will 640 vibration eventually kill us?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by alexanderf, Apr 16, 2006.

1. alexanderf

alexanderf MOONRIDER

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Finally, after 5 years, local KTM dealer (Israel) brought the first couple of 640 adv.(2006 model). I was the second one to order and still waiting for custom clearance, but the first guy is completely destroyed of the vibration. He claims 30 minutes of road riding and his tooth fillings are flying all over the place, he sees double feature and fears early Parkinson disease. is it that bad? or is it something we will get used to. was it less vibrating in early models? it seems the 2001 model we had here in holy land was easy rider comparing to the new one. is it so? anything to do?

seeking all of your good advise.
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    what vibrations?
    :lol3
    actually they get better with breakin and a good tune up. get the jetting right and after the first sevice they'll start to calm down and continue to for the first couple K,miles. they seem to take forever to break in but go forever. Enjoy.
  3. buffallodan

buffallodan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can I jump in on this thread as well? :D I just purchased a TE-610 and it vibrates more than I would have thought. Do the jetting and restricted(read in-line cat) exaust also have an effect on the vibes to some degree, and will opening up the pipe and rejetting also aid in smooting out a thumper? TIA Dan
  4. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    No, the vibrations won't kill you. Anything over a 100km ride may, however, render you sterile.:deal
  5. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    I guess I don't need to worry about birth control then because I rode 680km in one day--more than half of it off road.
  6. digitaldan01

digitaldan01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I motor that vibrates will continue to vibrate, I mean come on it won't magiclly go away. It's something I guess you have to live with, most thumpers have vibrations (although my DRZ is VERY smooth, even better than my VFR I had :wink: ).
  7. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    This question was just posed by another; you must have missed it. Luckly for you, one of the local wrenches took a stab in the dark at a reply (since his post, like yours, is severely lacking in information...) Here it is:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2584162&postcount=191
  8. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    It won't kill you, but it will make you get hairy palms and go blind !
  9. Rumbles

Rumbles Twist the Throttle & GO!

Oddometer:
    Honestly when I read about the LC4 and vibration issues I cannot relate to them because my 05 Adv is exceptionally smooth and is in stock form with 1000kms. I can not say whether mine is better then others or that I'm less bothered by vibration then others. Mirrors are still funtional at highway speeds, my hands have never got numb so maybe I got one that vibrates less then others maybe you will too.:freaky
  10. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only if you die from haveing too much fun:rofl
  11. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The vibration issue is over exagerated. Some people seem to be bothered by a littel vibration and others don't. I rode mine on an 850 mile weekend and I never noticed the vibration as an issue.
  12. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I thought it was killing my girlfriend, with all the screams and thrashing around? I had never seen her exhibit that kind of behavior before? But she said she didn't mind?
  13. buffallodan

buffallodan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I apologise for not reading or searching more but didn't recall seeing the issue of catalyst and their effect on engine as it relates to vibration. I understand jetting and miles will smooth a bike out. I am in a sort of quandry over removing the catalyst. If it makes the bike perform poorly either by increasing vibration or by bieng so hot to melt my fenders then it will get pulled for a freer flowing aftermarket exaust. I know I have read that restriction has an effect but searching can't retrace my steps...
  14. Jeff620RXC

Jeff620RXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:lol3
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    You are a bigger man than I to admit that... :bow
  16. humdinger

humdinger bp

Oddometer:
  17. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Click HERE

Read it.

Any questions?
  18. Roarin

Roarin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I must admit I am mystified about all this reported vibration. I reckon you are just not riding the bike fast enough:lol3
    My '05 625SXC is magic to ride on the road. The knobby tyres vibrate more than the engine. If you try and lug the engine along at low revs it may shudder a bit but these engines love a few revs. Mine is smooth as at about 120km/hr on the road. I find my V4 Hondas put my hands to sleep way more than the Katoom.
  19. WR_guy

WR_guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    96' Dr650 - 200 wr400f street legal -- Hot xr50
    Is that a new 610e or the old kick start style bike?
  20. hawkster

hawkster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm waiting for my 01 LC4 to vibrate less. I bought it used with low mileage and it still has low mileage with 3k. I looked in my mirror the other day and saw four bikes following me but it was my wife on her bike and my buddy on his. The same day the bike railed on the back roads as long as there weren't any straight stretches it was fine. It also refused to idle near the end of the ride forcing me to get it to the garage fast and replace with another bike. The idle mixture screw I bought from Loaded vibrated out!!

So maybe at lower speeds as a commuter bike it's fine, but I believe multi cylinder bikes are more suited for street riding. I already re-jetted and am going to adjust the valves so that may help.