TRANS FLORIDA GS RALLY II March 8th, 9th 2014

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by kaosrider, Jan 1, 2014.

1. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This Event is the first weekend of Daytona Bike Week, March 8th and 9th from the Ocean to the Gulf AND back.

(Reverse Rally begins March 7th)

[​IMG]

This Rally is an overland challenge in which you will have to follow a route sheet (route holders are highly recommended).

This Year we have an entirely different routes from last year. Actually 2 of them, a Big Bike Route and a Small Bike Route.

The Trans- Florida GS Rally -Route Starts in the Palm Coast Area of I-95 on the Atlantic Ocean and travels to Cedar Key, on the Gulf of Mexico on Saturday March 9th. There will be a Party and Dinner in Cedar Key Saturday evening at the Seabreeze Restaurant at 6:30pm. Everyone will need to make arrangements to stay in the Camp Ground in Cedar Key or one of the local motels. There are many motels for under $90 a night if camping is not your thing. Split a room with a buddy and this will be a great time. There are also 2 RV parks should you have a ground crew for your Rally Team.

Palm Coast area Hotels, there is Fairfield at I-95. Also search for Palm Coast Villas, a very reasonably priced place in Palm Coast.

The meeting place for the start is the Shell Station on Palm Coast Parkway NW & I-95. Meet up and sign in begins at 8:00am, riders meeting at 8:30.

March 9th, Sunday will be the return trip, a different route and new objectives. Sunday morning we meet up at Annie's Cafe on Cedar Key for breakfast. Sunday evening will be the closing party/ceremony at a Palm Coast Restaurant. Finish will be between 6-7:00pm. 7:00pm is the latest to be counted.

The route will be traveling over paved and unpaved roads. There are 2 routes, 1 for big bikes and 1 for small bikes, (however, not for those who have never been offroad). This is NOT a beginners ride. The routes are long, estimated to be 500 miles for the 2 days.

The Route Sheets will include objectives that must be met each day in order to score points. These objectives will be simply to locate the road side feature and take a picture. Or get a receipt when filling up with fuel at one of the gas stops. It may also be a receipt for ice cream in a certain small town. The instructions will be provided in the route sheets. The days are long 200+ miles, however they will wind through old historic areas of Florida, seldom seen by tourists. Gators, bears and such are a possible feature. Small bikes can do the big bike route and vise versa. More points will be scored on the small bike route versus the big bike route. However, I would not want to do the small bike route on a big bike. It will be very difficult for a big bike on the small bike route as it is intended to be challenging for a small bike.

If your Rally Team has logistical (wife/husband) members who prefer a more laid back day, they can enjoy the town of Cedar Key while awaiting your arrival, with your hot tub and sleeping quarters :lol3.

Expected door prize sponsors- Jax BMW, Cycle Gear, Sargent Seats
    This Event is a Rally Type Event in the Following

Bike Size Catagories

Class A 800+

Class B 550-750

Class C 250-549

Class D Classic (Older than 1995)

The Rally Riders Check-In and Route sheet pick up 8:00am - 8:30am
    The Rally Riders Meeting will be at 8:30am

Rally Fees - There is no fee. You will however need to make your own camping/motel arrangements. There is only one camp ground in Cedar Key so most will likely be there. You will also be responsible for your own meals. We will be making party arrangements at a restaurant at both ends. How and where you want to eat is up to you. This is intended to be a low cost way to enjoy Florida and Bike week while visiting our State.

This Rally is put on by a very small group of ADV volunteers in North Florida loosely referred to as CADS. This event is intended simply for the enjoyment of old and new friends with motorcycle interests.

Last Years Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861583

In the weeks leading up to the Rally we will be posting up more details.

Places to stay in Cedar Key

A nice RV park with tent space is Rainbow Country RV park

Motels suggested were Park Place, about $90., Nature's Landing, about $115., the Beach Front, newly owned and totally renovated, Faraway Inn, and Island Place (next to Gulf View).

Palm Coast - Side

Anyone that wants to camp near Flagler Beach or Ormond Bch. there's Tomoka State Park, Holiday RV and campground at I-95 and Old Dixie Hwy, and Gamble Rogers State Park on the ocean just north of Highbridge Rd. and A1A. Also Beverly Beach C.G. is north of Flagler Bch on A1A .

Starting area is Palm Coast Parkway and I-95, the Shell Gas Station. Targeted finish area is Palm Coast. For those that did this last year, this area is basically one exit north on I-95 from last years starting point.

If you plan on joining the fun please post up that you are IN, so we can make enough route sheets and give establishments some heads up in the objectives areas :evil.

So get ready to start your engines......

Reverse Rally - March 7th, There will be a Group leaving Cedar Key Friday Morning running (Sundays) route. We will meet at Annie Cafe in Cedar Key at 8:00am, riders meeting around 8:30. Ride to Palm Coast, a place will be announced that we will meet u for dinner on Friday night. Then we will join in with everyone for the Saturday route, Saturday night's dinner party and awards in Cedar Key will be at the Seabreeze. This was not our first choice, however it is the only place that can handle 70+ people.

IN Rally

Huzband +1
    Bobby Ginger
    brewmann
    Kyle B
    Chicken Helmet
    DRZ
    Kaosrider
    waybill
    SamIam
    Day13
    Slimy
    D6066
    motomike14
    sfront
    roadking99
    GS Jim
    Kubano
    woodsatyr
    Onebadscooter
    Mr Guns
    Molly
    Poe + 3
    Next40
    EStoner
    slimy
    jdeberry
    cgollmd
    lesmeister
    Iamadventure
    CJames904
    Hawkman
    TwisttillIdie
    Tn3sport
    Bulitt
    Rgonaut
    rheritage
    Daytona Mike + 1
    darz
    DaveInStAugustine
    Seatec
    beemerbum
    racer
    reubenRN
    adv5110
    cbechtle
    olcee
    neiton2b2
    bradluke0
    Cecil
    Larry
    Rony
    Visian
    Super Tee
    Flywheel Jones

IN Reverse Rally
    lb1943
    FastNspeedy
    Kurtzinpa
    Footloosefour
    Sfront
    Millerman1855
    RadRider
    Tailhooker
    JerryIup
  2. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    In with the Katoom, unless of course The Wife wants to join me. In that case we'll be on the GS/A.

Been looking forward to this since the last one.
  3. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    IN!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. brewmann

brewmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I missed last year. In, god dammit !
  5. Kyle B

Kyle B "Dirty Jobs"

Oddometer:
    Lost in the hills of SW VA/ Winter in SW Florida
    Not in yet, but will be looking for team mates at the Polar Bear rally. I'd like to do this. The timing looks good this year.
  6. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumperâ„¢

Oddometer:
    In
  7. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    This was fun last year. I'm ready to do it again. :freaky
  8. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be rolling in on about 3 hours sleep, but I'm in.
  9. sfront

sfront Chaos in Motion

Oddometer:
    You know I'm there....
  10. roadking99

roadking99 Semper Fi Member of the 2024 GS Trophy Team

Oddometer:
    I'm way in. Now which bike to ride. :1drink
  11. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:

I am thinking GSA this year. We can call it the GS Giant train. :deal
  12. Kyle B

Kyle B "Dirty Jobs"

Oddometer:
    Lost in the hills of SW VA/ Winter in SW Florida
    If I do this, it will definitely be on my GS!
  13. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, I'd love to take my TAT tested Harley Dirtbag on this, but its the same weekend as the antique bike meet :cry
  14. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Doug, do both. Friday and Sat. morning in Eustis. One of the main routes comes within about 20 miles of the Eustis Fairgrounds, pick it up mid day to Cedar Key then Sunday do half a day and back to Eustis or finish it off to the coast., simple. Besides, I wanna see your bike : )
  15. FASTnSPEEDY

FASTnSPEEDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Won't know for sure till closer, but will probably be in for this year again. Last year was a blast.

I'll just make sure to bring a little extra gas so I'm not on fumes rolling into Cedar Key (thanks to the wankers for offering a tow if I didn't make it).

Camping Note:
    There is a public camp ground at shell mound a few miles north of town which was (I think) $5 per person per night. I was too lazy to drive all the way there last year so I just setup my tent in the woods off the road, just don't sleep through breakfast like I did....
  16. Eickey

Eickey Underwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk:lurk:lurk
  17. roadking99

roadking99 Semper Fi Member of the 2024 GS Trophy Team

Oddometer:
    The GS it is then.
  18. GS Jim

GS Jim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just put in my leave request, hopefully I'll be in :dunno
  19. millerman1855

millerman1855 Beer Man

Oddometer:
    Alrighty, definitely IN for this ride. Missed last year due to it falling on St Patty's Day. Can't wait....
  20. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    The water crossing is a little under water :evil

[​IMG]