ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Visigothic

Visigothic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you have the newer up coming version,same as the EXC enduro motors. Check out KTM's web site and look at the current non-Factory Ed 450 SXF .
  2. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Anybody in the CA bay area have one of these yet? Would like to take a couple of measurements off a bike that would only require removing the handlebar perches.
  3. Visigothic

Visigothic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2012 500EXC on top and the newer 2012/2013 450SXF "Homologation Rule Frame" on the bottom.

It does appear that the newer frame does lean the motor forward a tad more. I doubt the "HRF" can use the same PDF shock due to the mounting point being too far back in the frame. There may be no way of utilizing the same frame for two different types of bikes without even more modifing . I guess raising the swing arms mounting point aft would work placing the shock even more horizontal by a few degrees. But hey I'm not an engineer.:dunno

Remember this is being done to address AMA MX rules. I don't race so I don't know if the same rules would apply to Enduro races as well. This seems to have come from KTM fielding a bike that is not available to the public yet as a production race model after the fact. The "HRF" seems to have more in common with the current 2012 EXC frames than either one have with the older SXF or EXCs of 2011. Hence the the newer gen. "HRF" and current 2012 EXC frames could stay the same for a while. Just a guess. These are different tools for different missions. Time will tell.

side note : the current non "HRF" 450SXF frame came out in 2011 this would mean only a two yr run for this chassis and a one yr. run for the current 2012 EXC if it were to change.

More on the "HRF" 2013 450SXF http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/M...INSIDE-RYAN-DUNGEYS-2013-KTM-450SXF-8333.aspx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. snow

snow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is anyone making a rack for the 500 EXC.
  5. techno boy

techno boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try Highway dirt bike.com.I ordered 1 for my 350 today,same frame.
  6. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    It all depends on how much rack you want and what ou will be hauling

ANYTHING highwaydirtbike is selling is top notch.

Promottobillet has one too but it's smaller.

For my needs I am promotto billet on this one.

[​IMG]
  7. snow

snow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Promottobille really looks clean I will order it tomorrow. thanks for all the help.
  8. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    There it available yet Justin Cole is the guy to talk to. They will be ready this week or next . They just got everything back from anodizing and they still have to be packaged.

ABYSS
  9. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Link?

ktm950se
  10. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. trystan

trystan n00b

Oddometer:
    hi guys i am new to the forum and was wandering if any of you could prvoide me with some data for this engine?

Our university is building a small formula style car. We are considering the engine form the 500exc because it looks to have an impressive power to weight ratio. The only issue is there is very little detailed information on this engine at present. The information im trying to find at the moment is:

1. An exact weight for the engine alone
    2. A value for maximum hp the engine can produce (i read 58hp in a review but need confirmation)
    3. A torque curve
    If anyone has any of this information or any other technical information regarding the engine, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Trystan
  12. heetseeker

heetseeker Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer:
    Any thoughts on an expanded tech/faq link thread for this bike? The interest of this bike should rival many other bikes of late.

Also looking for a 4 gal tank for my 'to be delivered' 500. Any vendors yet?
  13. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    If I was getting a rack, I'd get that one, but I don't make any racks, why bother when there's something like that out there.

You must have meant ProMoto.
  14. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    That kinda confused me as I didn't know you made racks but I wasn't going to call you and ask I know how busy you are. I do know if you did it would be fantastic like the rest of your stuff. I was nearly going of what e previous inmate said.

ABYSS
  15. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    Have you thought about contacting KTM? Who knows; they may just give you one to use for the PR angle. :deal

16. trystan

trystan n00b

Oddometer:
    hi Bruce, yeah thats what we were hoping for but as of yet have not been able to find any contact deals for the KTM factory or company, we have only been able to find details for dealers. i have emailed my local dealer so will see what they say. if anyone knows of an email address for a KTM main office or factory that would be really useful.

cheers

Trystan
  17. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Aqualine says they will have a 15L ( = 3.96 gallons) tank mid year. They are the only ones I know of that plan to build a 4 gallon tank for the 500EXC.

Or, you can buy the Promoto Billet Rack, in a few weeks, and install a Rotopax 1.75 gallon fuel tank on it and have a total of 4 gallons. I might do that until the 4 gallon tank becomes available.
  18. Upsandowns

Upsandowns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I first started riding my new 500 EXC, it backfired and popped both loudly and continuously under decel, and it was difficult to restart after a fall or drop. After reading Harcus's comments and directions that can be found on pg 17 of this thread, #'s 252 and 255, I proceeded to follow his advice and removed the canister and the auxiliary air circuit. Thus far, the bike runs like a top and almost 100% of the backfiring and popping has disappeared and it starts immediately after a fall.

However, every magazine review and/or article I have seen lately, and there have been a lot of them, recommends strongly against altering or removing these items and warns that doing so can adversely impact the ECU, that "the computer" will know they are gone and some serious adjustments will have to be made. This warning or advice has been repeated by Jimmy Lewis at Dirt Rider, in Dirt Bike Magazine, Cycle News, Motocross Action Magazine and in several other places.

Does anyone actually "KNOW" whether the removal of the vacuum canister and/or the auxiliary air circuit will have an adverse impact on the ECU or any other part of the engine, or are the magazines just including this language to protect themselves from a legal perspective. I love the bike, it's running extremely well, and I don't want to do anything to alter what is the best off road bike I've ever ridden.

Many thanks for your insight and advice.
    Upsandowns
  19. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    Should have got a XCW :)
  20. jtoc

jtoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my 500 xc-w doesn't have any of that stuff and it rips, many ppl have removed all that crap from there EXCs with no negative results that i've read about. (and with 5 feet of snow outside i've read about most of it). as far as the "warning advise", prob just covering there butts, at least that's what i would believe till i hear about any real world problems.