KTM 690 Enduro vs. BMW X-Challenge

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Skaife, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Skaife

Skaife --------------

Oddometer:
    Need some assistance. I've pretty much got my next purchase narrowed down to either the KTM 690 Enduro or the BMW XChallenge.

The BMW sounds like a solid platform and all who report, seem to be really pleased with it. On the other hand, the KTM appears to be getting some better reviews, although they are limited in number since we don't have them in the states yet.

Here's my take thus far:

KTM:
    +More power
    +Lighter weight
    +Larger tank
    +Fuel mapping

-Uknown reliablibity
    -Not currently available
    -Higher pice

?Maintenace intervals??

BMW:
    +'real owner' possitive reviews
    +Maintence intervals
    +Reduced price from dealers

Am I missing anything? Anybody have any input or advice?
    My needs are 90% dirt, 9% road and 1% performing maintenance.
  2. Mikey Monger

Mikey Monger When pigs fly...

Oddometer:
    Yes. The Husky TE-610.
  3. 666

666 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add used 640 adventure.
  4. smithy1

smithy1 been here a while

Oddometer:
    Parts availability from BMW is excellent. Even odd parts. Worse case scenario is the part gets shipped from Germany and it is in your hands in two weeks (try that with husky parts). Most parts can be had in inside of a week.
  5. hcmiller92

hcmiller92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't compare the X-Challenge to any of the other bikes and in this forum, no one seems to like BMWs anyway, always indicating every other marque has far more to offer for less money. In any case, I did buy a X-Challenge to learn with in the dirt and for commuting. It has ABS and I paid $6,871 out the door! This is a brand new bike. I've put a few hundred miles on it over the past couple of weeks and llove the bike for what I paid and for the purpose for which I bought it. I think $6,800 is about righ for this bike and I'm happy I bought it. Probably wouldn't be so happy at $7,800, though.
  6. WR_guy

WR_guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    96' Dr650 - 200 wr400f street legal -- Hot xr50

Just for the record I own a race 3 huskys and I have NEVER failed to receive any part I have ordered more than 4 days from Halls in Ohio...and it takes at least 2 days for delivery. I've ordered some rare and bizarre stuff too.

The BMW is a neat bike and prices are good. They are a little on the tall side for me and the motor a little slow reving but they are a good buy @ $6k for a new leftover.
  7. BobCWNC

BobCWNC Orange lithotripter

Oddometer:
    Loght weight, low mass, more power and great suspenders? KTM would be a better choice IMO.

I saw a Xcountry the other day, and was not really impressed. One of the standouts was the front forks, not hardly adjustable at all and the owner complained about it seesawing under braking.

That said, I don't know if the X-challenge has better forks...
  8. smithy1

smithy1 been here a while

Oddometer:
    I will admit that this was an unfair jab on my part. I have never owned a Husky. I have heard stories but we have all heard horror stories about all brands.
  9. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the very top you already declared the KTM better :lol3 I think the biggest concern with the BMW is the air shock. I personally don't like them. Here is a post I put up on the TE610 thread but the same can apply to the BMW

- The 610 has around 50hp the 690 has 60-65 (same as BMW)
    - Te610 smaller motor but weighs more (309 pounds) 690 (305 pounds)
    - Motor (Main reason) I don't like the idea that the 610 motor is based on a really old design, as stated above approximately 15 years! The new 690 motor is suppose to be very smooth and have heard nothing but great reviews from 2007 690 supermoto owners (same motor)
    - They both come with great components so that is not a factor.
    - My friend had a 2006 SM610 and it was a nightmare, he had tons of problems with it, another one with a 2007 SM610 with issues.
    - I have owned several other KTM's and love them (6 to date, zero problems)
    - (personal reason) I have an extra set of SM wheels from my KTM 450 that should bolt onto the 690 with some new spacers
    - Final Decision (looks) Seriously the KTM is soooooo much sharper looking :lol3

I hope this helps, it did for me :evil
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    What I find amusing is that the X Challange is the one bike in the BMW line up that is CHEAPER then the competition. :lol3 And it happens to be the one BMW I would actually consider buying. But not over a 690 E.
  11. dircha

dircha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I chose the BMW because the KTM wasn't available and the Husky was a little too unrefined for me and doesn't have good dealer support in my area.

But I also don't do serious dirt riding, and am someone who prefers to pay to drop my bike off for routine service rather than spend half of a day on the weekend doing it.

The only shortcomings of the BMW for me have been the front forks, that it's about 20-30lbs heavier than it should be, and the lack of aftermarket support.
  12. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sold two bikes yesterday and now am in the hunt for a bike to replace my Honda XR650L, A good friend has the X challenge and the problems he's had are, Battery failed, rear fender too heavy for work in dirt, will fall off. air shock wore through and failed.

I called the local KTM dealer to see if they had a 690 enduro in stock but they do not, sale guy said they can get one on short order but mgmt won't bring them in for stock.

Are they in the country? The sales guy said yes but I've read that they are not as yet.
    Dudley
  13. reconsmr

reconsmr Banned

Oddometer:
    I've ridden the SM690, I was expecting alot more. The 63 HP sure didn't feel like it. Power is dead till about 4k, then it gets going but its over at redline, around 8800 IIRC. Good, yes, smooth, yes, appreciably better than a sorted 610 Husky, no. The chassie for the SM favors short riders, seat to peg is tight, Enduro might be better but looks similar.

BMW does nothing for me, "wierd to be wierd, not better", seems to be their motto. Air shock, no thanks. Painted plastics on a dirt bike? Sorry. 5 speed trans, good enough 25 years ago, not today! Its no wonder this model failed, doubt it'll be back next year. I'm a big KTM fan, have 2 now but I'd get another TE610 if I had to choose in this catagory, Renazco seat, a few mods and parts are easy to get, sumoto wheels, plastics, suspension mods, all well known and available for a solid platform that has been around in several forms for over a decade, proven in racing and here at Advrider too.
  14. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Correct. May is the new date. Sales guy was full-o-beans. Try finding a diff dealer. Also, most dealers got 1/4 of the number of 690s they requested. More supposed to arrive later in the year but maybe there will also be supply issues due to the poor $ x-rate.

Given the original posters percentage breakdown I'd have to say that the KTM would be a better fit. The suspension components are a lot better quality and I just don't trust that air shock. Of course the counter is the old axiom "never buy a first year KTM". Fortunately the motor has been out for a while so it's not so bad.
  15. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    The BMW air shock is permanently attached, so you can never upgrade to an Ohlins:lol3
  16. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    Sure. buy the bike, throw a few hundred at the rear shock, a few hundred more at the front forks. Question, when you close your eyes do you see a blue roundell on a chain swinging pendulum fashion in front of your face? :1drink
  17. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Actually, I'm far from the typical BMW blind Kool aid sipper, but some guys love to trash a bike they've never ridden:lol3 I'm 6-2 240lbs I havent found a bike yet that I havent had to throw money at to fit me correctly:deal

When I had my 640 ADV, It needed a main bearing (crazy eh), and front forks springs and a revalve, rear spring and revalve, new seat (sore ass) and better lighting.... Wow, $1000 and gasp..... it was a KTM:lol3

When I close my eyes, I see black and when my eyes are open, I see black and white.......

The 640 was a blast and I rode that bitch all through Alaska, but I decided to try another brand, just for fun. :lol3

[​IMG]
  18. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    And is the original poster 240 pounds too. Maybe he is, otherwise this isn't a particularly relevant observation.
  19. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I just hit up the KTM website and saw that the 690 enduro only has 9.8" of front and rear suspension travel???

Is this bike just intended for the street and dirt roads?
  20. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Only 9.8 inches....its amazing how times have progressed. But I would venture that the bike would be too tall for even the taller riders if it had the 12 inch suspenders. My 950 does exceedingly well with only 9 inches or so of travel. I would guess the bike will do everything short of big hitting motorcross tracks with the suspension it has...or after a spring and revalve :evil