DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC, it pops out the top. Can be removed using typical "dental pick" tools. Just be careful not to gouge anything and you'll be set. Pretty easy, actually.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  2. wawarides

wawarides where's Laura0107? Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're near a Batteries Plus store, you could see if they have this one. I've never tried it, though; I always just use Yuasa.
  3. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    +1

"Dig" it out from the top. Just make sure you get everything out and the hole is nice and clean before you try putting the new one in or it won't go. A little oil in the hole and on the new seal will help it slide in.
  4. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Thanks $ 2.75 seal $ 5.50 shipping :freaky
  5. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you asking if anybody has one for sale, or who prefers quiet over aftermarket loud? My 250 came with a scrapped-together POS homebrew pipe that sounded like crap, so I found a good used pipe on FleaBay. Nice and quiet.

I did the same with the gutted pipe on my new '98 XR400... stock quiet pipe from eBay. I hate loud pipes.
  6. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
    Just put on new front sprocket, rear sprocket, chain, changed the oil and adjusted the valves.

While I had the tank off, I took a pic of my security switch I installed. I don't have a fancy key ignition like the SE owners, so I put on a kill switch before the spark plug and stuffed it to where I can barely fit my fat finger under the tank and engage it.

[​IMG]
  7. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    I've thought about doing something like that, but if I'm really nervous about where I'm leaving the bike I shift it into a high gear (4th, 5th or 6th) and switch the headlight all the way off. On the Baja Designs handlebar switch I have the bike won't run with the switch in that position. I figure most thieves won't know that, and even if they figure it out they're going to make a lot of noise stalling out repeatedly before they ever find a gear they can take off in. :lol3
  8. TopDeadCenter

TopDeadCenter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick question about the auto decomp on a '94 se. Is there supposed to be a lever sticking out of the valve cover? I thought the auto decomp models didn't have anything there. Mine does but doesn't have a cabel or bracket. Am I missing something here? Did someone put an older head or motor into this bike?

TDC
  9. canyonkid

canyonkid Does it Matter

Oddometer:
  10. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    As likely as not only the top end would be changed if someone messed with the engine for some reason. If the bike does indeed autodecompress then those parts are inside. If it doesn't then it needs a cable and lever fitting.
  11. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
    My ADV stickers finally came in.

[​IMG]
  12. Bonerov

Bonerov Damned dirty ape

Oddometer:
    Nice ammo boxes. I have a pair of boxes that I want to install on my DR, but haven't figured out how I want to mount them yet. I will likely end up having a buddy help me fab up something custom. So many projects, so little time (and money).
  13. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
    Thats what I ended up doing.
    here is the thread if you need some idea on where to start.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824069&page=4
  14. O'Hooligan

O'Hooligan Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a CDI unit they want to sell? Or where to find a reasonably price one? I have a 96 DR350SE, but I believe any 94-99 SE model will work.
  15. ctjohnson

ctjohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Greg. Install was easy and the new boots look great.
  16. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    I don't think the E-start engine has a decomp cable and lever. The 94+ dirt models have the same auto-decompression cam and have a decomp lever, even though you don't really need to use it.
  17. Bonerov

Bonerov Damned dirty ape

Oddometer:
  18. TopDeadCenter

TopDeadCenter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is what I was thinking. The guy I bought it from is supposed to get me a box of parts for the bike including a skid plate and a sprocket cover. I will see if there is a lever in there.

The code list doesn't differentiate between engine codes just frame VIN. At least the frame VIN matches the year and my title. That's a plus.

TDC
  19. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you end up needing a skid plate, let me know. I've got a couple I'm selling cheap:

http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/for_sale_parts_dr350.htm

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  20. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=dr350cdi&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Dang I did not know that CDI's were that expensive. I jsut keep my eye out on ebay. Someone will come by with a part out and sell all teh parts for 20 bucks each.

A DR250 will kind of work. According to Pablo, it will run the bike. Has more aggressive timing, spark advance, rev limiter (not sure exactly what all those mean). Says his bike will ping at lower elevations with the DR350 CDI.