Possibly Need To Rent/Hire A Van/Lite Truck To Take Our Bikes Back To The US

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Two Moto Kiwis, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Like the title says, anyone here have any leads, we are in La De Marcos, 4 day from the border basically, Ellens body is not going to cope trying to get back so we have to formulate a plan to get the bikes back to US so we can reshuffle.

Again any help appreciated.

Many thanks Andi
    One And A Half Moto Kiwis :D
  2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Bummer.

Can you leave the bikes someplace, and find a nice place for R&R?

Can you iron-butt it on one bike back to the US, then go back and get the other bike?
  3. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get to a Castores warehouse (http://www.castores.com.mx/) in Puerto Vallarta or Tepic and strap them down to pallets and wrap them in plastic for shipment up to a border town. Rent a uhaul in the states and use it to pick up the bikes at the Castores warehouse in whatever border town you shipped to and haul them where ever you need to take them in the states. Flying into Tuscon and driving down to Nogales to pick up the bikes would probably be the easiest option. If you'd rather hire a pickup truck and driver to drive them straight to the border then that'd cost more. Once businesses are open tomorrow I can make a few phone calls for you to see what it would cost. There are car carrier services that would probably do it too. Whatever option you go with would probably involve getting your bikes down to Puerto Vallarta or up to Tepic by whatever means available. Probably some guy's pickup truck for $50. (extra points awarded for chicken bus though) Whatever you do, don't forget to cancel the TVIPs for both bikes when you leave or you'll have trouble when you come back to Mexico.
  4. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would find a someone with a pick up and hire him to transport both you and the moto's to Nogales or Tucson. I am in Kino until next week, but back in Tucson, so if you need any help let me know. The bus system is fantastic and cheap, I think Tufsca runs daily to Nogales if you find someone to ship and need a ride. I have a great mechanic in Tucson, if he can't do it, he will know who can.
  5. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Cheers mate, we are 1600 km from the border but now sorted, nothing money can't buy, got a lift, two bikes and both of us back to Nogales in a ute $1300 US :eek1 but Ellen can't ride so either way we are in the poop, get back get done and get on with the trip, we can still earn money down the track to fill in the hole.
  6. AndrewT

AndrewT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stephanie and I just saw this and the twomotokiwis report and pics - glad Ellen's going to live another 30 or 40 years anyway! Best of luck with all, and let us know if we can send anything.
  7. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm up in Phoenix if you make it this far north and need a place to crash or store some stuff.
  8. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    Might be able to help once you're in Nogales... What are the plans once in the USA?
    Neil
  9. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Neil

We are supposed to arrive to Nogales Tuesday night so will stay there I think, plan is to clock out the bikes, get TVIP refund sorted on Wednesday then head to Phoenix, we have a friend there were we are going to get the new bike shipped to and make assessments from there.

Not sure the plan to get from Nogales to Phoenix??, I may have to ride Chiwi back up and just hang on tight as she is bent.
  10. noshoes

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted, I can probably pick you up in Nogales and bring you to Phoenix. I'd need to know in advance to tell my boss what I'm doing. Neil
  11. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    PM sent Neil.

Started stripping the bikes for the trip up, both wheels off, chain guide off, forks out so short enough to fit in the ute.

Sit them down on the bashplate and away we go, two days in the back of a ute.
  12. noshoes

Oddometer:
    See you Wednesday.

:thumb
  13. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two Kiwis
    When in Nogales Sonora I stay at The Hotel San Carlos Jurez 22 Centro it is about 100yds from the border fence near the exit into the U.S. and has a very safe closed parking garage,400 pesos a night. Just a suggestion as it will cost you a lot more accross the border in Nogales Arizona. Plus its right beside the Hotel Regis Bar which is a lot of fun with a lot of history.
  14. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Let me know if there's anything I can do to help from PV.
  15. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Advice taken thank you.

We are all coul at this point ... chomping at the bit here, just wonna get things sorted, settled and done and on the way but one or two things to do prior.