n00bs thread & it's a great source of info as well :thumb
  2. jesionowski

jesionowski Chicagoland Honda CB500F

Oddometer:
    Great find. Might just be a few small things to fix and you got a nice scooter to play with.
  3. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    If the dead battery was still in the circuit when you tried to jump it, it can suck up a lot of power and make the engine turn slow. You should change the oil and the oil in the rear gear reduction box. Check as many electric connections as you can; they get funky fast on the Chinese bikes.

The headlights won't go on until it is running. They run from the stator. So does the ignition system.

These bikes often have a vacuum fuel pump. Sometimes a bike that's been sitting for a while needs a shot of ether to get it started the first time. It just can't get enough vacuum up to pump the system full of fuel.

The vacuum and fuel hoses are pretty thin and soft, and should be replaced.

I'm further along in the same sort of project on a Xingyue 260.

Enjoy the project.

Bob
  4. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Related China 150 thread.

Ignition troubleshooting . . volts . . Ohms . . trigger pickup coil resource.

Check tire valve stems.

<EMBED height=315 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=420 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/TBikGAIzArM?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>
  5. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great project and absolutely a good deal! Cant wait to read and see more!
  6. ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer:
    Thanks and I hope so :D

The dead battery wasn't in the circuit - it was just jumper cables over to the battery leads on the scooter. It's not the greatest electrical connection and there was NO voltage from a battery on the scoot to help, so we'll see what happens when I do have a battery on board. I'll get some starting fluid & see how that helps.

Do you have a recommendation for where I should go for the fuel and vacuum lines and maybe a fuel filter as well? It sounds like a great idea to swap 'em out and really shouldn't take too long :thumb

And the info on the headlights and all. I'll go through what I can and I'll get the oil changed soon - I just want to know it'll start before I go and change the oil :1drink

Best luck with your project, too :D

That's all wonderful info - thank you!!! I'd never have thought to check the valve stems, but now I'll be sure to do so before I get it on the road. Do you have a recommended place to pick them up?

Thanks! I'll be sure to keep this thread up to date :wink:
  7. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Any auto parts store or even wally world will have fuel and vacuum lines and a fuel filter that can just be installed inline. 1 buck a foot for lines or something like that in bulk.
  8. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One option is Rolling Wrench (Denver).
  9. ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! I'll look into the local shop for some of the minor stuff, but I'll check out Rolling Wrench, too :D

I'm still at work (shhh!), but I'll have an update sometime tonight with a couple of pictures, some news, and another question or two :wink:
  10. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    great deal! looking forward to your results
  11. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
  12. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely try the scootdawgs forum, they specialize in chinese scooters. It is a common GY6 engine. It should turn over easily with a good battery properly connected to it, and the dead battery out of the circuit. I have a portable jumpstarter pack for such things, easier to use than jumper cables. Also, how big were your jumper cables? If the cables were not big enough, you would not get enough current through them to turn the starter over good. there are also a number of possible electrical problems. One way to bypass everything is to connect the jumper cables directly to the starter terminal on the positive side, and the frame on the negative side. If it still doesn't work properly, the starter is bad, or something is preventing it from turning. If that is the case, it will likely get really hot.
  13. creighta

creighta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great find! I have had 2 roketas. POS out ta the box, but good bikes with some TLC. Definitely go to auto zone and get all new fuel/vac lines. Buy a lawnmower solenoid, if you don't need it yet you probably will. Don't check the valve stems, pull them and replace them. I had one blow apart like they are known for, bad news. You will also need to adjust the valves. I have done this on every gy6 I have encountered. They tend to not tighten the guide nuts. Don't worry, the valves are a 10min job after you have done it once.
    Last, if it has a vacuum fuel shutoff scrap it and put on a ball valve.

Youwil not regret this bike if you can wrench on it yourself.
  14. ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info and links, everyone :D I'd have posted earlier than this, but things have gotten just a bit busy. I will definitely get new valve stems, vacuum and fuel lines, fuel filter, and a new fuel shutoff as well. Scoot Dawg looks like a great forum and I've registered there, but haven't had a chance to post yet. I did find at least one good thread there - New Scooter?? ORDER THESE PARTS BEFORE IT ARRIVES

I do actually have a few updates. The first is that the title was indeed clean and has been transferred to me :wink: I took a pic on my phone so that I could remember what the mileage was down at the DMV:

[​IMG]

When I got back from the DMV yesterday, I thought I'd see what I could do in the little bit of time that I had. I took the storage tub out from under the seat for better access to the engine and all and I connected jumper cables from my car to the battery terminal leads on the scoot.

[​IMG]

I'm still not sure what the round thing in the green circle is or what the two green wires are - one of the green wires is connected to the round thing. I tried connecting the green wire, but nothing changed. It would crank, but wouldn't start or run. Then I took the green lead back off and connected the red wire that looks like a ground. The bike immediately started and ran when I hit the starter button - IT'S ALIVE :clap

There are still plenty of electrical connections I have to go through. The headlights and brights worked while the engine was running, but the brake light is always bright and I don't have to apply a brake to activate the starter. In any case, it was really good to hear it run :deal

[​IMG]

Like I said, I'm going to go through and replace what needs to be replaced. This hose is a good example. I don't know what it's connected to, but it can't be good the way it is :lol3 Can anyone tell me what that hose is and what the thingy is that it's connected to?

Also, does anyone know how many feet of vacuum and fuel lines I'll need for this project?

Thanks again and I'll let you all know when I have another update :1drink
  15. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    gald it runs so far.
  16. ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer:

OK, time for another minor update. Remember how that battery was dead? I tried adding distilled water and setting it on charge, but that didn't get too much of a charge. I went ahead and drained out the water and replaced it with fresh battery acid before leaving it on the charger overnight. I took it off charge this morning, rinsed the outside off (there was still a little bit of acid on it in places), and left it until this evening. I hooked the battery up to the leads on the scooter and something awesome happened...

IT WORKED :wings

New battery acid was only $5 or so where a new battery would've been $60 :1drink

My next order of business will be getting another key cut, getting the vacuum & fuel lines, and getting the oil changed. I'll also have to order up the new valve stems and petcock. It won't be too long at all until it's on the road :wink:
  17. creighta

creighta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't tell much about the thing in the second green circle from the pic, see the valve cover and vac line. Is the other cracked line to the fuel tank? Does this bike have remote start?

Either way, I sold my roketa with 2500 miles for $1000. You did good.
  18. ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer:
    Thanks :D I think I found out that the thing I was looking at is the PAIR system which is emissions related. Chinesescooterreference.com has a great write up on it here. They say:

I went and got quite a bit in the way of supplies at the auto parts store today including a new hose for this system. I'd just rather replace the hose than try to yank the system right now :1drink

I'll try to get another update posted tonight - there's more good news :wink:
  19. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's high mileage for one of the things.:lol3 I was on my 3rd motor at 6000mi. I loved the damn thing but it didn't reciprocate . Belts every 1200 or so miles. Good for around town stayin in the 30-40 mph range but any extended riding beyond that had bad consequences.
  20. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    The thing with the red and green wires looks like a relay of some kind. The red wire is definitely a ground, it goes to the frame. Red is not normally a ground color, they are usually green or brown. Red should be hot. But you can tell from the crimp on connector on that red wire that it is a home spun job.

The part with the rotted hoses appears to be the vacuum fuel shut off valve, but I can't tell for sure. If it is, it will have a hose from the fuel tank, one to the carb, and one to a vacuum source somewhere near the carb.

Adding new acid can rejuvenate an old battery, but I have never seen it last more than a few weeks. Chances are you will still need a new battery soon. But $60 seems like about twice what it should cost. I got a new sealed battery for my XT225 for $50 that is still good after almost 3 years, from Batteries Plus.